Im pretty satisfied with my guitar tone, but my sustain is very weak. What pedal could i get to fix that? I want a lot of sustain. When i bend a note i want it to last for days and I don't want it to lessen my tone. I've been looking at a few compression pedals, but i don't know which one to get. I don't want to make a mistake and get something i'll regret. My Budget is $100.
Last edited by J23L at Mar 31, 2016,
Fernandes sustainer:
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustainer/sustainer.html

Paul Gilbert uses BOSS CS-3 Compressor Sustainer, there's also the T-Rex Tonebug sustainer but AFAIK there's no way of going wrong with the Fernandes sustainer.
what's your current gear?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your current gear?

JCA 20
Les Paul Standard (with Alnico 2 pups)
Quote by J23L
JCA 20
Les Paul Standard (with Alnico 2 pups)

Something is terribly wrong then. A LP with JCA20 should pull all week Santana sustain pretty easily with the right settings. Explore a little deeper into this amp before buying a pedal. If you still think you need more, a clean boost would probably be more effective than a compression. With even moderate gain on this amp the guitar is already heavily compressed.

The Freeze is kind of a trick but it does work if that is the effect you want.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 31, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Something is terribly wrong then. A LP with JCA20 should pull all week Santana sustain pretty easily with the right settings. Explore a little deeper into this amp before buying a pedal. If you still think you need more, a clean boost would probably be more effective than a compression. With even moderate gain on this amp the guitar is already heavily compressed.

The Freeze is kind of a trick but it does work if that is the effect you want.

What is the most important part of an amp's EQ to get a lot of sustain? The gain?
Quote by J23L
What is the most important part of an amp's EQ to get a lot of sustain? The gain?

Well getting the gain right is very important but it is not part of your EQ. Set the guitar on the bridge PU, volume and tone all the way up, increase the gain to get the amount of OD you want, and then explore mid and highs on the amp to find that sustain you are looking for. It is certainly in there. If you find good sustain but the guitar now has too much treble bite, just roll off the tone control on the guitar a bit to tame it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Well getting the gain right is very important but it is not part of your EQ. Set the guitar on the bridge PU, volume and tone all the way up, increase the gain to get the amount of OD you want, and then explore mid and highs on the amp to find that sustain you are looking for. It is certainly in there. If you find good sustain but the guitar now has too much treble bite, just roll off the tone control on the guitar a bit to tame it.

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll play around with it
Notes on the Fernandes Sustainer/Sustainiac Sustainer:

This isn't a pedal, but an electromechanical gizmo that requires installation into your guitar. Essentially it imitates the sustain that results from a feedback loop between your guitar and a very loud amp close by. Instead of the amp's sound output vibrating the string, however, the sustainers turn a pickup-like device into an electromagnet that does so. There are two switches in a normal installation; one that turns the sustainer on and off (there's a 9V battery that provides motive force) and another that allows you to simply sustain the note OR sustain the note and allow it to fade into an octave-above harmonic OR sustain the note and *add* the octave above harmonic.

You can set it up to simply sustain a note (until the battery dies) or to decay after a time. It will do exactly what the OP wants to do, and with NO amp attached at all (which makes it pretty cool for recording direct from a preamp or modeler).

But both versions require installation into the guitar (I have several, including one in an Axcess, another in a Agile Custom LP-alike)
Quote by dspellman
The Freeze will sustain a note/chord, but as it was in an instant. It won't allow you to bend through it, but it will allow you to play something else while it continues to hold that note/chord. Cool pedal, though.

I know but all he said was he wanted his bends to last forever, and it would do that.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Sustain is a good combination of the technique of the player, the guitar (and pickups), amp, volume, and where you stand in the room. That being said, a compressor can do help (by altering the dynamics of the signal), but will change the touch-sensitivity of your playing (that is what it does).
Quote by Arby911
I know but all he said was he wanted his bends to last forever, and it would do that.