So I was saving up for an Orange but my girlfriends brother gave me his old amp out the kindness of his heart. It's an old Vox Valvetronix AD60VT 1x12 Combo.

He said it was hybrid amp and even gave me the foot pedal thats made for it. First things first it's dusty as all hell so I have to clean it. However, what type of tubes does it use. Pretty sure those may need to be changed. I have to look up a reputable tech in Vegas to take it too. I think it turns on but I'll try using it after I get it cleaned.

Anyone know anything about this amplifier?
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Mar 29, 2016,
Quote by anthonymarisc
So I was saving up for an Orange but my girlfriends brother gave me his old amp out the kindness of his heart. It's an old Vox AD60VT 1x12 Combo.

He said it was hybrid amp and even gave me the foot pedal thats made for it. First things first it's dusty as all hell so I have to clean it. However, what type of tubes does it use. Pretty sure those may need to be changed. I have to look up a reputable tech in Vegas to take it too. I think it turns on but I'll try using it after I get it cleaned.

Anyone know anything about this amplifier?

just one tube (12AX7), and i forgot what it uses it for. i have heard that the tube doesn't do a whole lot. i have even heard (not confirmed) that it would work without it. throw a JJ in if you want, it couldn't hurt anything.

nice amp! i haven't owned one, but when i taught lessons the place had a pair of them in the rooms. highly underrated. make sure you take the guy out for a beer.

congrats!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Nice modeling amp especially for Jimi, SRV, Gimour, The Edge. I have a Vox Tonelab LE with similar front end. If the tube is glowing you are good to go. 12AX7 in this application last long time.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by anthonymarisc
How does it handle higher gain stuff? Can I still do Sabbath on this thing? JJ EL84 perhaps?

Came across this page.

http://www.amptone.com/voxvalvetronix.htm#_Toc144954397

Sabbath and EVH yes, Metallica not so much. Clean it up and then crank it up. There are some good preset websites out there with dedicated fans. This is a pretty good one without all the unnecessary whining:

http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/AD15,30,50,100%20-%20VT/VTH/model_1_score_1.html
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 29, 2016,
i thought it was a 12ax7??? but i could be wrong.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i thought it was a 12ax7??? but i could be wrong.

I think it does use a 12AX7. Don't really know much about this amp myself. I plugged it in, seems to work fine. Don't know why he said there was issues with it.
No need for a tech unless it doesn't work right. Changing the tube yourself is easy as pie
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Great amps. My first amp was a Vox AD30VT and it served me well for a long time. It won't do modern metal or hard rock very well, but classic metal and rock, it'll do great!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have essentially the same amp, the predecessor AD60 VTX. The following is a link that provides more info:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ad60.html

I doubt changing the one 12AX7 tube would be that much of a difference. It is a decent modeling amp. I don't care for any of the presets, but they work for a decent platform for adjustment. The effects are decent, line out is decent and the wattage settings are nice for playing at bedroom levels.

You should be able to find the original PDF owners manual online.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
just one tube (12AX7), and i forgot what it uses it for.

Marketing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Actually from what I remember there are two tubes one in front of the preamp and other in front of the power amp, so they do server a purpose, provide some non-linearity to the signal for more tube-like experience. They do something because the other guitarist in my band had the AVT120 (big head) and has had to replace these twice in the years that he's owned the amp, one time it cutout after one of the tubes failed.
If you bother to read a bit online, there are explanations as to the purpose of these. Since they're both at low voltages, they really don't get much character out into the amp so you can't "tune" it by changing preamp tubes but they add some tube goodness to the overall response.
Quote by diabolical
Actually from what I remember there are two tubes one in front of the preamp and other in front of the power amp, so they do server a purpose, provide some non-linearity to the signal for more tube-like experience. They do something because the other guitarist in my band had the AVT120 (big head) and has had to replace these twice in the years that he's owned the amp, one time it cutout after one of the tubes failed.
If you bother to read a bit online, there are explanations as to the purpose of these. Since they're both at low voltages, they really don't get much character out into the amp so you can't "tune" it by changing preamp tubes but they add some tube goodness to the overall response.

The AD60VT has only one 12AX7 tube. Agree that it may color the sound a little, but not significantly. It is a solid modeling amp for what it was at the time.
I think the 60 only has one tube. Not sure. Look underneath the chassis and see. The 120 has two.

You said it all works, so good! Should be a 12AX7. Preamp tubes usually last a reasonable while, and in the AD circuit they generally do not need to be changed as often as an all-tube circuit anyways. You could change it as a preventative maintenance kind of thing.
Quote by diabolical

IIRC it's a standard starved-plate design similar to that used in every low voltage tube "guitar stuff" offering ever (like the "tube" pedals that are out there). Sure, when it's in circuit it alters the tone slightly, just like any conglomeration of components has the capacity to do but what it does NOT do is provide any of the tube characteristics we generally associate with tube amps.

Doesn't make it a bad amp, but the included tube is a cynical marketing gimmick.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin