its a '95, in great shape, i like the pickups that are in it. i just want to give her some lovin' as she has treated me well for a long time. bone stock other than graphtech saddles and i love them. also the trem is decked. tuners are fine (and i don't like locking tuners anyway).

trem block? it is the older smaller one. that may be a good move.

roller nut?

roller trees?

pots and some nice tone caps? although the pots are fine, could i just swap out the caps?

she plays great, and feels great, and is a keeper.

___

i know that this thread is rather ambiguous. what would you do?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
find a used tweed case on craigslist.

the guitar sounds fine.

edit: roller nut on a decked trem? why? i can't see a need for a roller tree either. pots/caps? do you really think it needs them?

if you have a nice case already, consider a good strap.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 28, 2016,
I think you have the main stuff covered. Maybe something aesthetically, like a new pickguard, knobs and switch-tip? If it sounds and plays like you want, I'd go for an improvement on looks to be honest.
Quote by gregs1020
find a used tweed case on craigslist.

the guitar sounds fine.

edit: roller nut on a decked trem? why? i can't see a need for a roller tree either. pots/caps? do you really think it needs them?

if you have a nice case already, consider a good strap.

haha, i am overran with cases. i have three closets full i could always use another strap.

it doesn't really need anything, i just want to throw a few bucks at her... lol.

i think that the trem block would be the most important. everybody has different thoughts on different metals.

i was thinking that if i redo the tone caps, i will wire up the bridge pickup to one of the tone knobs.

greg, i consider you one of the more knowledgeable people on strats, ideas?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
. Roller string trees and a new nut. Failing that, forget about the string trees and buy staggered tuners.

. Straplocks.

. Maybe a new trem block. I was skeptical that having a brass big block in the Floyd of my Jackson would make any appreciable difference. But colour me surprised when it did.

. If you're into messing around with cap values, then perhaps get a varitone control? That would be cool on a Strat. You wouldn't have to use the typical chicken head knob either, you could just use a standard strat knob that fits onto the shaft and you'll keep the guitar looking stock that way. It would mean that you could use one tone control for adjusting the capacitor value and the other tone control for adjusting the level of cut.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 28, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
. Roller string trees and a new nut. Failing that, forget about the string trees and buy staggered tuners.

. Straplocks.

. Maybe a new trem block. I was skeptical that having a brass big block in the Floyd of my Jackson would make any appreciable difference. But colour me surprised when it did.

. If you're into messing around with cap values, then perhaps get a varitone control? That would be cool on a Strat. You wouldn't have to use the typical chicken head knob either, you could just use a standard strat knob that fits onto the shaft and you'll keep the guitar looking stock that way. It would mean that you could use one tone control for adjusting the capacitor value and the other tone control for adjusting the level of cut.

i have strap locks.

i am set on the trees i think. they are cheap in comparison to other things.

what would you recommend for a nut?

i think the block is top priority.

the varitone is interesting, but i am not sure i need all that functionality.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
New trem block for sure.

I went from whatever piece of shit bridge with shitty tiny and light block that is in a stock Squier to the Wilkinson WVPC hipshot style with a big steel block on my Strat the difference was huge, so I can only imagine how good it will be with a brass block.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Depending on the thickness of the block you're going to buy compared to the stock one, I wouldn't expect a dramatic change. But the change is certainly there if you get something like brass.

LSR rollers are nice, but I think you do need to modify the nut shelf to get one to fit. They're expensive too.

Failing that, just get a TUSQ nut. In my opinion they're the best standard nuts you can buy. They're very hard and they're also teflon impregnated, so they're very slippery. They even yellow like bone when exposed to UV light. You can get them in black, white, ivory etc.

Aye, they aren't for everyone. But if you want to do something different from the norm, they're a nice option if you like messing with tone control.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 28, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have strap locks.

i am set on the trees i think. they are cheap in comparison to other things.

+1 for the brass big block
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I generally have an idea about what I want to do to a guitar if I want to mod it.

If I cant think of it then I sit on my money and wait until I can actually do something I WANT with it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Ippon
Postpone gratification, save it for a nice German amp.

but muh big block
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by trashedlostfdup

she plays great, and feels great, and is a keeper.

Buy beer, your guitar needs nothing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Trem block and splurge for the brass claw and screws with noiseless springs.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Made in Mexico, huh? Make it LOOK like it was made in Mexico, esé!

http://www.qparts.com/index.php/
http://www.greasygroove.com/index
http://www.wdmusic.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 28, 2016,
an EMG Afterburner maybe to have an onboard boost? US $47 on Amazon, easy installation, works with all pickups
Last edited by FK_Ultra at Mar 29, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
greg, i consider you one of the more knowledgeable people on strats, ideas?

the only other thing i could think of, was installing a TBX tone control circuit.

not sure if you can swing it for under $50, but it's a worthy upgrade to most stocks strats, IMO.

Quote by gregs1020
the only other thing i could think of, was installing a TBX tone control circuit.

not sure if you can swing it for under $50, but it's a worthy upgrade to most stocks strats, IMO.

They're <$20 shipped.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/potentiometers-knobs-for-fretted-instruments/fender-tbx-tone-control

Adding a greasebucket cap at the very least helps many Strats.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by gregs1020
yes! get two and put one on another guitar.

They will be on my next order.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i have a 95 as my main strat. i'd say that i'd consider replacing the bridge saddles and the trem block first for that budget. i have graphtec saddles which i really like and a steel trem block. my strat also has staggered locking tuners and an LSR roller nut. the roller nut is nice but over your budget and then it needs to be installed properly. if you don't plan on using the trem just make sure the nut is cut right and the guitar has a good setup, should stay in tune.
Quote by monwobobbo
i have a 95 as my main strat. i'd say that i'd consider replacing the bridge saddles and the trem block first for that budget. i have graphtec saddles which i really like and a steel trem block. my strat also has staggered locking tuners and an LSR roller nut. the roller nut is nice but over your budget and then it needs to be installed properly. if you don't plan on using the trem just make sure the nut is cut right and the guitar has a good setup, should stay in tune.

I have graphtech saddles already and love them.

What would you recommend for a trem block? What do you think about material-wise?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
What do you think about material-wise?

wood.

if someone says the species of wood matters for tone in a trem block, i'm gonna lose my shit.

Quote by gregs1020
wood.

if someone says the species of wood matters for tone in a trem block, i'm gonna lose my shit.

Well...you probably wouldn't want to use balsa or cork.

Commence shit-loss, gregs1020.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have graphtech saddles already and love them.

What would you recommend for a trem block? What do you think about material-wise?

steel seems to work just fine. can't say i've tried brass or some of the other more esoteric types though. personally i can't see spending real money on this as some blocks can get rather pricey. as long as it's reasonably quality steel then you should be good. a block from say guitar fetish should be fine. wait i did have a brass block in a strat copy many years back and it didn't seem any better than anything else.
I like wenge.

Shit loss incoming. Or would it be outgoing .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by monwobobbo
steel seems to work just fine. can't say i've tried brass or some of the other more esoteric types though. personally i can't see spending real money on this as some blocks can get rather pricey. as long as it's reasonably quality steel then you should be good. a block from say guitar fetish should be fine. wait i did have a brass block in a strat copy many years back and it didn't seem any better than anything else.

where did you get yours from?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
where did you get yours from?

well my strat was bought used with all those upgrades so i'm not sure. it appears the same as pix from Guitar Fetish site so i'm guessing that where it came from.
I would tape a 50 dollar bill to the headstock somehow..... lmao. MIM strats are great just as they are. I would not change a thing.