Hi,
Picked up a Blackstar HT-5H amp head. I wanted to build a speaker cabinet for it. It has 2 x 16ohm and 1 8ohm speaker out. What would you guys recommend as the speaker for my build? or if I were to buy a speaker cabinet, what would be the appropriate fit for this? I have plans to use it in gigs and practice at home.

Thanks.
12" 8 ohm V30 would be my choice. You can run nearly any amp with that.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
12" 8 ohm V30 would be my choice. You can run nearly any amp with that.

I'd be right there with that choice.
Great little head, I have the Blackstar HT-1 Metal head and it's an amazing little practice amp. Luckily I picked up the 408 cab for a ridiculously cheap price, but I'd go either V30 or G12H-75 Creamback (or just make a 212 and do both).
Initially I was considering a Celestion G12 H 100. A local guy is selling one for $75.
My local Guitar Center has this Kustom kg412 (4x12) cab. I didn't even consider it until I played and listened to someone playing and that cab sounded really good. It's used and they're selling it for $99 (might give me some % off). The only issue with that cab is, it's 4 ohms but I think I can re-wire the speakers to make it 16 or 8 ohms.

Thoughts?
I personally don't like the combination of a low wattage amp with a cabinet containing four speakers.
Quote by dspellman
I personally don't like the combination of a low wattage amp with a cabinet containing four speakers.

Who would have guessed...

TBH, I'm not much of a fan either, and although I haven't gone your route, there's very little I need that I can't get done with a 1x12.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Who would have guessed...

Ya know....

Friend of mine has a 4x12 loaded with EV's. I think the Black Flag versions. 250W or more *each* capable. We ran the HD1500 (about 1400W bridged, mono) through it, and it *finally* rendered low end. Still beamed treble, but all the bottom that's usually missing when you crank a Marshall 100W made an appearance! It was a bit muddy, as expected, but there. I don't think that cabinet has EVER experience that much internal air pressure. We were expecting the back to come whistling off.

I've run my EVJrs through my 4x12s, though, and while I was a tad surprised that they sounded okay, I was definitely not impressed.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 28, 2016,
Quote by eclipseG
I was only leaning towards that Kuston due to the price and the sound quality I thought was great. I haven't tested it with my 5watts amp yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestion-G12H-100-Vintage-Speaker-/172127142214?hash=item281393c146:g:VGQAAOSwh-1W37cb

How's this speaker?
Thanks for the help.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/downloads/G12H100-specs.pdf
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 29, 2016,
Just bought an Eminence Private Jack 50 watts speaker. Got a pretty good deal on it. Would that be a good choice for the HT-5W? I will be building a cabinet this weekend.
Quote by eclipseG
Just bought an Eminence Private Jack 50 watts speaker. Got a pretty good deal on it. Would that be a good choice for the HT-5W? I will be building a cabinet this weekend.

That is a nice speaker with British voicing. I had one for a while in a 1x12 ext. cab. It rarely gigged so I sold it. Totally legit tone though.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by eclipseG
Initially I was considering a Celestion G12 H 100. A local guy is selling one for $75.
My local Guitar Center has this Kustom kg412 (4x12) cab. I didn't even consider it until I played and listened to someone playing and that cab sounded really good. It's used and they're selling it for $99 (might give me some % off). The only issue with that cab is, it's 4 ohms but I think I can re-wire the speakers to make it 16 or 8 ohms.

Thoughts?

That G12 is a very neutral voiced speaker.....it comes factory in fender mustang 3s and up to 5.

It is ideal for a modeling amplifier, because the voicing of the speaker doesn't pollute/influence the sound of the digitally modeled cabinets.

Plus a 100watt speaker powered by a 5 watt amp is going to make the sound output much "cleaner" because the speaker will be nowhere near "breakup" territory.