Sold my '76 Fender Bassman 100 and got myself a '78 Music Man HD130. 130W of EL34 power and zero preamp tubes! I miss my Bassman already, but it's off to a good home somewhere overseas.

It's LOUD. Significantly louder than my Bassman, yet it's several pounds lighter and more compact. I can get great clean tones and a lot of breakup. Hi and Lo power modes and selectable impedance are awesome features to have. Lo power mode is still wickedly loud. I really like being able to safely run my two 8 ohm cabs individually. The tone seems to be fatter than what I got out of the Bassman and has more harmonic complexity. While it's a different tone, I find it to be quite similar to the Bassman. The way the HD 130 "feels" is much different from the Bassman.

One of the more interesting differences I noticed with this amp is that my the reverb side of my Flint seems louder than it did on the Bassman. Not really sure how that works, but this amp kicks serious ass and I'm stoked to start gigging with it!
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sweet! Those Musicman amps seem so cool. I've always wanted one (then again, I want most old amps )
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Can we get some clips?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Now you have to play some Clash.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Those amps are incredibly loud IIRC. Combine that with the headroom you can get...
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
i have the combo version. loud as all hell. great sounding amp!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by darkarbiter7
Can we get some clips?

Soon! One of the power tubes rattles horribly and I have to wait until Tuesday to talk to the guy who sold it to me. He also happened to be the amp tech that did work on it. The notes A, Bb and B on the low register cause it. After I get that fixed, I'll do it.

I was thinking about just picking up a quad of 6CA7s tomorrow to pop in since the amp has been biased and checked over. The current tubes aren't new, but probably tested just fine. Not sure if it would be a good idea though.

Any ideas for a DIY damper? Or should I just get a new quad? Worst case if the tech ends up replacing all the tubes, I have a new spare set.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
I'm in a band where the other guitarist uses an hd65 and I'm using a silver face bassman. They sound great together.

Just figured I'd say something to simultaneously make you love your current amp AND miss your old one. :p
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you're having power tube rattle it could be the sockets. It may be worth it to see if tubes fix it, but I wouldn't be surprised if sockets are needed, given that the tubes are suspended upside down in those.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
If you're having power tube rattle it could be the sockets. It may be worth it to see if tubes fix it, but I wouldn't be surprised if sockets are needed, given that the tubes are suspended upside down in those.

How would I know it's a socket issue over a tube issue? I stopped the rattling by touching the rattling tube with a pen. The tubes are Sovtek EL34Gs. I researched them and it seems like the internet was never much of a fan of tbem.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
That sounds like a socket to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, all right then! I'll swap around the tubes and see if the same tube rattles in a different socket. As always, thanks for the insight.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band