Hey guys,

I just started using pedals.I have a PRS SE custom 24 FR which I run through Blackstar HT1R on cleans.I use MXR Fullbore metal for distortion ,I can get Pantera ,Metallica,Modern Metal esque tones, but I can't dial any good rock blues tones.It sounds like hell even if the gain knob turned a little from zero
So I'm looking something to play classic rock like Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd and blues.
Since my amp don't have bass,mid and high knobs in amp will an eq pedal along with an OD help me in getting different tones ? I'd like to tinker around a little bit..thanks
what's your budget? wamplers have a good rep (i haven't tried them) but they're pretty dear.

also you could try using your amp's distortion for lower gain tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i really like the boss blues driver, you can get some killer rock tones out of it

but really try just rolling back the gain and your guitar volume.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Mar 27, 2016,
Blues-rock tones are commonly gotten by having an amp with just a bit of breakup, then boosted with an overdrive pedal, most often a tubescreamer. Try dialing in the amp that way. You can still get to that gain level without the tubescreamer, though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 27, 2016,
So...pedals for blues, blues-rock, classic/early hard rock tones? The good news is there are lots of options! The bad news is...there are lots of options. :p

Overdrives & Distortions:

I've had a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2 Dist/OD for some time now, and it is very good at dialing in some nice classic distorted and overdriven sounds. As I recall, used ones can be had under $100, last I checked, and they're built like tanks. The V3 version of the pedal was recently released by TrueTone- Visual Sound's new name. The OD side is based on the venerable Tube Screamer.

The Red Witch Famulus is another OD/Dist pedal, and is even more flexible than the J&H. It is also much more expensive. Still, depending on your budget & taste, definitely worth a look.

I am planning on getting a Keeley Katana Blues pedal, just because it sounds so damn good when doing blues/rock.

The Dr. No Drive-O-Matic is another pedal in a similar vein as the Keeley.

The Wampler Ace 30 (renamed to Thirty Something) might as well have been named the Brian May box. It was designed to help recreate his overdriven tones.

T-Rex's MAB Overdrive (discontinued?) is a fairly clean OD, though not quite as clean as something like a Timmy or Soul Food. (Can't say for sure, as I've never tried those two.)

The pricey UK import ThorpyFX Gunshot Overdrive is- like the Famulus- a very flexible OD pedal.

XTS' Atomic Overdrive seems to be a nice middle ground OD- clean but not too clean. Dirty, but not too dirty.

Others:

David Gilmour likes to use a broad range of gear, but subtlely. His use of Leslie cabinets is nicely mimicked by the Boss RT-20. Here's someone's video showing how he dialed his in for "Shine on you crazy diamond":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrXsrPAFIc&sns=em

Jimmy Page is known to favor the Echoplex, a rare and expensive vintage pedal. Fortunately, Catalinbread has not one but 2 pedals based on it: the EchoRec (which I have) and the Belle Epoch. Here's a photo of one of Eric Johnson's more recent pedalboards with THREE Belle Epochs on it.
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialEricJohnson/photos/pb.313377338720239.-2207520000.1458397207./1027375620653737/?type=3&theater

Beyond that? A good fuzz, a good tremolo, and a bunch of other stuff should be on your radar, depending on exactly what you want to play.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I only use light overdrive, and believe in the KISS principle, so I'll nominate three standard oldies:

Bad Monkey - smooth OD, with good EQ capabilities

Boss SD-1 for raw asymmetric clipping sounds

Boss BD-2 for anything from clean gain to strong OD, without a mid hump.

If ya want a mid-hump, then some kind of TS or TS clone.
not much more to say if the OP doesn't kick in with more details.

between distortion pedals, overdrives, and fuzz pedals, i probably have around 20.

most all of them would be suitable for blues rock. hendrix loved his fuzz faces, SRV was a tubescreamer junkie, and then you have guys like john mayer who like klons.

zep was a tele through a supro (on recordings, not live that i know of).

if i were to strip my collection of pedals down to the 'versatile and affordable' i would go full tone fulldrive, zendrive, and my malekko unity fuzz, that would cover a lot of ground for just about everything. thats all the advice i can give until we have better details.

what speaker is in your blackstar? i am assuming that a speaker swap would suit it well, but i haven't had experience with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
zep was a tele through a supro

There is that. (Love the Supro reissues.)

Which begs the question: amp gurus- is the Blackstar the right tool for the job? Is he better served investing in a second amp than pedals?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There is that. (Love the Supro reissues.)

Which begs the question: amp gurus- is the Blackstar the right tool for the job? Is he better served investing in a second amp than pedals?

one of these days i am going to build a clone of an old supro. i have a verrrry long list of shit to get done first. including fixing my JTM45 that i built a long time ago that had some issues.

hate to be an ass, headbanger, but that amp isn't really going to do what you want. spending over $100 on a pedal (more on two, if you need more flexibility), doesn't really make sense. i would say to get a new amp, but if you want pedals at the time, the one good thing is that pedals can be used on future amps, or anything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup

hate to be an ass, headbanger, but that amp isn't really going to do what you want.

Well, to be fair, I DID bring it up. So that makes me Ass Prime.

I have around 160 $ in ebay giftcards, So I would buy pedal(s) with it.I would have used amps own distortion but it has hissing at high volumes so i prefer running it clean.And I'm in a dorm so can't buy other amps until I graduate ,which i hope is about 6 months ,so yeah the pedals will be a future investment and the Idea is to get familiar with turning knobs (not a DJ XD).I would have sold the Fullbore but its good to have it for the just the metal sounds.

I run my guitar to Digitech Drop<Nova Delay<MXR Fullbore Metal<TC Ditto into HT1R which has the stock speakers.The Boss Blue driver ,fulldrive and badmonkey seems nice via youtube.

One question:How do you get that tone which plays clean at lower volumes and distorts when increasing volume or strumming hard ?
Thanks to all especially dannyalcatraz for detailed answer
i honestly have a hard time recommending the bad monkey. i owned one for a while, the buffer was pretty bad, and it didn't sound natural to me (but what can you expect for $30 i guess), thus i sold it.

it would be very hard to go wrong with the fulldrive (i have the fulldrive 2 mosfet), the 3 is nice because you can use the boost and OD side separately, but i like the 2 quite a bit. and it is a lot cheaper used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by diabolical
How about the amp itself, it won't do light crunch as for blues? I think it should be able to.
If you need a blues pedal, look into some overdrives, maybe Joyo tubescreamer clone which won't break the bank.

I can do that ,but there is some noise when turning volume up ...Id pribably buy a used BD 2
got the boss bd 2 but has a lot of hiss if i turn the gain on clean channel...fiddled around the settings and it sounds fine
Quote by Wmheadbanger
Hey guys,

I just started using pedals.I have a PRS SE custom 24 FR which I run through on cleans.I use MXR Fullbore metal for distortion ,I can get Pantera ,Metallica,Modern Metal esque tones, but I can't dial any good rock blues tones.It sounds like hell even if the gain knob turned a little from zero
So I'm looking something to play classic rock like Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd and blues.
Since my amp don't have bass,mid and high knobs in amp will an eq pedal along with an OD help me in getting different tones ? I'd like to tinker around a little bit..thanks

EQ is not necessary and I would actually advise against it. Just get two separate drive pedals, you get two flavors and you can combine them for a third option.

Xotic BB Preamp and Ac Booster are marvelous and sound great together. The AC Booster is like a Tubescreamer without the EQ shift and tone suck. The BB Preamp has a BluesBreaker Marshally vibe which cuts through very well.
If you are going Ebay and want to keep to your budget I would suggest the Joyo Vintage Overdrive (TS clone) and the Caline Pure Sky (Timmy clone - so I'm told), I have both and really like them, they also play nice together for stacking. The Pure Sky will cover from very low gain to moderate rock and the TS will take you the rest of the way.
How bout a BK Butler Tube Driver?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20