Let say you had some time off (because I do... kind of) and you could dedicate the days to music (not the same level as being in a studio but whatever) how many songs do you think you could write with in that time frame?

*don't get too hung up on the particulars of the scenario because I know some of you guys will... so just go with it, I need a realistic opinion on this so I know what to aim for.

**my buddy is working with a company that deals with local talent and he said the set list for the performers is about 2 hours and my other buddy who does acoustic venues they all preform for 1 hour.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Lol like half a shit eating noise drone track if I'm lucky.

In 2 months? I can do that in 15-20 minutes (you probably can too)... but I need to create material I can sing to and that I could perform.
Quote by MindIsMaster at #33900597
*don't get too hung up on the particulars of the scenario because I know some of you guys will... so just go with it, I need a realistic opinion on this so I know what to aim for.

there's a good reason that people will get "hung up" on the particulars, since without these particulars the question is of no real value. there are enough variables (aside from the obvious quality > quantity consideration) that addressing this at such a general level is a pointless exercise.
How many instruments? How robust of an arrangement? How complete does the material have to be?

The particulars and your opinions are going to be what sway this from zero to a full album.

Are you having a writing spurt? Do you have something to say? Do you have riffs and melody lines already internalized or even individual riffs recorded on garbage tracks? Is it just you, 2 people, or a full 5 person setup? Are we playing 2 string ditties & power chords or are you looking for something prog-rock or swept metal?

In regard to time and material content - I've been able to pull together hour long sets (10-13 tracks) of cover material in about 2-3 months provided I have familiarity of the material walking into it.

**Generalization warning** Any party guitarist will tell you that the fastest way to get people to listen to you is to play stuff they know. If you're looking at putting together 10 songs (figure an hour) and you're 60/40 covers to originals, I think it doable to write 4 finished & polished originals with up to 2 members within the suggested time frame - and learn 6 covers.

Your mileage will vary given external factors, motivation, dedication, and appeal. I honestly think you can hit the hour gig @ 60/40 cover to original. More than that seems a bit ambitious without burnout and fatigue.
Quite a bit. Most, if not all, of it would be garbage.

How much quality, usable material that I would be proud of a decade from now?

How high is up?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
2 months worth of material. /thread

Why does it matter? Your break will be over either way, might as well have something to show for it.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Start with one and see how long it takes. Then divide the amount of time you have left by the amount of time it took to do that one song.

Different people take different amounts of time to do things and have different standards of acceptability of their own work.

Some people could write a song in fifteen minutes and after rehearsing it and arranging it might produce something in a few hours. Other's might take the two months to work on a single shit eating noise drone track. -Nothing wrong with either of those results. As long as you enjoy what you're working on.
Si
It depends on how much I care.

If it was stuff for my original project, I would obsess and fret and try to be original and creative and take forever.

If it was for someone else's group and I just had to contribute some parts, it would be way easier.

If it was just for fun and the songs could just be generic blues/country/rock/folk then it wouldn't be that hard either.
1464 hours of music if I am only allowed to record in real time.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Whoa big dick Charlie over here.

Ah common man, how else am I suppose to interpret "half a shit eating noise drone track"

And as someone who's roots are ambient/noise/drone (the beginning days for me of playing guitar was - I use to make sloppy loops of layered guitar tracks) so to create a drone track would be my specialty but not ideal for what I'm trying to do.
Quote by Jet Penguin
2 months worth of material. /thread

Why does it matter? Your break will be over either way, might as well have something to show for it.

Trying to build a consensus so my expectations are realistic... that's why.
Quote by dPrimmy
How many instruments? How robust of an arrangement? How complete does the material have to be?

The particulars and your opinions are going to be what sway this from zero to a full album.

Are you having a writing spurt? Do you have something to say? Do you have riffs and melody lines already internalized or even individual riffs recorded on garbage tracks? Is it just you, 2 people, or a full 5 person setup? Are we playing 2 string ditties & power chords or are you looking for something prog-rock or swept metal?

In regard to time and material content - I've been able to pull together hour long sets (10-13 tracks) of cover material in about 2-3 months provided I have familiarity of the material walking into it.

**Generalization warning** Any party guitarist will tell you that the fastest way to get people to listen to you is to play stuff they know. If you're looking at putting together 10 songs (figure an hour) and you're 60/40 covers to originals, I think it doable to write 4 finished & polished originals with up to 2 members within the suggested time frame - and learn 6 covers.

Your mileage will vary given external factors, motivation, dedication, and appeal. I honestly think you can hit the hour gig @ 60/40 cover to original. More than that seems a bit ambitious without burnout and fatigue.

Thanks for actually giving an estimate instead of trashing the question...

It's just me and my guitar/voice. I originally was going to make this an acoustic project but now it's whatever gets the job done (so if there needs to be a blend of acoustic and electric songs so be it) I don't have a band.

I have two friends involved with venues & booking, 1 does an acoustic/folk/indie circuit and all the performers usually do an hour set list while my other friend is a little different and the acts need a 2 hour set list.

I was trying to motivate myself into being a part of what they are doing instead of watching from the sidelines and now is just about as good of time as any or that I may ever will have.
Quote by MindIsMaster
**my buddy is working with a company that deals with local talent and he said the set list for the performers is about 2 hours and my other buddy who does acoustic venues they all preform for 1 hour.

Cool. Your buddy is obviously booking solo acoustic guys who play covers in the background while people drink. I say this bwcause that is the only type of musician that is booked for two hours (cover bands = 3 to 4 hours, originals = 30mins to 1 hour).

If you are booked for 2 hours, you usually have a 15 minute break. Typically this means that a 2 hour gig is a 45 minute set plus a 1 hour set.

Usually 45 mins = 12 songs, 1 hour = 16 songs

So you need to learn 28 songs in 2 months.

If I was just learning the songs (we are talking about covers that are already written), and just doing the guitar parts, it would likely take me a couple of hours to learn and memorise everything. I've been doing it for years though.

For you, just put effort in and you'll get there. Learning 28 songs in 2 months should be easy.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well considering my most recent work which was a 7 minute piece for solo violin took me 3 month from conception to score, and that I spent at least 100 hours on it. Not much. But this was probably my most original work to date.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Mar 30, 2016,
For me, creation time / play time ratio is about 100:1.

If I were to try to achieve truly professional results it would be higher.
I am able to get about 1 track done a week, from inspiration to mixing down. So in two months, about 8 tracks, but that's so long as I don't get writer's block and have a bum week.
My most recent thing I wrote was a 30 minute album and it took me about 2 days to write it. Recording it would probably take me a lot longer given that it's really technically demanding and I'm not the best guitarist. Within the past week I recorded about 7 songs of instrumentals for an electronic project that I wrote a few months ago.

I'd say, if I was trying really really hard to make a high quality, great sounding record, I would be able to do two in the space of two months. If I were doing shit demos or like an electronic album I could probably get like 5 done max.
If there is a God, it's me.
I think the biggest variable in all of this is what genre of music you are into. Acoustic is a sub genre. If you are writing an intricate acoustic Jazz piece, then obviously that is going to take a hell of a lot longer than learning to play Nutshell by Alice in Chains (still my favorite song even though it's crazy easy to learn).

I find that most people who are singing and playing at the same time generally just get a nice chord progression, strum pattern and then lyrics together. You can bang out songs pretty quick that way if you know basic song structure. Now, I am not saying they will be great, as nothing I have ever written has been. But it's always better to just start playing and getting stuff down.

So for more specific timing, I say it usually takes me about 2-3 days to come up with, learn to play cleanly, and roughly record a track. That's with guitar, bass, really basic drums, and vocals. Sometimes some keys parts, but not usually. That's also if I am "inspired", though. Having creative block can be the worst thing ever. No matter what you do, everything will sound wrong.

With all of that said, I will echo what a lot of other people here have said and that is to go at your own speed. Everyone has varying speeds at which they work. You can't get hung up on those things.
I think you're better off just making sure you focus and spend the time doing it, and do as many songs as you can, given that's what you did. It can be good to have a deadline, but the time it takes me to make a song can vary quite a bit. I sometimes make sort of place holders just to get the song moving, but I do take a lot of care with the lyrics I write, and it can take me a while to get it to where I want it. I will often review things and make changes if something doesn't quite sit with me right. I will even sometimes improve songs well after I considered them done, also. So, there's a bit of a grey area there between taking forever for just small improvements, and taking your time to really get it done right by you.

In 2 months time, it depends to what extent I am to write the song. With completed production and all that, I probably wouldn't expect to make more than 3 or 4 tracks in that time. But just writing the fundamentals of a song is a lot faster than recording arranging and producing it. Depending on the level of complexity, and fit and finish of course.

Writing the music and melody can be pretty fast for me. I could easily write a song a day like that. On a good day, I could probably write even up to around five that are just simple that way. But for lyrics, it can take me a bit longer. Sometimes that's because I have a tough time finding what I want to write about, and sometimes how to say it. So, I could say a good target would be one song completed every 2 days, but I honestly don't think I could come up with 30 good song ideas one after the other like that. On the other hand, I never really tried.

For me personally I wouldn't want to just spend all that time writing new content either. There are other things I would want to work on as well.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Apr 1, 2016,