Hello everyone! Been around the site for awhile now, figured I'd finally join the community, and start with explaining what I've got it to work with, and maybe get some advice to get myself started. As of now, I'm using a video game to learn to play (Rocksmith) but a video game can only do so much, and I'm going around the internet reading up tips and advice from real guitarists.
So uh... Here's my story...

I've had an electric guitar for awhile now, but could never play it. Finally decided to learn how to play the thing.
Been using this site to learn some pieces of random songs, but some of my notes buzz, some notes sound completely muted and horribly out of tune.
So I hooked up my digital tuner, loosened the clamps, and tuned each string, and once tuned, went back to double check each string... and they were already out of tune again. Even with the clamps tightened down on the strings, they went out of tune in mere seconds.

I've been fiddling around with my truss rod for a few days now, and seem to have gotten it just right finally, it only buzzes after it's gone out of tune now, and holds it's tuning for a minute or so now (opposed to a few seconds)

The guitar is several years old now, just been sitting on it's stand for ages. Cleaned it off with pure lemon oil, as I was recommended to use on for the wood. The strings are pretty gunked up looking, and fairly rusted as well, and the thinnest string keeps keeps pulling out of the bridge, which I've taken apart and fixed, so that doesn't happen anymore.

I've done what I can, but it still won't hold it's tune. The strings are an obvious problem, and the piece that holds the strings in their position near the head is super worn down, almost to the wood. So I'm taking it in to a shop for a full service/repair/whatever else the professional finds wrong with it.

I'm just learning to play, I've been learning little 5 to 6 note patterns from various songs using the tabs here, but recently decided to try learning guitar from playing Rocksmith, which has been getting me much MUCH better results, being able to play along with the song, with the proper timing, and an early/late note indicator, with accuracy scores and ability to slow down the music to a playable level, then slowly crank it up until I can play full speed, and all the other features. Make it much easier to try learning to play, opposed to reading some tabs, trying to play three or four notes until I can play it right, then trying the next 3 or 4... then trying to remember all 8 and play them together... and not really knowing how fast or slow to be playing each note.

It's too hard to want to learn through tabs... I'm sure once I can actually play this instrument, tabs will be great. But not for somebody who only knows the very basics of what he's doing.

So Rocksmith it is, but thanks to my tuning issues mentioned above, even on Rocksmith I can't play, since after about a minute, every note of every string is a miss on the game.
Once I bring it into a shop, and get it back, hopefully I can get back to learning how to use it!

Eventually, I'd also like to get my grandfather's accoustic restored, and learn to play that as well.

But for now, I've got my Ibanez RG370DX electric guitar, a 100 year old unknown brand acoustic guitar, a small 8 inch Line6 amp 15 watts, and a marshal MT1 digital tuner.

So that's my story, glad to finally be a member here... and hopefully I'll be able to learn to play this thing, and maybe even start writing my own tabs!
Defiately take your guitar to a reputable tech have it re-strung and a good professional set up for your tremolo, sounds like your tremolo is out of whack and krusty strings are not going to help.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

No idea what a tremolo is yet!
But I'll make sure to ask the guy at the shop to take a look at it, restring it, etc. Probably pick up a set or two of extra strings as well.

Hopefully then, I can get back to figuring out how to play it again. Just starting to get good with the basics, and some scales.
As mentioned above, you definitely need new strings. Another thing you should probably check is the intonation of your guitar which is essentially making sure the 12th fret is exactly at the halfway point of your strings. A quick google search will give you some more info on that. But definitely take it into your local music shop to get set up. Btw I would love to play rocksmith!!
I brought the guitar into a shop, didn't think to ask the tech about intonation, hopefully he just goes ahead and does everything anyways.
Tromolo (or wammy bar) is the bar near the end of your strings that lowers the pitch by giving some slack to the strings, which as a result can end up messing with your tuning.

Cheers!
Gear:

-Epiphone Plus Top Pro Les Paul
-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Yes the tremolo or vibrato is the bridge I was assuming that you had a floating tremolo system such as a Floyd Rose or some variation of one when you mentioned loosening and tightening clamps. Floating tremolos are not easy to set up properly especially if you have no experience with them. Just know that if a string the rest of them will be out of tune, changing strings will not be a simple task. There is a thread here in the electric guitar forum that is about setting up a Floyd Rose style tremolo system.

Best of luck let us know what your guitar is like when you get it back!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 11, 2016,