Hi guys, sorry if this has been covers had a quick nosey but couldn't find exactly what one looking for.
So I'm a self taught player. Probably have a ton of bad habits and poor technique but I get by. Prefer playing with my fingers and not picks in all scenarios. Can use picks but choose not to. But anyways I started out by learning chord based songs. Then progressed onto finger picked stuff that's based around chords. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know any scales and this is my problem. I've had a look online for tutorials etc and it just boggles my mind with all the different scales out there. So I'm wondering where I should start? Which scales do I definitely absolutely 100% need to learn. Which can I live without for now. I'm just after the basics for now and if anyone has any good online resources that would be awesome.
Thanks guys
You need to know the major scale at least. If you're using minor chord progressions, then at least learn natural minor (Aeolian), and later, harmonic minor. Depends on what sort of minor stuff you're using.

Maybe justinguitar has stuff on this? He's a good teacher.
Major and Major pentatonic to begin with all the way up the board.If you move those up three frets then you're playing minor(Aeolian) in the same key.Same with the pentatonic which is just a five note version of the whole seven note scale.Major scale is the basis for everything else.
Quote by Thom1989
Hi guys, sorry if this has been covers had a quick nosey but couldn't find exactly what one looking for.
So I'm a self taught player. Probably have a ton of bad habits and poor technique but I get by. Prefer playing with my fingers and not picks in all scenarios. Can use picks but choose not to. But anyways I started out by learning chord based songs. Then progressed onto finger picked stuff that's based around chords. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know any scales and this is my problem. I've had a look online for tutorials etc and it just boggles my mind with all the different scales out there. So I'm wondering where I should start? Which scales do I definitely absolutely 100% need to learn. Which can I live without for now. I'm just after the basics for now and if anyone has any good online resources that would be awesome.
Thanks guys

Here is an efficient route:

1) C major scale - this is THE scale to learn first because it contains no sharps or flats - learn this and you learn where the main notes are on the fretboard. Always play a C Major chord before playing the scale - this will help your ear understand the intervals better.

2) A Minor scale - this is the "relative minor" of C - and also one of the most common scales used. Always play the A minor Chord before playing the scale. You will notice that it contains the exact same notes as C major, but the sound is different - learn why ( hint - intervals!)

3) Learn how chords are named in relation to the intervals of the major scale - 1, 3, 5, = major chord), 1b3,5 = minor chord etc. Learn your intervals.

4) Learn how to analyze a chord progression using the roman numeral system - II, V, I for example.

That should provide you with a solid foundation - it will take a long time to absorb all of that. It helps to analyse this stuff in the context of songs, so when learning the C major scale, find a song that you already know in C Major, so you can see how it is used in context. Same goes for A Minor.
Seriously recommend you check out JustinGuitar: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

That's a link to his beginners course. You will probably know most of the stuff but it would be good to skim over it and see if you have actually developed any bad habits. He teaches the Minor Pentatonic Scale in his Beginners course and how to improvise over a backing track. Then if you check out his Intermediate Method he then goes into the Major Scale and Major Pentatonic.

Minor Pentatonic is cool because you can make something sound really cool just by playing a few notes as it has a very bluesy sound. Major Scale is much more diverse but it's a bit harder to improvise with (in my opinion!).

Definitely check out the link for JustinGuitar though.
I would fix your bad habits first as it will only hinder your playing forever if you don't fix it now.
I don't know what music you play but for Rock,metal,blues,jazz,country.. Using a pick is a must, it's like only drumming with one stick.
If you could record yourself playing something it would really help, as we can see what your doing wrong.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻