I'm kind of in two minds between buying a brand new American Standard Strat(probably sunburst) or a 77' Strat which i think looks cool.They're both around the same price and i can try both.I know the American Standard will be a better guitar as far as features etc but then i like the look of the 77' and don't know if i'd regret not buying it.If you tried both and you liked both.Which one would YOU buy?

Cheers
I'd buy the one I liked better blindfolded.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd buy the one I liked better blindfolded.

That's not an option.They're both in different shops so i know which one i'm gonna be looking at when i walk in.
Personally, I'd go for the '77. Ultimately, there probably won't be a huge amount between them, so the biggest thing will probably be how you like your fretboard radii I think the '70s styling is pretty nice too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
If they both played great and the 77 didn't have any major damage or issues I'd go for the vintage, the new ones are always going to be available and you could grab one of them later down the line.

That's my two cents, I am baised because I really like vintage stuff that has been treated well throughout it's life. I am also a fan of the large headstocks onthat era of Fender Strats and the bullet.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 28, 2016,
You guys are reflecting my thoughts.I think the 77 would always feel slightly more special.I don't like the black guard and pickup covers/knobs so i would change those maybe for some white aged ones.
Quote by EyeballPaul
You guys are reflecting my thoughts.I think the 77 would always feel slightly more special.I don't like the black guard and pickup covers/knobs so i would change those maybe for some white aged ones.

For sure; if you want mojo and you're not trying to shred it's no contest as far as I'm concerned. And obviously thanks to Leo's design choices pretty much anything you don't like can be replaced easily.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
providing i liked them about the same, i'd buy the one that weighs less.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

That would defo be the American std then.I've heard the ash bodied 70's Strats weigh a fair bit.
Quote by EyeballPaul

What color is the 77? If it's a burst then tortoise shell pick plate would keep that vintage vibe!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
What color is the 77? If it's a burst then tortoise shell pick plate would keep that vintage vibe!

Yep it's a burst.That is a good idea.Did the older Strats come with tortoise shell?I was'nt sure if that was a fairly modern thing.
What I was getting at with my flip remark was that my first consideration would be figuring out which felt best in my hand; which felt best against my torso. Those things are hard to change.

Assuming they sound similar, that would be the end of it.

If not, then I'd have to figure out if a pickup swap would make the one that felt best sound the way I wanted...and how much that change would cost me.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by gregs1020

that's what I would do
Low weight would also be a factor for me if there was a big difference, then there's resale value of buying used compared with new. All else being equal, I greatly prefer used to new, and fix any problems myself. Apart from resale value, I'm a dingophobe. - I don't like dinging new guitars, whereas I ton't worry if they already have a bit of wear and tear.
Quote by Ippon
The new Standard will have newer frets that will not need a re-fret in the immediate future. Also, no dings/dents caused by some dingaling.

That's a good point about the frets.That will be one of the first things to check.I don't mind a few dings although i've not picked it up yet from the top it looks in good condition.
Quote by Tony Done
Low weight would also be a factor for me if there was a big difference, then there's resale value of buying used compared with new. All else being equal, I greatly prefer used to new, and fix any problems myself. Apart from resale value, I'm a dingophobe. - I don't like dinging new guitars, whereas I ton't worry if they already have a bit of wear and tear.

Yeah if it's ridiculously heavy then that could put me off.I don't mind abit of weight aslong as its well balanced.I don't plan on selling.
Quote by EyeballPaul
Yep it's a burst.That is a good idea.Did the older Strats come with tortoise shell?I was'nt sure if that was a fairly modern thing.

Tortoise shell guards have been around for a long time a lot of old Fenders had them.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Well tried both today.'77 needs a refret but it's otherwise in really good shape and not too heavy.Neck straight serial checks out(fullerton CBS era).Think i will pull the trigger on it as it's a cool guitar.Actually tried a '78 too which was a faded yellowy white but it was much heavier and quite noisey.The '78 had a 5 way switch.Anyone know if that was introduced in '78 or if somebody has put that in after?
Oh yeah.The '77 is a hard tail and still has the bridge cover in the case.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Mar 29, 2016,
a quality refret will probably add $300-400 to the cost, but if it can be level'd then it's good to go at around $110-140, typically.

congrats! sounds like a cool strat.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The later CSB era Strats (70's in general) were not overly well appreciated during that time I can tell you being a young player in those days. Once Schultz and the employees took over Fender had a serious revival in the 80's, early 90's. I will say you are playing much more for a 77 than it ever cost (would've been about 600 new back then or less) simply because its 30+ years old.
Things to consider (fret wear, finish wear, shape of the HW, pickup strength (output), older style tremolo (6 screw vs newer & better (IMO) 2 point bridge etc.
Moving on.....
I am digging the fact that it's a hard tail and like Greg said have a tech look at it maybe a good leveling, crown and polish will do the trick without having to refret.

Let us know if you pull the trigger and post some pics on an NGD!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

hardtail is a plus in my book.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Buy the one that you probably won'tbe able to buy next year. One decision could lead to possible regret and one doesn't have a chance of that. Easy peasy!
Quote by TomInReno
Buy the one that you probably won'tbe able to buy next year. One decision could lead to possible regret and one doesn't have a chance of that. Easy peasy!

Valid point.

Well thanks for all the advice.I was unsure as i've read that 70's Strats had a bad rep.Just waiting for a cheque to clear then i'm gonna grab it.

Cheers
Awesome, you enjoy that thing! There might be a couple practical advantages to the modern Strat, but a '70s hardtail is just a real cool guitar to own and play
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
70-s all the way =)
Gibson LP Custom
ESP KH-2
USA Dean Rust From Hell 35/100
Washburn N4 Corina 1/75
Washburn EA20S NB
Squier Hello Kitty
Dean Dime from Hell Baby
Randall Warhead (sale!)
Krank Rev Jr Pro
Yamaha THR10X
not a fan of hardtails and just so you know they don't hold value as well as the ones with a trem. personally if you liked the 77 great but i'd be more inclined to get one of the 70s reissue strats. it will be cheaper and the quality is much more consistent than actual late 70s fenders were. keep in mind that it has small frets and of course teh 7.25" radius. the whole it's old thing means little, far more important is whether it's a good guitar or not.
Quote by monwobobbo
not a fan of hardtails and just so you know they don't hold value as well as the ones with a trem. personally if you liked the 77 great but i'd be more inclined to get one of the 70s reissue strats. it will be cheaper and the quality is much more consistent than actual late 70s fenders were. keep in mind that it has small frets and of course teh 7.25" radius. the whole it's old thing means little, far more important is whether it's a good guitar or not.

Yeah.I got it.I don't plan on selling.I actually love it.The radius is actually quite comfortable and no choking out up the high end despite low action.
The real question is when we get to see it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The real question is when we get to see it

Pics already up
I made an NGD.