Hey guys, Im just trying to find out what generally should I look for to replace these humbucker pickups, or should i even replace them to begin with. They are really rusty due to my travelling to humid places and sweaty hands. What brand or kind of pickups should be looking for, with a budget of under 100$, or if there even is something under 100 for a pair. Pretty new to the "modding your guitar"thing. Would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/b7kUK
Well, looking at them tells us nothing. Why do you want to change them? What kind of music do you play?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well, if he's playing singlecoils, it will be difficult to duplicate his tone with HBs- splitting them helps, but it isn't perfect. Still...

With $100 for a pair of decent all-around HBs, I'd look at Golden Age pickups from STEWMAC. I was introduced to them by a luthier who used them as one of his main HB brands, alongside Seymour Duncans and Di Marzios. One of my go-to HH guitars was made by him, and has them in both positions, with coil splitting.
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Electric_Guitar_Pickups/Golden_Age_Humbuckers.html

For @$12 more per pickup than the GAs, you can get Tesla OPUS-1 HBs, which sound very nice. Very clean. I have the singlecoil version in a custom build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB4TnU49f7c&sns=em

For @$22 more per pickup tan the GAs, you can get Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59s, which are among my favorite SD pickups. The Godin Belmont (I own one) has one as its bridge pickup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAI0JUbO6Uo&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 27, 2016,
you can get humbuckers which are constructed like two single coils together. might be worth considering, though i haven't tried them and have no idea how well they work.

failing that, something on the lower end of the output scale like danny is suggesting is probably the thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Series or single switching will get you well towards that single coil direction, as noted, and Dave_Mc's suggestion of a humbucker with 12 alnico slugs and single switching should get you even closer. However, like him, I have never tried them.

If their tone has changed, I would lay long odds it isn't the pickups. - Could be the strings, the amp or even your ears.

If the pickups are 4-5 wire types, I personally would be experimenting with series/single/parallel switching before buying new ones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
you can get humbuckers which are constructed like two single coils together. might be worth considering, though i haven't tried them and have no idea how well they work.

I know the ones made by Rio Grande work great...but they're well outside the price range.

yeah i haven't tried any of them. and common sense suggests that if it sounds better split than a regular humbucker, it might not sound as good when it's not split... which might not be a compromise you're willing to make, even if you would appreciate better split sounds.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My personal experience with splitting HBs- so far- is better sounding pickups sound better than lesser ones, even when split.

Or to put it possibly more clearly: if you want a good split HB sound, you need to buy better sounding HBs to start with.

that may well be true

getting the output right should help as well- you want the split to be similar to a single coil, and low output hums are normally a bit weak while really hot hums are a bit hot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?