So I used to have an M-Audio Fast Track USB, was a piece of garbage. But I just got myself a Peavey PV6 which is a huge step above what I used to have. But when I record my guitar (this happens on both devices) there's a whirring sound on top, kind of like the sound of my computer is captured in the mix. Although moving the device as far away as possible from the PC doesn't do anything (or other electronics).
Here's an example I recorded just for this.
https://soundcloud.com/7dingleberry8/sound-test-for-recording-help
6 seconds in when I stop playing, that's the sound I'm talking about.
I can put a noise gate on, but when the guitar is playing you can still hear that sound on top of it anyways, so it doesn't do anything.
Here's something else I can't figure out, so this might be related.
The channels have panning controls on the hardware itself. So if I'm monitoring the dry guitar outside of reaper, I can pan center, left, and right. But if I hit the "Tape/USB TO CTRL/ HP button, it allows me to listen to my guitar, as it's processed by reaper. So I can hear the effects I put on as I play, like the amp sim for example. But, Reaper defaults the track to Mono. So if I pan fully left, nothing changes, but once I start to pan right all it does it turn the volume down. So is it possible to have it so Reaper sets it's panning the way it receives the guitar from the mixer?
Like if I plug my mic in, and record through windows, it only records one side. But if you turn on Reaper, it sets it to mono, making the mic come from left and right.
Shouldn't I be able to adjust the pan through the mixer itself?
What I'm thinking is that because it makes it a mono track, it's got the left channel which is my guitar, and a right channel which is nothing, so it's adding gain to air, with nothing coming in.
I don't know if any of that makes sense, but it's frustrating the hell out of me, and I just want some clean recordings.
Quote by Frankieanime78
6 seconds in when I stop playing, that's the sound I'm talking about.
I can put a noise gate on, but when the guitar is playing you can still hear that sound on top of it anyways, so it doesn't do anything.

First of all, that's exactly how noise gates work.

What kind of cable are you using? It could be a bad cable, it could be dirty electronics. Maybe you're just using way too much gain, or a bad amp sim.

Try turning the gain down and cutting some high end frequencies. Try a different cable. That's a start.

Quote by Frankieanime78
Like if I plug my mic in, and record through windows, it only records one side. But if you turn on Reaper, it sets it to mono, making the mic come from left and right.
Shouldn't I be able to adjust the pan through the mixer itself?
What I'm thinking is that because it makes it a mono track, it's got the left channel which is my guitar, and a right channel which is nothing, so it's adding gain to air, with nothing coming in.

What is your input setting? I'm not sure how exactly the PV6 works, but if you set the input on a track to stereo, you should be able to hear the panning. If you put it to "left line", it would sound in mono, with a decrease in volume if you start panning it right. Not sure if I make sense, but ask away if you don't understand something.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
First of all, that's exactly how noise gates work.

What kind of cable are you using? It could be a bad cable, it could be dirty electronics. Maybe you're just using way too much gain, or a bad amp sim.

Try turning the gain down and cutting some high end frequencies. Try a different cable. That's a start.

What is your input setting? I'm not sure how exactly the PV6 works, but if you set the input on a track to stereo, you should be able to hear the panning. If you put it to "left line", it would sound in mono, with a decrease in volume if you start panning it right. Not sure if I make sense, but ask away if you don't understand something.

A noise gate can remove the sound even if it's sitting muddled in the guitar track..?
But okay, so I set the gain to 5, track volume to 0 (default), and the master slider to 0 (default). With a distortion tone you can hear it. If I turn the gain down to 0, the channel volume to 0, and the master slider all the way down (all on the PV6 itself), the sound is still there, but obviously can't hear the guitar at all. Once I disable my amp sim (amplitube 4) the sound goes away.
But I don't think I'd be using too much gain in amplitube itself. If I dial in the most generic metal tone. With the screamer gain-0 tone-5 and volume-10, ENGL, 6505, or rectifier all with the gain between 4-7.
The guitar channel on the PV6 has gain, bass, mid, treble, post fx send (not sure what that one's for but changing it at all does nothing) pan, and the channel's volume. Which goes from at the far left to +15 with a clipping light. Than on the far right is has volume for the headphones in a turn knob, and master level slider which I sit at 0 or lower.
I've also tried free amp stuff like the LePou amps, kefir and such. As well as BIAS FX Desktop.
There's got to be something wrong here, the signal is boosting a lot between monitoring dry guitar through the hardware, to reapers output. When monitoring the guitar with everything at 0, I can comfortably listen around 5 on the headphones volume. But once I switch to reaper, and have no fx or vst on with the track just set at 0, the dry guitar is quieter by a bit. So I can turn it up to about 6.5 for the same volume. But than once I load Amplitube or anything else with gain, I have to turn it down to 2.5-3. So there's a lot of gain going in somewhere I guess.
And sorry I don't know how to set reaper to do that (so hardware controls the audio panning)
Also, I'm using a yorkville cable. Bout 5 years old. No physical damage, no noise in the amp, and other 4 cables give the same sound.
I don't think it's a computer problem, because my M-Audio box did the same thing, and I used that on 5 different PCs. Don't think it's the hardware themselves since both my interfaces do the exact same thing.
So something isn't right in reaper, or whatever settings I have things in Windows. I must not be setting something right.
Is is power line noise? If you have a laptop and use it on battery when recording, does the noise persist?
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
Quote by G-Dog_666
Is is power line noise? If you have a laptop and use it on battery when recording, does the noise persist?
No, I'm using a custom built desktop. Although I do have a powerbar with all the plugs taken up. Has my 2 monitors, phone charger, lamp, PV6 and logitech speakers. Than the spare outlet on the wall has my desktop in it. Never really thought about power issues like that. Think plugging it into a different source would help?
First off, that noise is your pick-ups. The best remedy is usually just to make sure your guitar isn't aimed at your computer screen (monitor). If that doesn't work, you have have to try power conditioners or having a buddy help you record with you in a different room using a DI box. Also, the first answer you got is correct, noise gates don't just filter out noise, filters do that. Gates just open and close.

As far as your panning issue, it sounds as if you have something set wrong. If you pan one way and don't hear anything it's because you only have one channel hot on a stereo track. Just make sure you have everything set to mono: your interface, your input, the track, etc.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
First off, that noise is your pick-ups. The best remedy is usually just to make sure your guitar isn't aimed at your computer screen (monitor). If that doesn't work, you have have to try power conditioners or having a buddy help you record with you in a different room using a DI box. Also, the first answer you got is correct, noise gates don't just filter out noise, filters do that. Gates just open and close.

As far as your panning issue, it sounds as if you have something set wrong. If you pan one way and don't hear anything it's because you only have one channel hot on a stereo track. Just make sure you have everything set to mono: your interface, your input, the track, etc.
Nope it's not my pick ups. I can unplug my guitar, turn down all the volumes, and the sound is still persistent with no decrease or increase in volume. Different guitars cables, or moving the guitar into another room makes no difference at all :s And when I'm talking about panning, it's if I adjust the pan on the box itself, not reaper. So yea, if I pan the hardware right it cuts the signal. Left does nothing.
When I change the input on the track in reaper, there's mono 1, mono 2, and stereo 1/2. 1 is where my guitar's plugged in, and 2 is where my mic's plugged in. If I choose channel 1, I hear both guitar and the mic. Same with channel 2, both guitar and mic. I'm not trying to use channel to, so why is it listening to that?
3/4 and 5/6 also don't appear in windows or ASIO4ALL. I an listen to them through the box alone, but not in reaper or windows in any way.
The mic thing has nothing to do with the noise in my tone, I just plugged my mic in to start setting that up. Mic wasn't present up until now, but if I'm recording guitar through one channel, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be hearing the mic too.
Quote by diabolical
Did you have that issue with the previous audio interface?

The M-Audio one? Yeaup :s It happens when I increase gain in any amp sim. I understand why that would happen, but I'm not cranking things to 10. I set it like I would my amp.. But that issue where my other tracks would bleed into my dry guitar is gone thankfully, since that was the old crappy one
Quote by diabolical
It must be just natural noise amplified by tge distortion or just the guitar pickups.
Did you post sample?
If that's all it is, how do people get around it? What holds me back from getting tracks recorded is how frustratingly bad the guitar sounds to me..
But yea, look at the very top, I posted a sound cloud link with a sample of what I hear
Also, Windows does the same thing with panning. Why doesn't windows receive the device the way I hear it in the hardware itself? Same panning issues, with everything defaulted to center
Quote by Frankieanime78
If I choose channel 1, I hear both guitar and the mic. Same with channel 2, both guitar and mic. I'm not trying to use channel to, so why is it listening to that?

Ok, I think I get it now. It's almost as if it's reading the master channel. Do the input options in Reaper actually correspond to the device? Because it sounds as though something's not configured correctly. As someone else said, could be ASIO. I have all the same options on my laptop (mono 1, mono 2, etc) and that's without a proper interface, I just use analogue.

As a test, try setting the input on your DAW to stereo and pan the guitar centre on the interface. You should be able to pan the guitar channel left or right in the DAW with no volume difference between the two sides. If so, that would suggest that the DAW is just reading the interface's master.

As for the noise, if it's not the pick-ups it must just be system noise. They sound the same, it's just that the pick-ups often exaggerate the noise by feeding it back. Usually aiming them away is enough but it sounds as if you may need to look into other options (power conditioners, etc).

In the meantime, you could try using a noise gate in you DAW, set the threshold just above the volume of the noise with fast attack and release.

Hope that helps!
Quote by diabolical
Drop ASIO4ALL, there's something misconfigured in that setup that has been messing you up with the old interface and now with this one, that's how it appears to me.

Well I never used Asio4All before. The fast track had it's own asio driver software that came with it. I'm only using Asio4all now since this Peavey PV6 apparently doesn't have any sort of drivers :/
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Ok, I think I get it now. It's almost as if it's reading the master channel. Do the input options in Reaper actually correspond to the device? Because it sounds as though something's not configured correctly. As someone else said, could be ASIO. I have all the same options on my laptop (mono 1, mono 2, etc) and that's without a proper interface, I just use analogue.

As a test, try setting the input on your DAW to stereo and pan the guitar centre on the interface. You should be able to pan the guitar channel left or right in the DAW with no volume difference between the two sides. If so, that would suggest that the DAW is just reading the interface's master.

As for the noise, if it's not the pick-ups it must just be system noise. They sound the same, it's just that the pick-ups often exaggerate the noise by feeding it back. Usually aiming them away is enough but it sounds as if you may need to look into other options (power conditioners, etc).

In the meantime, you could try using a noise gate in you DAW, set the threshold just above the volume of the noise with fast attack and release.

Hope that helps!

Hmm, so you think the computer it listening as a master mix?
I tried playing guitar with my brother at the same time. There are 2 separate channels that can run at the same time, so it seems like that's how it should be right?
Well if I enable a track, doesn't matter if it's USB 1 or 2, both guitars come in at the same time. So if I set one track to USB 1, and another track to 2, and pan them left and right. Both guitar signals are coming into each track, so it sounds disgusting.
So no matter what I do, it seems like it's listening to everything all at once.
I have no idea how to get Reaper to listen to them separately :/
Also, I contacted Peavey about Windows not recognizing channels 3/4 and 5/6, and she told me Windows isn't supposed to pick up those channels. They're for other mixing scenarios that don't involve the computer. So that kind of sucks -.-
And yea I know, I have a noise gate set, but it sounds absolutely awful, you can hear it over top of the guitar tone. So just having it not there while I'm not playing doesn't help the mix in any way :/
This mixer apparently outputs the stereo bus to usb. I don't know why there are no drivers? Maybe you can chance the right configuration. Maybe pan on mixer one hard left and one hard right and they should come on usb1 and usb2.

Why you didn't get proper audio interface and you're suffering with another dodgy recording solution is beyound me at this point. Get a 2 input interface like Presonus Audiobox, Saffire or even the new 2 input Behringers with proped drivers and stop giving yourself headaches.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 27, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
This mixer apparently outputs the stereo bus to usb. I don't know why there are no drivers? Maybe you can chance the right configuration. Maybe pan on mixer one hard left and one hard right and they should come on usb1 and usb2.

Why you didn't get proper audio interface and you're suffering with another dodgy recording solution is beyound me at this point. Get a 2 input interface like Presonus Audiobox, Saffire or even the new 2 input Behringers with proped drivers and stop giving yourself headaches.
Yea, I've tried that. I've contacted Peavey about that as well, so hopefully they'll get back to me.. And well it was at our local pawnshop, and the guy that works there is a guitar player. He always hooks me up with free strings, nuts, screws and odds and ends like that for guitar. He recommended it to be a good mixer, and it's Peavey.. So I didn't expect anything less. The hardware itself is fine, but it either isn't meant to do what I want it to (but than why bother add USB), or my setup is very flawed.. But yea our music store in town just got these in stock for 140.
https://www.amazon.ca/Behringer-UMC22-Audio-Interface-Preamplifier/dp/B00FFIGZF6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1459074872&sr=8-4&keywords=behringer+audio+interface
They have one setup to demo with studio monitors and stuff. Wasn't too impressed by it when browsing online, but after seeing it in person.. It's heavy, sounds good.. So idk, I might look into it. But at least than I have something that can do all mic stuff fine. Sounds a lot better for that at least. But yea, this audio stuff is a huge pain, I don't know how people can deal with it as a career >.>
Quote by Frankieanime78
But yea, this audio stuff is a huge pain, I don't know how people can deal with it as a career >.>

That was the least confounding part of it, dealing with studio owners and idiot musicians was a lot harder than learning the hardware

Did you try:
Say two channel you and your brother, guitar in each channel, you are panned hard left, your brother hard right, at the USB setting that lets you monitor through Reaper. Then in reaper you create two new mono tracks and assign input 1 to yours and input 2 to your brother's, then pan one hard left and one hard right as in the mixer, then hit record and see what happens?

BTW, that nasty noise seems to me more like machine noise. Do you get that when you play the guitar clean? Try different USB cable, something of better quality, say Belkin?
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 27, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
Found this on the Peavey site, did you do this setup:
http://assets.peavey.com/literature/additional/116922_25881.pdf

It won't be just Win7, you'll need to do it on newer, I think that explains why it is only one signal.

Yeaup, I've tried that with my brother. When we're panned separately, both signals come into both our tracks :s And I'm not sure if it's making a mono track, but I just right click "insert new track". And even when I right click the track and try all the "force input>mono" and stuff like that, does nothing. And yea I select channel 1 and 2 for us separately. :s
And yeaup, I've done that too, set it to "2 channel 16 bit 44.1khz". Everything I've tried to do doesn't seem to correct this problem..
And yea I'm thinking it's some sort of electrical interference. You can't hear the sound with no gain on the track. But as you add gain, it slowly gets worse. Get it amplifies whatever inaudible interference is happening >.>
Quote by Frankieanime78
Yeaup, I've tried that with my brother. When we're panned separately, both signals come into both our tracks :s And I'm not sure if it's making a mono track, but I just right click "insert new track". And even when I right click the track and try all the "force input>mono" and stuff like that, does nothing. And yea I select channel 1 and 2 for us separately. :s
And yeaup, I've done that too, set it to "2 channel 16 bit 44.1khz". Everything I've tried to do doesn't seem to correct this problem..
And yea I'm thinking it's some sort of electrical interference. You can't hear the sound with no gain on the track. But as you add gain, it slowly gets worse. Get it amplifies whatever inaudible interference is happening >.>

Oh, and I'm running Windows 10. But it has the same audio settings as such as 7. I'm really good with computers, so I understand how to use all this stuff.. Just nothing I try seems to work >.>
I'm thinking that this is reaper! I'm jamming with my guitar plugged in right now, and I opened the sound panel in Windows because I was curious if the input on Windows side was picking up the guitar. I figured it would since there's only one new device added to it. Didn't notice, but it says "2- USB audio codec", and it's not picking up my guitar at all. So there ARE 2 channels on this, but for some reason Reaper doesn't notice that..