depends on what your idea of "the best" is. they are nice pups for those seeking vintage fender tones. many like them for Hendrix tones as well.
From Youtube vids I dug them. Cool jingly sound. I have CS Fat 50s and the 50s are pretty much exactly how I think Strats should classically sound. The 69s are similar with a little more jingly jangly. Either would make me happy
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Nice pickups.Lovely clean tones but to my ear always sounded a little weak,Specially in positions two and four.I had them in a Classic player Strat.
Quote by Stratman2016
Any views on these?
How to get the best out of them?

Thanks.

A good choice for vintage Fender Strat tone. Not radically different from current Fender USA Standard PUs though. "jangly" is a good descriptive term.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeh, think I've made a mistake getting them, they just sound 'scratchy' to me, need something a bit stronger I reckon. Sounds like they're behaving as they should be, just that that's not what I want.

Clean tones ok though with reverb.
Last edited by Stratman2016 at Apr 1, 2016,
Quote by Stratman2016
Yeh, think I've made a mistake getting them, they just sound 'scratchy' to me, need something a bit stronger I reckon. Sounds like they're behaving as they should be, just that that's not what I want.

Clean tones ok though with reverb.

Well Jimi, Blackmore, and SRV were able to get pretty bad azz tone with 69 PUs so don't count them out. The error was in thinking any PU would radically transform your sound. They don't. Differences are subtle and probably represent 2% of your overall tone. Look hard at your amp first which represents the biggest piece of the tonal pie. A cheapie SS practice amp is the source of most players pain.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Well Jimi, Blackmore, and SRV were able to get pretty bad azz tone with 69 PUs so don't count them out. The error was in thinking any PU would radically transform your sound. They don't. Differences are subtle and probably represent 2% of your overall tone. Look hard at your amp first which represents the biggest piece of the tonal pie. A cheapie SS practice amp is the source of most players pain.

actually SRV used older pickups but your point still stands. now i will say that with a strat depending on what pickups you use the sound could vary more than 2%. many pickup makers try to capture the old super clean sound that many associate with the strat. if you want a different sound then it takes some research to see what may work for you. Lace Sensor makes a great variety of strat pickups for different tones. other makers including DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan do as well.

Cajun is right though perhaps you need to rethink your amp settings (or the amp) to get what you want tone wise. what are you looking for?
Last edited by monwobobbo at Apr 1, 2016,
Well if you can send them back, there is the Sinner pups from Bareknuckle which are overwound. I have a hot rails in my bridge but rails are straight up humbuckers so other than bridge I can't recommend
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Hello, yeh plenty of top guitarists got late 60 s starts sounding great and full, dunno what I'm doing wrong. It's mainly the single note lead stuff, am happy with the sound of chords / lower down the neck.... Can't get the higher up lead stuff to blaze out how I want it to.

Amp is decent , black star ht1 r, so valve, all be it just 1 watt for home use.

Reckon I might try out one of the Seymour Duncan stacked hum buckets perhaps.
Quote by Stratman2016
Hello, yeh plenty of top guitarists got late 60 s starts sounding great and full, dunno what I'm doing wrong. It's mainly the single note lead stuff, am happy with the sound of chords / lower down the neck.... Can't get the higher up lead stuff to blaze out how I want it to.

Amp is decent , black star ht1 r, so valve, all be it just 1 watt for home use.

Reckon I might try out one of the Seymour Duncan stacked hum buckets perhaps.

Have you tried raising the height of your pickups?That will defo have an effect on the volume atleast.
Quote by EyeballPaul
Have you tried raising the height of your pickups?That will defo have an effect on the volume atleast.

No, should probably give that a go.
your issue may be your playing. strats are very unforgiving when t comes to playing single note lines and certain chords. if you don't hit them right then it sounds like crap. humbuckers will often make up for this but not single coils. as i recall that blackstar just has a one knob tone control which may b doing you no favors. try adjusting your eq and see if that helps.