Hey

First of all, i'm a ultimate-noob when it comes to sound, settings and stuff. I've been playing guitar for about 1 year and now I would like som advice about settings on my peavey 6505+ combo.

Im not getting the sound that i want, I watched alot of youtubes videos of peavey 6505+ combo, and it sounds alot better then mine. I want something near that clear brutal metal tone.

Atm moment im learning In Flames - man made god and dialogue with the stars. Im doing pretty well, it's just the solos that i can't handle and some other minor things. And im not even close the sound, and that sucks. I think my sound is fuzzy and sounds like shit.

My gear:
*Esp ltd viper 400 cz clockwork zombie with Emg-81 and Emg-85 active humbuckers.
*Peavey 6505+ 112 combo.
*Fulltone OCD effect pedal

Here are some pictures with my currently settings:

Peavey settings: http://imgur.com/RtzkSQy

Fulltone OCD pedal: http://imgur.com/oTGrrJ2

Any suggestions? I'm not good at this at all, so be very clear please!
Tell me if i missed something important to tell you.

And sorry If My english is bad, not my maiden language
/Finnen
set the EQ knobs at noon, and go from there. keep the postgain down (think volume) and the pregain at around half or less.

i have an OCD and a block letter 5150, and i do not like it with the OCD.

other things to mention is that peavey makes shit speakers, i would swap it out for something else.

also the demos you maybe hearing the mic'd tone (and in some cases processed), which will be different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thank you for your quick reply.

I did as you told. it's better now, but not as good as i want. Still sounds kinda fuzzy, not that distinctive sound.

Maybe i should try to change speaker, do you have any suggestions what speaker i should buy.
And to change speaker would rather be pretty simple to change by your self i suppose?

About the OCD, what would you prefer instead? Maxon od808 instead?
Quote by finnen
Thank you for your quick reply.

I did as you told. it's better now, but not as good as i want. Still sounds kinda fuzzy, not that distinctive sound.

Maybe i should try to change speaker, do you have any suggestions what speaker i should buy.
And to change speaker would rather be pretty simple to change by your self i suppose?

About the OCD, what would you prefer instead? Maxon od808 instead?

Glad it is sounding better for you. The EQing gets easier as you develop your ear and preferences. EQing can be a life long process, just enjoy the ride.

As far as speakers go, I would get a Celestion V30 or a cheaper clone. The speaker will be a HUGE improvement. I haven't popped open the 6505+ combo before, but it is stupidly easy.

For an OD, I personally wouldn't fork the money out for a maxon. They are pretty nice though. There are just so many OD pedals out there (i counted 15 ODs on my floor last night).

What is your budget for a speaker and od?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Just had a thought. I would look for a fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet. you can get a used one for $80 or less. It has an OD and an additional boost. All of my amps seem to love it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
First of all, tank you for all help and suggestions. Great with some experienced People to help you Out!

Celestion vintag 30 8 ohm, correct? They cost around 120 Euros here in sweden. But in my peavey i can set it to 16 ohm. So does this mean i need to find a celestion v30 16ohm? Anyway, 120 euros is affordable, so I think im just gonna order that one.
I have ben googling some, and as you said many seems to complain about the original speaker in this combo. So i think im going to follow your advice.

When it Come to od pedal, im ready to pay around 100 euros i think. That fulltone fulldrive 2 you prefer costs about 160 euros.
I Will search for a used one first of all, But If I can't find any, what do you think about getting an maxon od 808 insta? They are about 100 euros.

Anyway, i Will Change the speaker first of all, maybe that already Will satisfy me.
Quote by finnen
First of all, tank you for all help and suggestions. Great with some experienced People to help you Out!

Celestion vintag 30 8 ohm, correct? They cost around 120 Euros here in sweden. But in my peavey i can set it to 16 ohm. So does this mean i need to find a celestion v30 16ohm? Anyway, 120 euros is affordable, so I think im just gonna order that one.
I have ben googling some, and as you said many seems to complain about the original speaker in this combo. So i think im going to follow your advice.

When it Come to od pedal, im ready to pay around 100 euros i think. That fulltone fulldrive 2 you prefer costs about 160 euros.
I Will search for a used one first of all, But If I can't find any, what do you think about getting an maxon od 808 insta? They are about 100 euros.

Anyway, i Will Change the speaker first of all, maybe that already Will satisfy me.

i am rather unfamiliar about the combo (i have just had the heads) regarding speaker impedence. i would just match what you have in there. it doesn't really matter though if it is switchable.

maxons are nice, if you like it go for it, nothing wrong with that. they are a great company.

what would a cmatmods signa drive go for over there? i am going to get one of those at some point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The speaker will make a significant difference. You might also consider putting an EQ pedal in the loop. It will let you tailor your tone significantly.

There's also a thread here about the 6505+ combo that has a few VERY simple modifications that make a huge difference in the tone of the amp.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33329667&postcount=2919
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
+1 to arby, but i would go OD pedal over EQ pedal though if you don't want to buy both.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The speaker will make a huge difference. As others said, get a V 30 or an Eminence Governor (what I run -- and it's a slightly tweaked clone of the V 30 which has a little more bottom end and smoother mids). The Governor might be cheaper than a V 30, at least in the states it is.

I'm the one that made that effects loop mod thread -- definitely do that! At some point you'll want to use the effects loop, and you'll REALLY hate your tone if you don't do the mod. But it's super easy.

The other things I came to say were to get an EQ pedal for the loop, and retube the amp with JJs.

Get a matched pair of JJ 6L6s -- they are 100X better than the stock Chinese tubes. They will bring a lot more thump and low-end, yet the mids and highs are still clearer and more powerful.

JJ 5751s in V1 and the phase inverter as well (V5 -- the preamp tube closest to the power tubes). The 5751s really help tame some of the fizz of the amp and just sound way sweeter than 12AX7s. V1 is the most important position. If you can, put JJ 12AX7s in all the other positions -- but V1 and V5 are most impactful on tone.

Finally, 6505s don't have the greatest EQ section. Running an EQ in the loop helps greatly. All 5150 variants have some fizz to them -- some of it is what makes them cut through a mix so well. But with an EQ pedal you can cut the highest highs and really get a more desirable tone. I also favor a cut to the 500hz region -- as that midrange section just seems to add a more "vowelly," "cocked-wah" honk sound that doesn't really add anything musical to the tone. Instead, I boost the 1khz and 2khz regions (more upper mids) and a boost to the high-bass/low mids @ 125hz.

As far as the amp EQ goes, I really wouldn't run highs, mids, or lows lower than 5. The sweetspot for me is high -- 5, mids 6, and lows at 6.5. Also, I set my resonance about the same as lows or a hair under. The resonance knob has a huge impact on your tone.

Good luck!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I always struggled with my tone on my old 6505 combo them I ran a tube screamer and an eq pedal in the loop of a Boss NS-2 all infront of the amp, sounds beastly. I struggled to get a tone I like with no pedals and everything stock though, way to muddy.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
+1 on the speaker upgrade, Celestian or Eminence will greatly improve your sound, to the point that you won't recognize your amp.

Peavey speakers, at least their guitar speakers are crap, upgrading the speakers should be your first step, then decide if you want to get and OD or EQ pedal or both.

I have a 4X12 loaded with Eminence Patriot series 2 Swamp Thang and 2 Texas Heat mounted in a X pattern and they sound great with my 6505+ head or when I plug in my Mesa Roadster into to it.

The Mesa is a 2X12 closed back combo loaded with Celestian V30s and they sound great as well.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by KailM
The speaker will make a huge difference. As others said, get a V 30 or an Eminence Governor (what I run -- and it's a slightly tweaked clone of the V 30 which has a little more bottom end and smoother mids). The Governor might be cheaper than a V 30, at least in the states it is.

I'm the one that made that effects loop mod thread -- definitely do that! At some point you'll want to use the effects loop, and you'll REALLY hate your tone if you don't do the mod. But it's super easy.

The other things I came to say were to get an EQ pedal for the loop, and retube the amp with JJs.

Get a matched pair of JJ 6L6s -- they are 100X better than the stock Chinese tubes. They will bring a lot more thump and low-end, yet the mids and highs are still clearer and more powerful.

JJ 5751s in V1 and the phase inverter as well (V5 -- the preamp tube closest to the power tubes). The 5751s really help tame some of the fizz of the amp and just sound way sweeter than 12AX7s. V1 is the most important position. If you can, put JJ 12AX7s in all the other positions -- but V1 and V5 are most impactful on tone.

Finally, 6505s don't have the greatest EQ section. Running an EQ in the loop helps greatly. All 5150 variants have some fizz to them -- some of it is what makes them cut through a mix so well. But with an EQ pedal you can cut the highest highs and really get a more desirable tone. I also favor a cut to the 500hz region -- as that midrange section just seems to add a more "vowelly," "cocked-wah" honk sound that doesn't really add anything musical to the tone. Instead, I boost the 1khz and 2khz regions (more upper mids) and a boost to the high-bass/low mids @ 125hz.

As far as the amp EQ goes, I really wouldn't run highs, mids, or lows lower than 5. The sweetspot for me is high -- 5, mids 6, and lows at 6.5. Also, I set my resonance about the same as lows or a hair under. The resonance knob has a huge impact on your tone.

Good luck!

Thank you for your very helpful information.

I've been thinking alot about this now.
I have decided to buy:
*celestion v30 16 ohm
*OD pedal, either one maxon 808 or fulltone fulldrive 2
*EQ pedal, thinking of Boss GE-7.
*All the tubes you are mentioning, But i can't find JJ 6L6s in the most popular shops here in sweden. They have JJ 6L6GC. Same with the JJ 5751s, can't find any, are they upgraded with a new name or something?

Have a really good feeling about this now .

About your effect loop mod, i really want to do that Aswell.
But i don't really get it. I Will sit down and go through it while im changing the other things.

Thank you for all the help guys!
^^JJ 6L6GCs are what I meant. I just called them "6L6s" because that's what they are. You could run another company's 6L6s and they would also be fine, but the JJs sound amazing and are generally regarded as a top choice in Peaveys.

As for the JJ 5751, those are a relatively new model for JJ, so they may not be in stock in most locations. You may have to order them online. Also, if you can find a NOS (new old stock) 5751 bearing the JAN label from GE or Sylvania, those 5751s are even better. But you will pay 4X as much (should last longer though). I've been meaning to buy one for a long time but every time I come up with the money there's something else I need more -- and the JJ 5751s are only about $13 in the states, and sound fantastic, so....

Your speaker choice will be excellent, but here's a word of advice: it will not sound like it should until you've played it LOUD for 30 hours or so. You may not like it at first. But after that break-in period it will start to sound less harsh, fuller, and meatier.

That Boss EQ will be awesome. I've only run MXR 10-bands through mine, but the Boss should be solid enough. First thing I'd do is cut the highest highs by 3 db or so. That will tame the fizz right away. I find that a slight scoop to the middle mids (400-500hz) improves the sound of this amp greatly as well. It has a truckload of mids already, and that region of mids is what I call the "boxy" midrange which doesn't add anything pleasing to the sound. Instead, give the upper and lower mids a little boost.

As for OD pedals, I wouldn't spend the money on an OD 808. If you were going to rely on that pedal for your overdrive tone, then maybe it would be worth it -- but on a high gain amp you're really just using the OD pedal to tighten things up and boost it. I would recommend a pedal that has adjustable bass as well as highs, such as a Way Huge Green Rhino, Digitech Badmonkey, or MXR M77 (what I have -- love it). Having control over the bass really acts as an EQ for your guitar and/or pickups, and really increases the versatility of your rig.

Finally, your EQ pedal will help you compensate for the tone problems with using the effects loop. But you'll have to set it pretty aggressively. Ultimately, the mod is very easy and cheap though; well worth your time.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Bah, they have every tube except JJ 5751, they don't seem to be available here yet, going to take a while if i order from usa.

Anyway, they had sovteks 5751, they told me it should be the same. Can I go for them instead JJ 5751?
^^Sovteks are worth a try. I doubt it would sound the same as a JJ, but these are not huge differences anyway. The important thing about the 5751 design is that its gain is slightly less than a 12AX7, but not a ton less. But there's also a different character to the distortion as well. A 5751 will make the gain clearer, but not necessarily less brutal. To my ears, I can hear a little more string/note separation on big distorted chords, and a little less fuzz/fizz in favor of more searing highs and upper mids.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood