Hi all, here is my latest proggy metal-y offering. It is written in a pretty linear style which is just the way it came out but hopefully has enough twists and turns to keep it interesting. I'm still fairly new to the home production game but spent quite a bit of time on this mix and am fairly pleased with how it turned out (although Soundcloud appears to have crushed some of the dynamics). Grateful for any feedback and, as always, C4C...

https://soundcloud.com/increments-1/to-a-fault
Listening to it now, it's awesome! Kind of reminds me of Megadeth a bit. Please check your inbox!
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
dude this is sick, only thing that really stands out that needs work to me is the hi-hat, it sounds very whispy, other than that it's super good! Some of the riffs are awesome, and it kept my interest all the way through!! Great job man!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33899313#post33899313
Last edited by limo09 at Mar 28, 2016,
Hey there!

When I saw the cover art, I thought about "M-16" by Sodom. I felt it very fitting that the beginning of the song was thrashy as hell. I like the transition at 1:07. It kind of reminds me of Metallica's Orion. I dug the harmonies at 1:25. I am totally digging the groove at 2:05! Even though I could see the dip in the waveform at 2:25 beforehand, I was not expecting that clean transition. It'd be awesome to hear some vocals on this. Although the outro solo was intriguing, it didn't really feel cohesive with the rest of the track. This is an awesome track with some impressive grooves and leads here.

Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Could you check out my track Tree in the coppice at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1699726 ?
Thanks for the feedback guys- it is much appreciated. I have critted back on your tracks.

@limo09- I haven't yet gone down the path of producing individual drums so am just using the default kits but it is something I will explore soon so thanks for the tip!

@silvadolla- thanks as always for the in depth feedback. I thought something would make that point about the final solo haha. To explain, it is really intended as a segue into the next song which is based largely on those notes. Once I have recorded the whole album I might actually just put it as a standalone track/interlude but wanted to record it with this one to at least get the levels/production consistent.
Nice man! It sounds old school, but the quality is good, the playing is tight, and the production sounds pretty pro. In my opinion it would be awesome if the mix sounded bigger or louder, but it is very good as it is.

Musically the riffs are nice, I think the track could use vocals also.

Good job!

If you want to C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1699816
Though some lyrics might sound good I think this is an excellent instrumental.

I really liked the clean transition around 2:20 and the outro solo seemed kinda Santana-ey imo.

Thanks for the crit on my track btw
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Actually heard this once before on soundcloud. Listening again now. Feeling the leads, they keep it interesting for sure. Mix seems solid, but I can't give honest feedback at the moment (headphones, deaf in left ear).

Like the change around 2:03, nice and heavy. The acoustic bit right after with the distorted bass is cool.

I like how it continues to progress throughout, keeps my interest. Sweet track, keep it up!
Thanks for the crit man, Production is very good, I normally prefer something a bit rawer but it sounds cool nonetheless. Your soloing is clean, tight and well played no complaints there, the tones are great and don't blend together, harmonies are nice but you could use more than thirds and fifths . I have to give you credit that when one section went on for too long it instantly changed so that's great, love the bit around 2:40. Ending is unique.
Overall great piece man, I can't fault anything really, most of my comments are just nitpicking haha. Keep going man!
Hey there man, listened to the track couple of times and here're my thoughts:

(Please keep in mind while reading what I have to say that I also am a musician and an engineer)

- First impression is that the genre is great. I got that Rust in Peace vibe which boiled my blood after years.

- The three lackers of the mix is the strength/body of bass (in general), the rhythm guitars being pushed way back occasionally and sounding a bit rusty (I'm thinking an EQ touch at higher mids is required, a small but still audible ear-tiring detail), and the lack of kick-ass overhead/cymbal sound in the drums. Cymbals are a bit squishy and they sound MIDI like.

- The intro guitars have mistakes, the rhythms do not connect with the boosting parts.

- The soloes sound amateurish and improvised. Especially at 1:48, because I can hear the idea is great but it's not executed professionally. Secondly (but only a subjective comment), the lead guitar tone is so much different than the rest of the mix that it does not blend.

- Why not add a secondary guitar to the outro? It sounds a bit raw. Delay/reverb seems to work but it could be better and more heartfelt.

Rest sounds great. The arrangement is intriguing and fresh. I love how the rhythms and the bass blend in at some points and boost the energy, making it a rocking headbanging song. I almost expected it to do another turn. And you're right about Soundcloud killing the harmonics a bit. It's just the way the site works, unfortunately.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678157
very old school man, but good. I really like the feel of the song. Have you listened to Vektor? I feel like you'd enjoy them I feel the bass doesn't really do it for me in the fact that i feel like it's lacking low end, then again it could be the difference in the old school sound. I really liked the harmonies as well.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Sammetry- I really appreciate the detailed feedback and your honesty. I will give your track a listen when I'm back from work later tonight. Just a few points-

Yes, agree the bass is perhaps a little low. My speakers tend to overdo the bass so I then overcompensate for that when on other speakers/headphones it means the bass is drowned a little.

On the intro, some of the drums are deliberately in a different time to the guitars. I added an early kick and did one of the boosting parts in triplets as thought it made it sound more interesting but may rethink that if it sounds like it's a mistake!

I don't tend to double track solos as my view is that a solo is a one off moment and you can lose the nuances and feel if you track it more than once. In metal, solos tend to be more clinical but I prefer that "one off" vibe. Having said that, agree the part you identified could be a bit tighter and appreciate the honesty.

Thanks again.
Cool track,mate! Definitely getting some early Megadeth vibes here. The mix is quite good,lacking a bit of low end,though. Work on your lead playing (some parts sound a bit amateurish) and especially on your vibrato. My favorite sections are at 1:30 and at 3:00.

Keep on playing and making music!

Here's my latest:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33914559#post33914559
This is great I think I may have found some mistakes in the guitars... But overall the vibes are awesome... I love you rhythm tone... Was that a real amp or an amp sim. ... Anyways it sounds great.... My only thing is some of the solos seem copy and pasted on top. . It doesn't take away from the ooomph of the track, but I think the solos could be more polished. The part a 3sec is my favorite, where it starts getting heavy again.
Loving this because it takes me back to what I used to listen to when I first noticed my guitar playing evolving - old school thrash! You said proggy, which I believe the only proggy element is would be the frequent time changes. Sick stuff man.
I actually enjoyed how linear it was. The whole song had a very captivating flow and kept me hooked, you know? And the transitions were smooth enough to enjoy and not feel at all lost.
If I had to change anything, it would be the lead tone and actually some of the solos. At times, they fit well with the backing riff and at other seemed to be in a different key. Nonetheless, nice track! I'm also an amateur at this stuff xD I'd appreciate your feedback:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1698513
Last edited by LourDeo_15 at Apr 9, 2016,
Thanks guys.

@nyandres- inserted to hear where you think the mistakes are? All guitars are real amps. The rhythms are actually quad tracked- 2 each side as I wanted to have a classic 2 guitar attack. Not sure what you mean solos copied and pasted on top? They were tracked separately for sure- one was actually tracked by someone in another country! Guess I need to work on mixing them better.
Quote by Richo1985
Thanks guys.

@nyandres- inserted to hear where you think the mistakes are? All guitars are real amps. The rhythms are actually quad tracked- 2 each side as I wanted to have a classic 2 guitar attack. Not sure what you mean solos copied and pasted on top? They were tracked separately for sure- one was actually tracked by someone in another country! Guess I need to work on mixing them better.

Hey man, just reread what I wrote and it sounded stronger (almost mean) than what I meant. sorry... It was just nitpicking really... I thought it was real good... The solos I just felt were sticking out a bit in terms of feel, those are the pieces I mean by mistakes. Maybe its just the mixing or something that made certain notes feel a bit "just improvised". This is me being super blunt though, because I loved your track
Quote by nyandres
Hey man, just reread what I wrote and it sounded stronger (almost mean) than what I meant. sorry... It was just nitpicking really... I thought it was real good... The solos I just felt were sticking out a bit in terms of feel, those are the pieces I mean by mistakes. Maybe its just the mixing or something that made certain notes feel a bit "just improvised". This is me being super blunt though, because I loved your track

Hey man- no problem at all. I always welcome constructive cristicism as it helps me improve. Thanks very much for checking back and clarifying and I agree the solos stick out a bit at times. I will revisit that and also boost the low end a bit as others have suggested. Really appreciate your feedback