Poll: Would you be interested in buying something like this?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you be interested in buying something like this?
Nah, I'm fine with the USB cable and PC/Mac software.
2 33%
Yes! But I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it.
2 33%
Yes and it sounds cool enough that I'd be willing to pay $50 for it!
2 33%
Voters: 6.
A few months back, I bought my daughter the pro acoustic Fretlight guitar.

It's pretty cool, but would be so much better if she could use it from her iPhone without the USB cable.

Fretlight *just* announced new wireless versions of their guitars, but all the existing Fretlights sold over the last 5+ years (including my daughter's) require a PC/Mac and USB cables to work.

Before I heard about their new guitars, I spent the last few months designing and building a Bluetooth adapter for the Fretlight along with an iOS application that can display chords and play Guitar Pro (currently just .gpx) files on the Fretlight wirelessly:

https://twitter.com/JeremySF/status/714981375003086848
https://twitter.com/JeremySF/status/712428435247771648
https://vine.co/v/iDtHHPPpAqz

I'm trying to figure out if there is a market for something like this. Not expecting to make tons of them, but does anyone know if there are any online communities of Fretlight owners or any Fretlight owners here?

I figure there must be a fair number of Fretlight owners like me and my daughter who have the current model, but would love to use it wirelessly from their iPhone / Android devices.

Thanks gang!

Jeremy
Last edited by JeremySF at Mar 29, 2016,
i think the market is a little too small to make it desirable and profitable. honestly most of those guitars go by the wayside. as they in most cases they either aren't used, or people grow out of them relatively soon.

if you choose to pursue this, i wish you luck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
[JeremySFi
If you make an adapter that can connect and use the new apps it would be great! There are a lot of people with wired Fretlights that use a PC for their guitar due to the portability. I stopped using a laptop years ago, In fact, I kept my laptop for years only for my Fretlight. The nice thing about the app option is everyone carries their phone or IPad etc with them. I think that your device would revive a lot of people interest in their wired Fretlights. I would have to disagree with the comment that a lot Fretlights are grown out of or put aside to rot away. I have a number of guitars both acoustic and electric and my Fretlight electric is definately a good quality guitar with or without the plugging into a computer. Please keep us posted on your progress
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think the market is a little too small to make it desirable and profitable. honestly most of those guitars go by the wayside. as they in most cases they either aren't used, or people grow out of them relatively soon.

if you choose to pursue this, i wish you luck.
This. I really do not see much at all of any Fretlight users. In fact this is the first post I have seen about it on UG. They just project patterns (scales I guess?) onto the fretboard, right? Why pay money for that when you can just look up whatever pattern you need to on the internet for free?
Quote by Will Lane
This. I really do not see much at all of any Fretlight users. In fact this is the first post I have seen about it on UG. They just project patterns (scales I guess?) onto the fretboard, right? Why pay money for that when you can just look up whatever pattern you need to on the internet for free?

No, they do a good bit more than that, you might want to look it up just for curiousity. I've got no need for it, but it's pretty cool for a beginner.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin