Looking for an amp sim to run into my 2i4 and through studio monitors or headphones for home office guitar playing when I need to be playing quieter than I like my tube amp to go.

I think I have nailed down the amp sim to a Zoom G3 since I want the pedal buttons for tuning, looping and especially distortion. The Zoom G3 does only have 3 pedal options though (and the amp sim uses one) so I likely will want to use the pedals I have already to supplement. Question I have is how well do these systems work with other pedals like delay, chorus, reverb, compressors, etc and if they work well, do I put the pedals that traditionally go in the effects loop after the amp sim or do I put everything before the Zoom G3?

Not wanting to really break the bank so I'm about $200 or less for this. Thoughts?
Last edited by Jeffh40 at Mar 27, 2016,
i would use VST's if you are going into the interface. i have a very similar setup and i love it, but i don't have a lot of experience with VST's, so somebody could help you more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd do it all in the box as well, and maybe first try to do it with freeware like LePou and other free amp sims. If you don't like it, then investigate the brands, Amplitube, Revalver, Bias, Guitar Rig, etc.

If you want to use some pedals into the setup maybe look at the floor multifx used, like Boss GT-10, where you can set up a fx loop on the unit itself and then still record via USB, in that case you might not need the interface as the GT-10 has USB connectivity, or maybe get the GT-100 or one of the upper price PODs (around $500) and call it a day, just record into reaper or something like that.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 28, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would use VST's if you are going into the interface. i have a very similar setup and i love it, but i don't have a lot of experience with VST's, so somebody could help you more.

Up until I read your post, I had not heard of a VST before. Anyone know knows about them have any recommendations?

I assume it recognizes the interface input and does the amp/speaker sim inside the computer, then output to the speakers?
Not sure but Yamaha THR may be a good option for you, portable modeling amp.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by Jeffh40
Up until I read your post, I had not heard of a VST before. Anyone know knows about them have any recommendations?

I assume it recognizes the interface input and does the amp/speaker sim inside the computer, then output to the speakers?

Read through Robbgnarly's post, he mentioned a few.

If you have an amp that you like and is loud enough or enough headroom, I wouldn't be looking at a modeling amp. If it's just for quiet, VST's are what I would do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Read through Robbgnarly's post, he mentioned a few.

If you have an amp that you like and is loud enough or enough headroom, I wouldn't be looking at a modeling amp. If it's just for quiet, VST's are what I would do.

Appreciate it. I'll try a few tonight when I get home and see how it works. not really knowing how this works, I'm assuming I load these into the DAW (that I barely know how to use) and a control panel opens up that looks like an amp head?

I agree, no separate modeling amp and I'm certainly not looking to replace my XXX 212. Just want an amp sim so I can run it though the studio monitors and play alone or with songs on youtube. A great example of what I am looking for is playing along with backing tracks and having both the backing track and the guitar come out of the monitors.