or just a head with 3/4 stack? ...setup anyway you want.

*I'm experimenting with a head & 4x12 running with a combo 2x12...
Depends. What do I need the additional amp for? Is it a clean amp? Am I getting a broader swath of tonal texture by running two amps in stereo? Or, am I going between the two amps for different tones? Is one just for effects? What would I need an additional cab for? Taking up space? Blending different speakers?

Honestly, I've run two half stacks, a half-stack and a combo, and while it is interesting, it is a lot to drag around. If I were gigging today, it would either be using a combo or a half-stack, not both.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Way too much gear unless you have several personal roadies doing the lifting. I did the 1/2 stack for many years but now a 1x12 and a mic to the console suits me just fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by ThunderPunk
Depends. What do I need the additional amp for?

If I were gigging today, it would either be using a combo or a half-stack, not both.

If I'm using a tube amp these days, it's probably going to be a combo or a much smaller head/cab combination. The 4x12s stay at home, except for stage decoration.

If I'm doing something that involves two separate amp sounds combined, I'll actually do it in a modeler (many will run two separate rigs that can be output as stereo, and panned hard right/hard left if you want separation between the two).

I *will* note that at one point I used to run a 100W combo as a head into a pair of 4x12s (disconnected the combo's internal speaker), but it never made a whole lot of sense; I was just trying to show off.
I currently own a Twin Reverb, and the other amps I can see myself buying are a JC-120 and an AC30, so I guess I might have a bit of a preference... Realistically, though, any of those are on the absolute upper limit of what I'd be willing to lug around.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by dspellman
If I'm using a tube amp these days, it's probably going to be a combo or a much smaller head/cab combination. The 4x12s stay at home, except for stage decoration.

If I'm doing something that involves two separate amp sounds combined, I'll actually do it in a modeler (many will run two separate rigs that can be output as stereo, and panned hard right/hard left if you want separation between the two).

I *will* note that at one point I used to run a 100W combo as a head into a pair of 4x12s (disconnected the combo's internal speaker), but it never made a whole lot of sense; I was just trying to show off.

Oh yeah, nothing like hogging up the whole stage with gear.

Venue is also a major factor. Playing a small bar, just seems silly to run a full stack, 3/4 stack, or even a half-stack. Larger venues, you can get away with a small amp if they will properly mic your cab. Playing some dudes garage, back yard, you use what works best given the location.

I always used a half-stack because the local venues we played years ago did not mic the cabs. They would roughly mic the drums and vocals and that was it. I occasionally used a second half-stack because I was in a punk 3 piece and wanted a fuller sound. We played shows with 4-6 other bands, you got set up, sound checked, played, tore down, next band up. Venue wasn't interested in funking around with mic placement on the guitar amps. We used to play one venue where the people had to stand about half-way back towards the middle of the floor area because that was the only way you could hear the vocals due to poor speaker placement for the PA system.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
It depends on the combo being used. When I was using my JCM900 I ran it with a 4x12 for 6 speakers. That amp is open backed.
Now I am running an RM100 which is a much bigger closed back affair and I simply don't need the 4x12 any more, i just stick it on an angled stand and it sounds fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ThunderPunk
Depends. What do I need the additional amp for? Is it a clean amp? Am I getting a broader swath of tonal texture by running two amps in stereo? Or, am I going between the two amps for different tones? Is one just for effects? What would I need an additional cab for? Taking up space? Blending different speakers?

Honestly, I've run two half stacks, a half-stack and a combo, and while it is interesting, it is a lot to drag around. If I were gigging today, it would either be using a combo or a half-stack, not both.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing... but I need a 4x12 enclosure and open back 2x12 to get the sound I want (also the mixture of speakers for the tonal aspects).

My setup is going to be heavy regards what I do

I'd prefer to get a 2x12 built to match my 4x12 and just use the one head but there are benefits to using two amps (amphead/4x12 & a 2x12 combo) as well as disadvantages... need to keep on experimenting I guess
At the end of the day, you're the one who has to transport it and it is your money. If you're going to drag around an additional 2x12, you may as well go all out and run a 2x12 combo along with your half-stack. That way you also have an additional amplifier. Not a bad idea to have an extra amp on stage in case one goes down.
I prefer a 2X12 closed back combo, I have a Mesa 2x12 Dual Rec Roadster that is closed back, it is plenty loud enough for most purposes, I do plan to get a matching 2X12 closed back cabinet so I can make it into a half stack if needed.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 29, 2016,
i haven't actually gigged in over a year, i have still popped into some open mics though.*

bottom line is bring what you need to do the job. period.

i have brought half stacks to a lot of gigs back when i had a metal band. why did i need that much? because they didn't mic amps. i would usually bring a head and 2x12" if i knew that the venue had decent support. hell some times i would still bring the half stack and say fuck it because that is what i wanted.

*the reason i mention open mics, is that you either play through their shit, or something small and fast to set up. i would bring a 1x12" combo, or a dual terror and a 1x12"
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/