Hi all,

I need your experience and suggestions for this... I have 2005 Ibanez RG320FM AM... It is a standard RG.

I made some upgrades to the guitar as I have put Dimarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire set in it and have upgraded tone cap to Orange Drop. From tone perspective, I can feel the value of this upgrade and the guitar sounds very nice. From playability perspective, the guitar is OK but I keep hearing that playability of RG Prestige is totally different and way much better than my RG.

I haven't played a Prestige before... I need some feedback from those who owned both guitars; RG Standard and RG Prestige. Is the difference that huge? How about Prestige stock pickups comparing to my Dimarzio? Can other upgrades be made to my RG to feel more like a Prestige?

If I will go to RG Prestige, what is the best choice considering that:
1. I usually buy used
2. I need a guitar with basswood body
3. Tremolo is a must

This is my current guitar:
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
I think Prestige will add a very amazing neck or something I've heard about that before too.
Anyway wait for this guy to come ----> (trashedlostfdup) (god of guitar forums) He got 4 Prestige I think
I'm not expert on Ibanez, but I've had a few roll through for setups.

The Lo-Pro Edge is super comfortable. I'm not sure if it's a completely different type of Edge from other Ibanez guitars, but their design fits in a recess very comfortably. The S bodies are especially ergonomic. Tuning stability was rock solid. I came to prefer Ibanez style floating trems over the LFR/OFR options after a while.

To me, the Prestiges seemed like they had a bit more of a D shape on the back, so the thumb-against proper style for the shreddy shreddy stuff was a bit more comfortable.

The pickups were fine. I would probably prefer your Dimarzios, myself.

Hope you find one!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by joseph24
I think Prestige will add a very amazing neck or something I've heard about that before too.
Anyway wait for this guy to come ----> (trashedlostfdup) (god of guitar forums) He got 4 Prestige I think

Ippon has me out ranked. lol.

I do have four, a 1570, 2550, 2570 and a 3550. However i have no experience with the non-prestige models.

All i can say about them is that when you pick one up, it feels like a solid guitar. The trems are excellent, i can take any of mine and dive to beyond floppy or pull up all the way and it stays perfectly in tune. The non dimarzio stock pickups leave some to be desired. But as with any guitar they are easily swapped. Nice ones can be found under $600 used all day. I will surely acquire a fifth in the future.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Ippon has me out ranked. lol.

I do have four, a 1570, 2550, 2570 and a 3550. However i have no experience with the non-prestige models.

All i can say about them is that when you pick one up, it feels like a solid guitar. The trems are excellent, i can take any of mine and dive to beyond floppy or pull up all the way and it stays perfectly in tune. The non dimarzio stock pickups leave some to be desired. But as with any guitar they are easily swapped. Nice ones can be found under $600 used all day. I will surely acquire a fifth in the future.

Thank you boss... your input for sure pushes me a bit more towards getting a Prestige but to pull the trigger, I still need some comparative view between standard with upgrades versus prestige with stock parts.

Additionally, which model you recommend? (Basswood body)
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Any particular reason you're so keen on a basswood body?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I love my RGD Prestige. Basswood body, Maple/Wenge Wizard 7 prestige neck. 26.5" scale if you like tuning down. Comes with a black Tusq nut, a high quality comfortable bridge, and the stock ibanez V77/V87 actually really surprised me. I was kinda bummed a high end guitar came with stock brand made pickups, but these are very usable. I haven't changed mine yet after owning it for 2 years or so.

It comes down to every part being quality from the hardware down to the wood. The fretwork on mine is smooth as butter and there isn't a single thing i can complain about.
(signature removed, please choose another)
What you're getting in a Prestige is a better trem and hardware, a better neck and much better overall build quality. I have a RGR1570 and love it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Any particular reason you're so keen on a basswood body?

I have 2 other mahogany body guitars...
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Prestiges are just better in pretty much every way (though I would keep the pickup upgrade you have put into your current guitar). They are built better, the hardware is better, they FEEL better...

I have personally never owned a Prestige (not an Ibanez guy) but I have played a LOT of Ibanezes (all my friends ARE Ibanez guys). The Prestige models are definitely a pretty big step up in terms of all-round quality.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by mockbel
Thank you boss... your input for sure pushes me a bit more towards getting a Prestige but to pull the trigger, I still need some comparative view between standard with upgrades versus prestige with stock parts.

Additionally, which model you recommend? (Basswood body)

my favorite of the group are the 2570 and 2550. no real reason, i just tend to find those in my hands most often.

as far as pickups go, i have the CL/LQ combo in the 2570 and i love them (kept the original SC in), one has the TZ/AN, another the stock DImarzio/IBZ in the guitar, and the fourth has and another has d-activators ready to be installed when i get to it.

if you are going to sell your RG to fund the prestige, i would put it bac kto stock and sell it, and throw the CL/LQ in the prestige.

i would not bother upgrading your RG any further. a huge difference is the bridge, and they are stupid expensive to purchase.

the fretwork on my prestiges are fantastic, absolute first class. the trems are really nice too, everything is stellar IMO.

go for it!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by J_W
What you're getting in a Prestige is a better trem and hardware, a better neck and much better overall build quality.

pretty much, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Today I went jamming with a friend... I played his PRS S2 Custom 24... It plays very nice by the way... I know it is mahogany body

Ibanez RG Prestige or PRS Custom 24 ?
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
i haven't had much experience with the S-2's, but knowing PRS they are likely very nice. CU24's are very nice, but they are at a way different price target. also most don't have floyds, totally different necks. different everything. it wouldn't be anything like a prestige.

i will put it this way: from my experience, if you can find a nice prestige for $600-$700, you will get more mileage out of that than the $1000 or so PRS S2.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I think target is identified... Prestige...
As I have just purchased my Gibson R8.. I think next guitar purchase will not be before few months... and it will be a Prestige... May be PRS CU24 could come next...

I can live with my RG for time being without thinking of any further mods

Thank you all... you are great
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
R8 is very cool. Are you sure you wouldn't want to consider an Ibanez USRG to properly fit near the Gibson?
Gibson LP Custom
ESP KH-2
USA Dean Rust From Hell 35/100
Washburn N4 Corina 1/75
Washburn EA20S NB
Squier Hello Kitty
Dean Dime from Hell Baby
Randall Warhead (sale!)
Krank Rev Jr Pro
Yamaha THR10X
Quote by FK_Ultra
R8 is very cool. Are you sure you wouldn't want to consider an Ibanez USRG to properly fit near the Gibson?

What is that

First time to know that there is USA made Ibanez

Any experience with these things guys? I did a quick search on ebay and found few for sale but all are 90's made... is it a discontinued series or what? I can't find anything about it on Ibanez website as well.

How do they compare to Prestige? I noted alder body thing.. any other differences? Which is better built?
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by dmchannelitaly
Prestige is essentially better build quality, hard-case and the special fret treatment.

FWIW the hard-cases are extremely nice. molded perfectly and solid as fuck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well I prefer to continue on same threat rather than starting a new one...
I have a 2006 MIJ Jackson DK2 offered locally... how would you compare it to a Prestige ??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BuyAndSellMusicalInstrumentsEgypt/permalink/10154170721696103/
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
not just as good. not as good of a trem, the guitar overall is probably not just as good (thought still a good instrument), and i'm not sure it's a 2006-2007 model because I thought (though i could just be misremembering) that 2006 was when they started using real duncans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not just as good. not as good of a trem, the guitar overall is probably not just as good (thought still a good instrument), and i'm not sure it's a 2006-2007 model because I thought (though i could just be misremembering) that 2006 was when they started using real duncans.

Oh... this makes me feel that my current Korean Ibanez (with upgraded Dimarzios) is better than this Jackson
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
i dunno about that, but maybe not enough of a step-up to really be worth it. i mean, i really like the MIJ jacksons too, but i think the prestiges are slightly better (especially the ones with better trems).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm a Jackson guy but the Prestige will have likely had more attention to detail during the manufacturing process!

That said I'd love to have that Dinky it would match my Eerie Dess RR3
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

i have owned three MIJ jacksons (DKMG, DKMGT, and a DXMG), while nice instruments and a good value, they aren't comparable to my prestiges. the fretwork is not nearly as good, the trem (as dave said) is much inferior, and it doesn't have the same feel.

saying that, it still is a nice guitar, but not up to the level of the ibanez prestige.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Thanks folks... I will pass on it... although I love the look of this DK2 !!!!
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by mockbel
Thanks folks... I will pass on it... although I love the look of this DK2 !!!!

I plan to aquire a Prestige for myself, most go for $800 to $900 used in my area and occasionally $600 or $700, I just have not had the right amount of cash at the right time yet, I usually buy sub $500 MIJ Jacksons then upgrade to an OFR later when I have the money.

Yes the Eerie Dess Swirl is a rather striking finish, pictures just do not do them justice, in person they are quite impressive! Here is a shot of my 2010 RR3

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 5, 2016,
I went from an RG120 to an S420 to an RG2550Z recently.

- Amazing neck. Not just the dimensions, but the edge of the fretboard is super smooth. It's like there's a permanent coating of talcum powder on it - same for the neck.

- Better build quality. Feels solid.

- Mine has Dimarzio pickups

- Came set-up

- Case included and it fits the guitar perfectly.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I think with some mods, you can get the MIJ Jacksons to be comparable to a Prestige, but you would need to put more money into them to upgrade the trem.

Having played 20 different MIJ Pro Jacksons, I think the fretwork on the MIJ Jacksons is generally pretty damn good and consistent.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 15, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think with some mods, you can get the MIJ Jacksons to be comparable to a Prestige, but you would need to put more money into them to upgrade the trem.

Having played 20 different MIJ Pro Jacksons, I think the fretwork on the MIJ Jacksons is generally pretty damn good and consistent.

I have to agree I have 5 MIJ Jackson's and a MIJ Charvel the fretwork is great on all of them.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge