Poll: New Amp or New Guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: New Amp or New Guitar?
New Amp
17 61%
New Guitar
11 39%
Voters: 28.
Okay so I need to make a decision. I currently own an LTD EC50 and to be honest, its really not that great anymore. Its my first electric, and the cheapest les paul style guitar I could find. I also own a Laney P35. Its a decent amp with a 10'' speaker and loads of digital effects but the dirty tones are not great. Ive decided to make an upgrade, but I have to choose between a new guitar or a new amp. The Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro really wows be and fits my budget, but will my amp hold it back? What would make a bigger difference - a quality amp, or a quality guitar?
I'm not really familiar with the amp, but in a lot of cases, upgrading the amp will give you a better overall rig than a new guitar.

The real issue is what sound are you trying to get out of your setup?
Usually I'd say amp, but at this price point it'd probably be the guitar. That having been said I'd recommend you save more until you can upgrade to something a bit higher up the ladder
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Guitar!

It will inspire you to play more/get better. A new amp may sound marginally to significantly better in certain circumstances, but a shiny new, better playing guitar and you'll get much more playing time and enjoyment out of the gear. My 2 cents!
Quote by clappers_ted
Okay so I need to make a decision. I currently own an LTD EC50 and to be honest, its really not that great anymore. Its my first electric, and the cheapest les paul style guitar I could find. I also own a Laney P35. Its a decent amp with a 10'' speaker and loads of digital effects but the dirty tones are not great. Ive decided to make an upgrade, but I have to choose between a new guitar or a new amp. The Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro really wows be and fits my budget, but will my amp hold it back? What would make a bigger difference - a quality amp, or a quality guitar?

A quality amp will make a bigger difference in how you sound, a better guitar will make a bigger difference in how energized you feel when you pick it up and start playing.

One way to help sort things out is- if you can- take your guitar to a nearby shop and try out your guitar on better amps. You might find that the difference is big enough that it matters more to you right now than a new guitar. Or you might find that it costs too much to buy an amp that makes an appreciable difference in your tone right now.

To REALLY nail it down, repeat the experiment with your amp and different guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^ Yeah. I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as "always get the amp".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm living proof of that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

If your guitar holds back your playing, then it seems clear that the axe has to go. If you are looking for sound improvement, amp all day.

In your case, it might make a bit more sense to grab a new guitar, the EC50s I have played have been pretty lousy.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm not really familiar with the amp, but in a lot of cases, upgrading the amp will give you a better overall rig than a new guitar.

The real issue is what sound are you trying to get out of your setup?

I mostly use a crystal clear clean tone, and less of gain, only because the gain I receive isnt very pleasing to the ear. Even on a mild crunch tone, everything gets muddled. I dont know whether its a problem with the amp, or the guitar, because I am aware that the EC50 has below average pickups and electronics.
I'd get a guitar, if you are not opposed, go used you'll be able to get a higher caliber instrument for the same cash that you'll pay for a lesser quality new one.

The guitar will get you you stoked into playing more and it won't be long you'll be saving for a new amp, again used is a great option, I have 14 guitars all of them are pretty nice in the $1000-$1500 range when new. 13 of them were used and I paid $500 each for 2 of them $400 each for 2 of them and $350 or less for the rest of them.

Only one, a Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster, was bought new and I regretted that for that $500 I paid for it I could have got a much nicer used modern player.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 25, 2016,
Another issue is that tube amps here in India are unreasonably expensive. A Marshall DSL40 costs $1000+ equivalent here. Even If I get a new amp, the best I could do is grab another solid state one, and would that really make a difference? Something I could reach for is a Marshall MG 30/50 CFX.

Also I dont play much live at all, so performing isnt really a criteria for me.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'm living proof of that.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fender Mustang 2 12 Inch Speaker 40 Watts Free Downloads Abelton Live Lite 8 And Etc
Quote by dthmtl3
In this case, I would say guitar. And stay away from Marshall MGs

What if he wants to sound like worker bees having a mid-air, strap-on mini-chainsaw gangbang?
Nothing in that price range is at all worth it, honestly. I've never found an amp that I like in that range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Tough call really. Both are just as necessary to have nice ones of to me. A lower quality guitar can be less comfortable to play, tuning stability issues, cheaper frets that wear out faster, etc. A lower quality amp can completely kill the nice tone of a good guitar. So you kind of have to decide, do I want to have a guitar that's going to last longer and feel nice, or sound good but have to dump money into repairs my guitar often? It's difficult to balance out. But I am voting amp because they can be more expensive than a really decent guitar usually now when you buy them new.
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ I've also got an interest in this. Is there a good cheap plain-vanilla clean-only SS amp, that is, one that doesn't come cluttered up with digital modelling/FX and accepts pedals well?

If I was taking that angle, I'd save for a Roland JC-120* and be set for life, considering how cheap they get secondhand.

*Or a JC-40 if I didn't have the space, but the 120 has such low resale value it's rarely worth the saving in any other case.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Mar 26, 2016,
I'd go for a new guitar. basically you can try get a good tone out of your PC with some software. I'm not a great fan of that but it might work.

Also, you might get a good distortin pedal in front of your amp that might sort out the sound at a fraction of the price. take your gear to a local guitar store and try all the pedals they have to choose which does the best job with your guitar and amp.
Gibson LP Custom
ESP KH-2
USA Dean Rust From Hell 35/100
Washburn N4 Corina 1/75
Washburn EA20S NB
Squier Hello Kitty
Dean Dime from Hell Baby
Randall Warhead (sale!)
Krank Rev Jr Pro
Yamaha THR10X
Looking for tone... start with amp
Looking for playability... start with guitar

Personally, I started with amp
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
I visited a local store recently, the Epi LP Standard costs $850 equivalent here, whichis way too expensive for me now. How about getting replacing my pickups for now and picking up a better amp in the near future? I really dont know much about pickups and its not something I can try out either. What would you guys suggest? I dont play a lot of high gain stuff. I'm Looking for a Warm clean tone and a really good crunch.
As much as I'd like to recommend you some pickups, you'd actually be better off saving your money and buying the amp first. Amps are the biggest factor in defining your tone; pickups fine tune it.

That doesn't mean that swapping pickups isn't in your future. But just thinking about "warm, clean tone and a really good crunch"? That's almost all about the amp.

you can get a pretty decent tone out of a line6 pod. what are some used pod options near you? i got along with one for some time when using an amp wasn't really an option. (thin walls, small living quarters etc).

i grabbed a used pod 2.0 for cheap and was very impressed with the tone i got out of a $50 used piece and some decent headphones.

i also agree that upgrading your amp down the road with a better budget is preferable. like danny said pick ups are better to fine tune a good amp tone than fix a bad one.

you can use the pod through the clean setting on your amp to be loud. it's not like you can't actually play loud with a pod. you don't gig, but if you did, you can run it straight to the PA.

maybe go real cheap now and continue to save towards a bigger upgrade later? i know it's sort of a side step but i think you'd get a better tone for cheap now and not take too much away from what you're saving.

good luck! that's just my .02.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd get a guitar that's good enough to keep long term that you are comfortable with and inspires you. Then save up and (especially if you're going to buy a tube amp) take THAT guitar to try out your next amp. In most cases the variance between guitars of the exact same model will be a lot greater than amps of the exact same model (barring worn out tube of course). And I'll be frank here, you'd have to a mental defective to take an amp to audition a guitar! You don't play the ämp, you play the guitar and the amp simply amplifies it.
It sounds like you're budget conscious so I'd second the "take some time and look at used options too approach" as you'll likely end up with a much better guitar for your money assuming you're budgets not too tight.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 2, 2016,