Hey there.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good YouTube video or an exercise book that describes how to play intervals on the guitar and specifically thirds fourths and sixths.
Everything I found so far is very pattern oriented. Which is fine, patterns are great, but I want to go further than that.

If there's an exercise book, I'm looking for something with a treble clef and a tablature.

Thanks,

gc.
Quote by cdgraves
If you know what an interval is, then you already know how to play it. It sounds like you should start by learning the note names on your guitar, as that will make the intervals pretty obvious.

I have done that. I cross reference the piano as well. I have not found it "obvious"

If you don't have a reccomendation, there's no reason for condescension.
If you want to practice intervals, you will be doing pattern based practicing. Even if you start getting into more advanced stuff regarding intervallic practice (combinding different intervals and practicing them within a harmonic framework), you will still be practicing patterns.

I'd recommend you start practicing intervals within your diatonic scales. Choosing an interval and then going through that scale with that particular interval. For example going through C major in thirds.

C - E, D - F, E - G, F - A, G - B, A - C, B - D, C. And then back down.

There are 4 ways i practice intervals when doing these kind of exercises. Those are: Up. Down. Up & Down. Down & Up.

The example i gave you is practicing ascending thirds through the scale, meaning up. Then you can do descending (E - C, F - D, G - E etc), ascending & descending (C - E, F - D, E - G, A - F etc) and descending & ascending. ( E - C, D - F, G - E, F - A etc)

Then you do the same exercise with fourths, fifths, sixths and sevenths. Then with triads, then with seventh chords etc.

You can also expand on it and make the interval pattern longer, so go a third, then a fifth, and do that through the whole scale.

As said, it is pattern based practicing. You'll have to be abit more clear about how you want to go "further" than that in order for us to be able to help you.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
try melodic patterns..there are several hundred of them..check the ted greene site..he has about 200 of them - just in ascending order ..

if you want a more intense study try joe diorios Intervallic Designs..that will keep you busy for at least a year

hope this helps
play well

wolf
Quote by gravitycure
Hey there.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good YouTube video or an exercise book that describes how to play intervals on the guitar and specifically thirds fourths and sixths.
Everything I found so far is very pattern oriented. Which is fine, patterns are great, but I want to go further than that.

If there's an exercise book, I'm looking for something with a treble clef and a tablature.

Thanks,

gc.

Check out https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/drastically_reduce_learning_time_with_intervals_part_2.html

To get sixths, adjust the shapes for perfect 5th (7 semitones) shown in that lesson up by 1 or 2 semitones (1 or 2 frets along the string).

[A mnor sixth is 8 semitones, major sixth is 9 semitones]
Quote by Sickz

You can also expand on it and make the interval pattern longer, so go a third, then a fifth, and do that through the whole scale.

As said, it is pattern based practicing. You'll have to be abit more clear about how you want to go "further" than that in order for us to be able to help you.

Thanks. This quote describes where if like to take this concept. I get a ton out of knowing what I'm playing.