I'm quickly losing patience with this f**king thing. I have so far managed to understand that I need to connect the MIDI *controller to the computer and then to make sure that it is detected by Ableton Lite 9 (the DAW I'm currently using).

From there I manage to get the VI sorted, and I can hear the beats (I'm using drums on it) but for some reason when I arm the track and then hit record, poof. No sound.

It feels like there is something really Nooby that I'm not doing which is the exact reason why I can't get it to record. Thanks for the help
Last edited by fchfgvsabgf1 at Mar 29, 2016,
What is 'the MIDI'? That's not really the way to phrase it, so I'm just a little confused. I'm guessing you mean a midi controller.

Sounds like you have the controller hooked up and getting drum sounds when you play it. Now you're trying to record them, but it's not tracking. Is that right?

Are you in recording a loop in session view or a full pass in arrangement view?

Can you post a screenshot of your session? That may help me pinpoint what's wrong. I use MIDI allllll the time in Ableton and remember there being a small learning curve, so hopefully I can help you through it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sorry, yeah I did mean a MIDI controller, I've gotten so used to just calling them MIDIs when I'm talking to my friends, I forget that people won't instantly know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, that's exactly what's going on. I'm fairly sure it is in full pass arrangement view, I haven't got as far as looping anything yet.

I just went back into it again to take a screenshot of it, but now it is working perfectly, for whatever annoying, yet convenient reason
Quote by fchfgvsabgf1
Sorry, yeah I did mean a MIDI controller, I've gotten so used to just calling them MIDIs when I'm talking to my friends, I forget that people won't instantly know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, that's exactly what's going on. I'm fairly sure it is in full pass arrangement view, I haven't got as far as looping anything yet.

I just went back into it again to take a screenshot of it, but now it is working perfectly, for whatever annoying, yet convenient reason

Ha, yeah, sometimes that happens. Ableton is crazy flexible - you should look into making loops in the session view, then you can play the loops into arrangement view. That way if you have a repetitive drumbeat, you can lay it down once and then loop it across the arrangement. You can go into the arrangement afterwards and split it apart and edit in fills and stuff. It's crazy useful for demos.

Good luck!

ps I could be wrong, but I think you and your friends are the only people who call them 'MIDIs' and you may want to get out of that habit as soon as you can so you don't look like a fool in the future. I'm not trying to be a dick, just honest advice, that's the kind of thing that could make a great possible connection take you less seriously. Just my two cents
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by fchfgvsabgf1
Aha, it has just done it again, dropped in a recording I made before just to see what I can do with the drums afterwards, anyway, it's not making any sound.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u370/willjenks1/Untitled_zpseqgwtr5t.jpg

We could be to be honest, I get into some weird habits, thanks for the tip

I see what's wrong - the channel has gone back to session mode, you need to click that triangle on the right side of the drum track (or the orange button just beneath the 81 timestamp) to send it 'back to arrangement' - you'll find some more info here: http://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live-9-tutorial-session-view-vs-arrangement-view/

You definitely want to spend some time learning how session and arrangement views work and how they interact, it will save you so many headaches in the future once you get through this particular part of the learning curve.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass