So I recently managed to come into a very interesting piece of history. I was oggling a 2006 Fender American strat from a shop near where I live, only to find out that it was pre-owned by Blixa Bargeld of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

As a result I'm very interested in finding out more about this guitar. I have attached some pictures; I know that it's a 2006 model, and an american strat, but that's all I can find to have to go on. I've been trawling through YouTube to see if I can find it played on stage anywhere, but I thought I'd post this just to see if anyone recognises this guitar and could direct me to any video or even some bootlegs with it on!

I also wanted to ask advice. This guitar seems to have had the lacquer removed from the fretboard at some point. I've never seen an unlacquered maple neck from fender so honestly I've got no clue how to look after it! From what I can tell it's not been waxed or had any other kind of finish put on in replacement of the old vintage gloss.

Do people have advice for what to do to keep this in good condition? I have to say the way it plays without the finish is phenomenal, feels 100 times smoother and you don't get that slight stickiness when bending that I've grown to tolerate on fender maple necks.

I hope people have some useful information, and if anyone wants some higher definition pictures, or any more details, don't hesitate to ask!
Attachments:
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
Last edited by jamicmac5 at Mar 24, 2016,
kinda feeling like this is a parts caster. no serial number is never a good sign. the truss rod access point doesn't seem to have the walnut plug (could be pic though). the pick guard is clearly not stock and the pickups don't look to be either.
That fretboard looks really awkward compared to the neck...
And I don't understand what stickiness you're talking about when playing with lacquered fretboards. I have zero to no issues with my custom that has a lacquered fretboard, I guess it's when the fretboard has really small frets, which the "new" American standards certainly don't have. For me, the problem is a sticky lacquer neck, but that's an easy fix.

To sum my point, I wouldn't go for it... it's certainly not at all stock or even slightly modified, as has been noted by monwobobbo.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 24, 2016,
Hi guys, thanks for the replies so far. I should have mentioned that several of the parts were changed out. I have the original pickguard and backplate (both of which are white). I do agree with you, the fretboard looks very different to the rest of the neck, but judging by the very tiny amounts of lacquer still left near the ends of the bottom few frets it definitely did have the original lacquer to start with.

I've got some much higher definition photos for you guys here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2n9cggfnjmqn2j4/AADGQt86c1OdfundJADyjnYja?dl=0

Really the main question I'm trying to get answered is what to do about the fretboard!
Last edited by jamicmac5 at Mar 27, 2016,
@monwobobbo where are you expecting to see a serial number? I've attached a dropbox link above with some much higher definition pictures. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate the response and of course I would like to know if I've been lied to so I can get my money back!

That said I still love how it looks and plays and I know for a fact that it has been used on several tours with the band!
Last edited by jamicmac5 at Mar 27, 2016,
Quote by jamicmac5
@monwobobbo where are you expecting to see a serial number? I've attached a dropbox link above with some much higher definition pictures. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate the response and of course I would like to know if I've been lied to so I can get my money back!

That said I still love how it looks and plays and I know for a fact that it has been used on several tours with the band!

yes. the fender decals are all messed up as well. do you know exactly what model this was supposed to be?

dude if you like the guitar that is what counts what documentation did you get proving this was his guitar?
Quote by monwobobbo
yes. the fender decals are all messed up as well. do you know exactly what model this was supposed to be?

dude if you like the guitar that is what counts what documentation did you get proving this was his guitar?

Yeah I spotted that too. I wasn't the one who bought it, it was my step dad. He's got some stuff, but the guy who sold it didn't seem to know all that much about it. I think it's just been very beaten up over it's touring life. I just spotted that the case says it was used on the 14th of November 2014 by The Specials at The Roundhouse, so now I'm just incredibly confused!! haha

If I'm completely honest, I'm just asking out of personal interest, and because I want to know if messing around with the pickups, or getting the fretboard relacquered is going to kill it's value or not!
Quote by jamicmac5
Yeah I spotted that too. I wasn't the one who bought it, it was my step dad. He's got some stuff, but the guy who sold it didn't seem to know all that much about it. I think it's just been very beaten up over it's touring life. I just spotted that the case says it was used on the 14th of November 2014 by The Specials at The Roundhouse, so now I'm just incredibly confused!! haha

If I'm completely honest, I'm just asking out of personal interest, and because I want to know if messing around with the pickups, or getting the fretboard relacquered is going to kill it's value or not!

what stuff? as soon as the seller says he doesn't know much about it that is a flag. if he bought from the guitar player then i would think he'd have taken a picture and had the guy sign something. without that the guitar has no value past what it is. as far as refin well yes that would devalue the guitar some. no serial number really devalues it though. without it you can't really be sure that the guitar is what it says. stickers seem to be on top of laquer and not applied well. again i think it's a parts caster.