Page 1 of 4
How important is a partner's religion to you?

I was thinking about this cos I was talking to a girl a couple of months back and then it turned out she wasn't just religious but a bit of a hard core Catholic - she'd post a Bible quote on Instagram and stuff.

As an atheist (not a militant neckbeard one)/agnostic person this was very ehhhh. Like just way too much. I also probably couldn't even date someone who is into crystals and auras and stuff like that.

Meanwhile there's a friend I meet sometimes for coffees and she's also a Christian - but far less zealous - you'd never know unless you asked, she holds Christian beliefs but doesn't go to Church or post Jesus pics on social media. She's someone I wouldn't mind dating despite the fact we have a contradiction in beliefs.

So…could/have you dated someone with significantly different religious/spiritual beliefs? Is there a line you draw in this case? How similar do you need to be to your partner in religious beliefs to date them? Have you had any relationships break down due to religion?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I dated a muslim who told me on the first night she couldn't do anything due to her beliefs. Half an hour later she was performing fellatio.
doesn't bother me, unless they're the bigoted type. Although they would probably not date me as I'm a sinner and 100% going to hell
id like to say it was a non issue but im sure if i was with someone that was overly religious it would annoy me p quickly

ive never dated (or really have been interested) a religious person so theres that. everyone i know is either been athiest or just keep it to themselves so i have honestly no idea if theyre religious
I probably wouldn't mind, just as long as she respected the belief.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
If they keep it to themselves and don't push to involve me in it AT ALL I'm basically cool with it. I have no objections to non-theistic religions, which are usually more philosophical than moral stories.

If they were overt or particularly dedicated, I'd likely feel - not to sound pretentious - like I was lacking intellectual company. In the past I've found myself asking "how do you buy this bullshit?". Not mocking - just frustration and a feeling of "we could be talking about something else right now"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Mar 29, 2016,
im christian. as long as they are christian or western atheist it is fine. since the western atheist typically inherits 100% of their moral beliefs from christianity, there is no problem. unless they are the vocal kind of atheist, but since i dont date 15 year olds i dont see that being a problem
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
It wouldn't matter to me but the relationship probably wouldn't last long due to personality clashes.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by korinaflyingv
Big turn off. If someone doesn't have the courage to question the way they were brought up to think, we won't get on that well. Especially the ones who claim to be into science. I like Christian morality though.

I was religious as a teenager. Had nothing to do with my parents.

Quote by korinaflyingv
I like Christian morality though.

>_>
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by korinaflyingv
Big turn off. If someone doesn't have the courage to question the way they were brought up to think, we won't get on that well. Especially the ones who claim to be into science. I like Christian morality though.

Before you put your fedora on to go outside, just know it is possible to have religious view and beliefs yet be a scientific person.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I hate to say it, but if I meet someone who's that religious I immediately judge their intelligence and as such I probably wouldn't want to enter into a relationship with them. Even if their beliefs didn't massively clash with my lack of - sex before marriage etc.

I know this sounds incredibly...snobby? I guess, but so be it, it's my opinion and I couldn't live with it. A vague/casual following of a religion is fine, I'm talking hardcore enough for them to be vocal about it on social media...nah.
Last edited by matt bickerton at Mar 29, 2016,
I don't think that has anything to do with courage more than it does to do with being content. Why consider the possibilities when you already know none can be proven?
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Wouldn't bother me tbh. As long as they weren't too in your face about it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Before you put your fedora on to go outside, just know it is possible to have religious view and beliefs yet be a scientific person.

Lol. I'm not that guy. Yeah I suppose it is. But not in the way that I get on with. If a scientist is coming from anywhere but a place of total non-belief they're going to rub me up the wrong way.
Quote by RAB11
I was religious as a teenager. Had nothing to do with my parents.

I don't go about trying to hit on teenagers so that's not a problem.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Mar 29, 2016,
I'm agnostic in that, while I don't believe in any kind of God as there's no proof or evidence pointing towards one at all, I also acknowledge that there's currently no way to disprove existence of one (or multiple) - so I'm somewhat open, but I'm firmly in the camp that logic suggests it's very unlikely.

I guess my problem with it is that, with that in mind, I don't (personally) understand why someone would choose to believe in that as the most likely scenario above anything else.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Lol. I'm not that guy. Yeah I suppose it is. But not in the way that I get on with. If a scientist is coming from anywhere but a place of total non-belief they're going to rub me up the wrong way.

Point being people are capable of choosing religion on their own without being forced into it by their parents.

Quote by korinaflyingv

It's possible for scientists to separate their beliefs from the facts they are working on. Some of the most intelligent people I have worked with are fairly devout Church of England Christians but are great scientists aside.

Quote by korinaflyingv

Your fedora is showing.
I dunno, I'm kinda with him on that one

Say there's a scientific uncertainty of some kind (I've no idea of what example to use) and two different scientists have opposing views on the matter. One's a devout Christian, one's an athiest. Who are you more likely to side with?
Quote by matt bickerton

Say there's a scientific uncertainty of some kind (I've no idea of what example to use) and two different scientists have opposing views on the matter. One's a devout Christian, one's an athiest. Who are you more likely to side with?

The one who provides the most convincing evidence, obviously.

the one who makes the most cogent evidenced and rational argument.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by matt bickerton

You'd side with the one who has the best evidence backing up his theory.

You wouldn't say well Isaac Newton is a Christian and Einstein is a Jew so both classic and quantum mechanics are wrong.

wow matt got #rekt

Quote by kalypto
Your fedora is showing.

I have literally never owned a fedora.
Quote by RAB11
Point being people are capable of choosing religion on their own without being forced into it by their parents.

Yeah. I made a pretty reductive and probably useless generalisation. I do apologise.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It's possible for scientists to separate their beliefs from the facts they are working on. Some of the most intelligent people I have worked with are fairly devout Church of England Christians but are great scientists aside.

People who believe in God can do great work in science. But I'm not going to respect where they're coming from.
quiet about it, doesn't cause them to silently or vocally judge me for shit and it pretty much never comes up: I can get over it if they are cool enough in other ways

not quiet about it: nope.

though I will say if I don't know the person at all yet and I was looking through their dating profile or something similar, it be an instant no. the above is more if I found about their religion later on.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by korinaflyingv

People who believe in God can do great work in science. But I'm not going to respect where they're coming from.

You're not going to respect someone because of what religion they have? Wow what a scumbag you are

^let's be real you don't have to respect it you just have to acknowledge it

and even so you can believe in whatever bollocks you want: if you can follow a stringent procedure and peer-review the results, you can do science
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by AndersM1
I dated a muslim who told me on the first night she couldn't do anything due to her beliefs. Half an hour later she was performing fellatio.

Fingerguy is that you?

OT It depends how religious they are. If they're, lets say Catholic but don't really practice or bring it up that would be fine but if they go to church and insist that I should join them and bring up their faith quite often I wouldn't want to date them. The same would apply to any religion though and hippies who are all about healing crystals would be a no from me too as they are most likely anti-vaxers.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You're not going to respect someone because of what religion they have? Wow what a scumbag you are

Lol no. I'm not going to respect where they're coming from intellectually. I think everyone deserves respect. But if I'm going to have sex with you I'm also going to want to have discussions and such and not disagree on such a fundamental level.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You'd side with the one who has the best evidence backing up his theory.

You wouldn't say well Isaac Newton is a Christian and Einstein is a Jew so both classic and quantum mechanics are wrong.

Wow okay.

sorry my patriarchy is showing

Quote by EndTheRapture51 at #33899965
sorry my patriarchy is showing

such a shitlord
I'm calling Tumblr on u lyle
Quote by EndTheRapture51
As long as they're not hardcore about it it's cool

that's honestly with almost anything though, not just religion
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
wow matt got #rekt
Perhaps I should've mentioned it outright, but I meant take it as an assumption that both scientists have an equally rational/well backed up argument behind their theory.

Each to their own, I suppose what I mean is that you can be a devout religious scientist should you so choose, but to do so largely requires a relative suspension of belief in the very field you're in - science.

i.e. you're actively going against the majority of logic to support your belief.
Last edited by matt bickerton at Mar 29, 2016,
Page 1 of 4