Hi there,

I own a Fender Stratocaster Classic Series (70's style) with 3 standards pickups and play it through a Marshall MG15CDR (15 Watts). I am in no way a professional player, I play occasionally, so the amp is rather weak.
So I am looking for a more beefy, juicy sound that's coming from the bridge pickup, as I find the sound that comes from the factory one rather flat. Especially with the overdrive channel from my amp... I hardly use the bridge pickup for any clean sounds really, as I love the mid and neck pickups sound for that.
The reason why I am looking for a replacement is that I started listening to metal a lot more often and now (of course) wanna play some heavier stuff too. But there's no money around for a new guitar with built-in humbuckers. I stumbled across a video on YouTube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEuAEGBpBsU

... from some guy who replaced the single coil bridge pick up on his Strat with a humbucker by DiMarzio. Listening to the sound of his bridge pickup I was like "Damn"... compared to the bridge pickup that is installed by factory his seems to have much more crunch and power, but does not sound too "hummy"/roaring at the same time. Overall it sounds more "saturated", it's hard to describe but you probably know what I mean. Like If I closed my eyes I would not have thought that this is actually the tone of a Strat, because it sounds so heavy on the mids and lows, but there is still a good amount of strat-characteristic treble that can be heard. As you can probably tell, I really like the sound he gets.
Enough now with the prologue, haha.

Long story short... what I am looking for:
- Dirtier, beefier, heavier sounding bridge pickup for hard rock and metal sounds
- Not too "hummy"/buzzy, still want treble in there
- More sustain would be great too!

Now what I want to ask you is: Do you have any suggestions for pickups I might take a look at? Maybe someone has a hot tip for me.
you can always get a H/H , H/S or H/S/S pickguard , they aren't too expensive if you don't mind drilling into the guitar but check the routing , i test guitar wirings on that particular marshall and it gets constantly complemented for how nice it sounds compared to other 15w amps.

H/S pickguards dragonfire
H/H , HSS pickguards from practically anywhere

anything "high output' , i prefer pickups with 4 wires. 4 wire pickups most of the time but not always are technically humbuckers but smaller so the 4 wires can get the classic single coil sound with all the buzzing people put up with or the parallel sound.

the seymour duncan JB Jr, hot stack , hot rails, lil' screaming demon.
dimarzio i'm not the person to ask but the HS-3 and HS-4 or injector (paul gilbert) pickups come to mind

GFS comes to mind for pickups on guitarfetish.com but PROBABLY the loudest pickup you can get for a strat I know of is the Bare Knuckles sinner pickup. It's expensive though.

with a lot of those higher output pickups I suggest a 500k volume pot myself, it's a bit of extra work but you're sure to get all those highs you may be missing out on.

but before you switch the pickup adjust the height; put it close to the strings and see if it makes a difference. To do so tighten the screws on the pickup. the closer it is to the strings the louder it is.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Mar 26, 2016,
yeah a humbucker will do that.

you can either use a single coil-sized one like he did or get a new pickguard like Tallwood13 said and get a full-sized humbucker.

if you still want a fair bit of treble, probably avoid the tone zone (dimarzio).

a better amp would help too, but if you know you prefer the sound of a humbucker it's worth changing the pickup anyway i'd say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?