I will preface this by saying that I am a huge Metallica fan. Once I heard "...And Justice For All," I became hooked. And since then, I've learned nearly all of their songs on guitar & drums, and I continue to crank their music nearly every day even after 7 years.

With that said, I have come to highly enjoy both Load & ReLoad. They have been in my CD rotation very frequently for the last 2 years.

Why did it take so long for me to realize that these albums are actually good? To be honest, I had never really given either of the albums a chance. But once I did, I came to be familiar with even more great songs, such as "Bleeding Me," "Thorn Within," "Carpe Diem Baby," Prince Charming," and even more.

Granted there are some stinkers ("Mama Said," "Fixxxer," "Poor Twisted Me") but for the most part, these albums are solid.

And when I started learning some of these songs, I thought they would be very simple and take me no time at all to learn; however, these songs have much more intricate guitar work (not so much drum work) than I realized, and it gave me a new view on these albums. The arrangements still scream Metallica, but it is definitely not thrash. But, in my opinion, that is a good thing.

I could talk for days, but I want to hear others' opinions, as well as arguments both for and against the albums.

DISCUSS!!!
Metallica was probably the first metal band I got into, like 15 years ago or more. These days I am not the biggest fan and don't really listen to them, old stuff or new. Load and Reload are mainly filler with a few catchy tunes thrown in, and overall I think it's more hard rock than it is metal. But either way I don't really like either album and neither would be what I reach for when I decide to listen to Metallica. However intricate/complex they are isn't something that factors into my opinion.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Agreed. Not "thrash" but still Metallica. And same for me, Justice was my first album, still my favorite followed closely by Puppets. Load and Reload are incredibly solid rock albums. Fuel is probably my least favorite Metallica track but still I think these albums can stand on their own.
I think the hate has more to do with the fact that both albums were somewhat more blatantly commercial and accessible than Metallica's thrash days, as well as the band's motives behind making more rock-oriented albums. Were Load and ReLoad released by another band, I bet you they'd be more well received.
When you put those 2 albums against their earlier material (which is what most people tend to do automatically) they are so far away in terms of quality, consistency and overall feel that they are judged harshly (and rightly so imo)

If only they had put out those albums as some new rock band wearing masks like the stupid ghost thing, they would have been appreciated while also keeping fans like me happier.

I used to be a big fan, but frankly I stopped listening to them ever since I bought Load and Reload casettes back when they came out. Luckily I was spared the atrocity to come after that.
Quote by supertom1
I think the hate has more to do with the fact that both albums were somewhat more blatantly commercial and accessible than Metallica's thrash days, as well as the band's motives behind making more rock-oriented albums. Were Load and ReLoad released by another band, I bet you they'd be more well received.

This.
I have no problem saying that some of the songs are decent, but they are essentially alternative songs. They gave up their original sound to "experiment" but the experimentation was essentially a way to make money instead of an experiment to improve their music, they wanted more radio time. Now that metal has gained more of a foothold again they switched their sound up to go back to their roots. I was more disappointed in the band than anything, their first 4 albums are why I started listening to metal - evident by high school username on here.
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson