I'm in the market for new pickups. I want to go with a PAF style Seymour Duncan pickup. I looked through their website and have pretty much narrowed it down to a '59 and/or a Whole Lotta Humbucker. I decided against the Pearly Gates and Seth Lovers due to the PG's being described as bright/texas sizzle (my amp can already be bright [Laney GH100L], not sure I want more highs), and the Lover's because they're unpotted.

My main question is; which positions for the pickup should I get? '59 in the neck and WLH in the bridge, or vice versa? That's the combination I was thinking of, but I've heard '59's in the neck can be bassy in Les Pauls. My guitar, while not a true Les Paul, is a double cutaway Les Paul (Mahogany body and neck, maple top, rosewood fret board). I'm not sure if that same problem would apply with my guitar. If it did, I'll probably opt to get '59 for the bridge and WLH for the neck.

Either way, the pickup combination needs to be versatile since it will be used in the studio a lot, but also needs to be able to handle high amounts of fuzz, volume, and overdrive since a good chunk of the time I play stoner, doom and sludge.

So... any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: They will also be (or have to be able to) coil tap.
Last edited by SMB13 at Mar 28, 2016,
Quote by SMB13

So... any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Get somewhere where you can actually HEAR these pickups. You're in Ohio. Shouldn't be that tough. Everything in your post says, "I've read that.." "I hear that..." "Some say that..." Hear them for yourself.
I wouldn't be worried about the Seths unless you play with extremely high gain at loud volumes and stand in front of the amp. The Seths are 2 conductor, so no splitting. The 59 can be ordered 4 conductor, and the WLH is 4 conductor. Based on the sounds you like, I'd go WLH.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I really like the SD '59, and most of the time I see it in the bridge. My Godin Belmont- a double cut with a mahogany body- is set up that way. Sounds great.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by SMB13
I'm in the market for new pickups. I want to go with a PAF style Seymour Duncan pickup. I looked through their website and have pretty much narrowed it down to a '59 and/or a Whole Lotta Humbucker. I decided against the Pearly Gates and Seth Lovers due to the PG's being described as bright/texas sizzle (my amp can already be bright [Laney GH100L], not sure I want more highs), and the Lover's because they're unpotted.

Go listen to some pickups.
It's just nuts to buy pickups off YouTube vids and Internet hearsay.

There's nothing wrong with unpotted pickups unless and until they go microphonic. Gibson sells their guitars with potted pickups, but offers the same pickups unpotted in the aftermarket.

Coil splits are easily done if the pickups are four-wire.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 24, 2016,