Hi,

I've recently decided with my band to tune both guitars into Dropped A# tuning. I own a Iron Label Neck-thru RGIT20FE Ibanez with 648mm/25.5" Scale. I was wondering if I should let a technician make a proper job in order to change my currently .11 strings or if I can change them myself.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!
Quote by Revocation89
Hi,

I've recently decided with my band to tune both guitars into Dropped A# tuning. I own a Iron Label Neck-thru RGIT20FE Ibanez with 648mm/25.5" Scale. I was wondering if I should let a technician make a proper job in order to change my currently .11 strings or if I can change them myself.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello? Any suggestions please
That's a pretty minor string gauge change. I'd DIY, and if there are any issues, take it to a tech.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Revocation89
should let a technician make a proper job in order to change my currently .11 strings or if I can change them myself.

Any Suggestions? ...[ ]...Thanks
The only thing I can possibly envision going awry, is one or more of the top nut grooves might be a tiny little bit too tight, causing the strings to stick when tuning. It would be very apparent should that happen, as the strings simply won't sit on he very bottom of the grooved. These can usually be easily enlarged, with a common "torch tip cleaner", available at most larger home centers in their tool department. Sears would also have these things. They're about four bucks, pretty much wherever you go.

As you can see from the image, this tool has a multitude of sizes, which usually coincide nicely with the top nut grooves across the board. As long as you're careful, gentle and take your time , you should heve no problem getting the heavier gauge string set on and working.
I would save yourself the hassle and potential muddy tone and get a 7 string, their pickups are generally designed to handle the lower frequencies without sounding like total arse.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I am currently using .12s as well on a fixed bridge Schechter and I have .11s on my Ibanez. I am hoping to use .13s (Ernie Ball Baritones [.13-.72]) eventually. Which guitars have the strongest necks? I don't want to damage the neck too much.
Quote by leivdomen
I am currently using .12s as well on a fixed bridge Schechter and I have .11s on my Ibanez. I am hoping to use .13s (Ernie Ball Baritones [.13-.72]) eventually. Which guitars have the strongest necks? I don't want to damage the neck too much.

Bass guitar necks are exerted under far more tension than guitar necks despite them being constructed in exactly the same way. You're not going to cause damage to a guitar neck by putting very heavy strings on it so long as those gauges are appropriate for the tuning you're using and the neck relief is appropriate.

If the neck does warp or twist, it'll be caused by something else other than string tension.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee