I recently bought a Ditto (tc electronic) looping pedal from my local guitar shop. After attempting to use it for the first time, I discovered that it wasn't turning on/recording although it was connected to my amp (Roland Micro Cube) and the sound was perfectly fine. Considering my amp is portable and can also run on batteries, I decided to try plugging in the 9V adapter to my pedal while leaving the batteries to my amp. Everything works great. The problem with this setup is that my amp requires 6 AA batteries to run, and that is a major pain in the ass to keep replacing. I'd much rather leave the 9V adapter plugged into my amp and use the 9V battery for my pedal. I went out and bought another battery, hoping that the first one was defective. I tried the new battery and it doesn't change anything. I can still play with it connected, but the recording doesn't work.

My roommate/friend brought it back to the store for me (since he knows one of the owners), explained the issue and asked them to replace it. They tried it out and my friend claims it worked perfectly. I'm left to believe I'm doing something wrong. My guitar is plugged into the mono input jack and my amp is plugged into the mono output jack. I have tried doing the same with stereo to no avail.

To make this easier to read, here's the situation in point form.
- Batteries aren't defective
- Setup is proper
- Works when used with 9V adapter
- The sound coming out of amp is perfectly normal
- The Pedal is "true bypass" (if that's worth noting?)

Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Firstly, never go plugging in adapters into anything unless the power parameters match. Check that out here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1688869

Secondly, it sounds like those guys at the shop used an adapter and you were using battery- and the battery circuit is broken somehow. Also, be sure you are using the pedal properly. Sometimes it is the simple, easy, dumb things that get missed. :p
Maybe you need to take the pedal up there yourself. They can show you if you're doing something wrong, or if (like Will said) they plugged in the adapter instead of the battery.

You can get an adapter for 10 bucks on Amazon, too.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
The ditto looper does not take a battery. It only runs on a power supply that is not provided.
Are you by mistake using a stereo cable from the guitar output to the pedal input? If that's the case, the battery will never be used in the circuit.
To reply to everyone in a reply ...

- I'm using mono cables for both the input and the output
- I'm using the "ditto STEREO looper" from tc electronic. There are 4 ditto loopers, 5 if you count the gold one and 6 if you count the mic one. The one I'm using does have a 9V battery slot.
- My friend told me they used a battery at the store

I did some more investigation today and realized that I may have been stupid enough to leave my pedal running over a few days with the battery. When I came home with the second battery, I immediately put it in and then left for the night. The cables were still plugged into the guitar, pedal and amp, although the power was off. I only tried it a few days later to find that it didn't work. Apparently your supposed to unplug everything, especially if your pedal doesn't have an on/off switch like mine. For those now wondering about the first battery, it was years and years old and stored in a cabinet without the box, so it may have already been drained. Now, is a few days enough to drain a new battery if it's not really being used? I don't know, we'll soon see after I buy another frickin battery and test it out. Hopefully this is all due to my own stupidity and I won't have to worry about a replacement since my 2 week warranty is already up. If the new battery doesn't work, then I'll take ryan's advice and go to the store myself. I'll keep this thread updated.

Now about the power supply thing... the pedal says it's a 9V Direct current 100mA
The Roland Microcube power supply that I was using is a output 9V Direct current with 500mA
Can I still use it?
And the input on the adapter is completely different and much higher. What is the point of the input? Just how much electricity it takes, then converts to output?
Last edited by lucasoppen at Mar 26, 2016,
Yes, leaving the pedal plugged in will drain the battery, and a few days could be enough for it to be empty.
Regarding your questions about power supplies: You always have to match the volts, but the ampere rating of your supply can (and should) be higher than the ampere rating of your pedal(s). So in your example you will be fine using the supply of your microcube.
The input just specifies what Mains electricity it expects to be plugged into, for example 120V/60Hz in north america or 230V/50Hz in Europe.
I really recommend getting a simple power supply for your pedals, a One Spot should be enough for now a costs only 20$.
Buy high end batteries, there are more expensive 9v battery version for photo, etc. I used to make 9v power packs back in tge day myself by putting 6 1.5 volt batteries in enclosure which Radio shack sold and run cables out of tgem, those usually lasted about a month or longer as the strain isn't as bad on the cells.
I appreciate the good advice Luke. I'd think about getting something like a "One Spot" once I get a few more pedals. For now, I'm just going role with the batteries.

Diabolical, I was thinking about getting rechargeable ones if those exist.
Maybe try the more expensive alkalines, those last longer:

Or this battery holder, I used to build these with kits from Radio shack, maybe if size is not an issue, get same type but for bigger batteries, like D.

Watch polarity though, if tip needs to be + make sure it matches. These packs with D batteries could last forever on a single pedal.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 26, 2016,
Bought a standard 9V battery, installed it, and the pedal works great! Happy to say it was my own stupidity that caused this. Remember to always unplug your pedals... even though I might be the only one who actually needs that advice.

Thanks for the help everyone
Last edited by lucasoppen at Mar 27, 2016,
Diabolical, size is an issue. It needs to fit in the pack of the pedal which is really tight as it is. I'd probably go for the alkalines until I invest in a pedal power supply.
Last edited by lucasoppen at Mar 27, 2016,
This one I posted earlier comes in a pack that can be stored outside if you think you'll need longer run times.

Go with Alcaline batteries first, I think Best Buy still sells them and some photo places if there are still any left should have them. I used to buy them for cameras all the time but once I discovered the benefits (had a pedal that drained traditional batteries in an hour, alcaline 4-6 hours) I kept on buying them until I finally yanked the whole pedal board out and went for a processor for my effects.