Many of the things that are deemed incorrect by the new guidelines are not actually mistakes, and I personally would not reject a tab for using them. They are not the result of carelessness or a lack of effort. I would like to ask for clarification of some of the rules and the reasons behind them.

No tuning on the left
The tuning typically does not change throughout the song so putting it at the beginning of every staff is unnecessary. Stating it once at the top of the document should be enough.

Parts of a song need to be marked
What if the song has many sections that cannot be classified as verses and choruses? In my previous tabs, I have used timestamps. Are these still allowed?

There shouldn’t be references to parts of a song in the tab
If a part repeats later in the song, does it need to be written out in full again? This just makes the tab longer and full of redundant information

Reprise format is not allowed in the tabs
It's unambiguous and serves the same purpose as writing "x2", so I'm not sure why it's classified as incorrect

+ for Natural, Artificial, Tapped, Semi, Pitch harmonics
These are different techniques producing different sounds, so representing them with the same symbol makes no sense. What's wrong with [brackets] or asterisks*?

N for tremolo
Just to be clear, does this mean rapid repetition of one note?
I'm used to seeing tremolo notated like this:

Also, why did you choose N?

Length of notes is indicated
I've indicated the length of notes in my previous tabs and no-one ever complained. Again, not sure why this is considered incorrect, seeing as it is relevant to the song, and particularly useful for solo sections.

A two-tiered system
Level IV users do not go through the approval queue and can continue to submit tabs using their preferred formatting and additional text. This new system means that levels I, II and III are judged by more strict standards than level IV's. It also means that many submitted tabs will not follow the formatting guide. If your goal was to standardise the formatting across the site, this is counterproductive.

Moderators editing tabs
I tried to make my most recent tab fit the new guidelines as closely as possible but it was still edited by a moderator prior to being accepted. They removed the title, tempo and tuning information and added symbol explanations which do not appear in the tab itself. They also messed with the spacing between staves, and the alignment of the names of the instruments (guitar 1, guitar 2, etc). Basically, they removed relevant information and added irrelevant info instead. Will they be doing this for every tab in the queue?

I'm currently tabbing a very long song and I don't want it to be rejected over minor discrepancies in formatting, so I thought I'd ask beforehand.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 25, 2016,
I share your frustration mate.

I have a few tabs where I provide additional information/explanations which are there to provide a BETTER learning experience. For example in one tab I provided a timing count under the tab to better clarify the rhythm. This was removed and it really frustrated me because, what is the point of tabbing if not to make things EASIER to learn?

I think generally if there is unnecessary information that detracts or makes a tab worse, it would be be reflected in the tabs ratings. 95% of the time though I would say the additional information we put in is both relevant and beneficial for the end user.
I agree, i'll just comment on the first few. I LIKE a few lines of commentary/chord voicings/notes by tabbers at the top of tabs, as has been common since forever. Mine (first submission) was just summarily deleted. I wouldn't have spent the time to include if i didn't think relevant. I understand the need for conformity (gasp!) sorry i mean standardization, but we are not robots (are we?).

--I don't mind string labels on each line of tab, especially if not standard, it only takes up one space just cut and paste. But, yeah is not necessary.

--I absolutely do NOT want the chorus or redundant verses repeated in full every time they appear, i will just have to go through and delete them all when i prepare my own sheet. It can actually make it more difficult to suss out the whole song structure, and we have to check them all to see if there are subtle differences.

--Having to repeat the same chords for every verse is annoying and takes up space, don't we have to expect some very basic knowledge from users (you may be laughing rt now), as in, at least listening to the song we're learning? But i realize that sometimes it can be hard to hear a change, and sometimes we don't remember how every verse fits, so this bothers me less.

--We also should be able to submit the same song in different keys, my second one seemed to be summarily rejected, maybe the system got confused.

--I've only submitted chords so far but as a long time tab user i generally agree with the OP's other suggestions.

Thanks
Last edited by tom.minkler at Mar 31, 2016,
sashki

I checked your tabs and the most recent ones are perfect. I think many of the rules since March were improved, changed or lifted. Is there anything that worries you now?
zappp

Hello, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. My original post was made when the new rules were just introduced and there was a lot I was unsure about. I didn't know how strictly they would be enforced. Now, a lot of the regulations are basically seen as guidelines of good practice, rather than hard rules. I haven't encountered any issues since but I will let you know if something arises.

Many thanks
Quote by sashki
zappp

Hello, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. My original post was made when the new rules were just introduced and there was a lot I was unsure about. I didn't know how strictly they would be enforced. Now, a lot of the regulations are basically seen as guidelines of good practice, rather than hard rules. I haven't encountered any issues since but I will let you know if something arises.

Many thanks

cool! I'm glad everyting is okay now