Poll: Which style of TV series do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which style of TV series do you prefer?
British style
24 55%
American style
10 23%
ANIME (▰˘◡˘▰)
10 23%
Voters: 44.
Page 1 of 2
What style of TV shows do you prefer?

British style - short series, 6-13 episodes usually, possibly less frequent (biyearly), possibly slightly longer episodes of an hour or more for dramas or 30 minutes for comedies

American style - long series of 2 ish episodes, yearly seasons, Episodes made to accomodate ad breaks

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I don't think I've ever seen a British anything I've enjoyed.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
British but not for the reasons listed in the OP
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Well that's a gross, baseless oversimplification of TV production philosophy if I've ever seen one.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I'll pick the last option since I can't decide between 'em. Both are alright.
Quote by necrosis1193
Well that's a gross, baseless oversimplification of TV production philosophy if I've ever seen one.

Have you met Lyle? That's his schtick. Get a base, surface understanding and then pretend you've fully grasped the field
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33903440
Have you met Lyle? That's his schtick. Get a base, surface understanding and then pretend you've fully grasped the field

Fair point. I'd say it's safe to say I'm not wise enough to refrain from getting into it over something like that at 4 AM when I'm overtired and my mind's not working as well as it should.

On that note, I should really get to sleep. Insomnia sucks.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
presumably anime is generally

- repeat the same expository dialogue in different words
- 5 min recaps
- long, drawn-out shots of surprised faces pulled by the protagonist
- deus ex machina plot device every other episode
- giant tentacle rape monsters
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal

- 5 min recaps
Regular Show is the same plot every single episode and people still eat that up.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

Quote by Banjocal

- 5 min recaps

Also eyes making up at least 75% of the face.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Regular Show is the same plot every single episode and people still eat that up.

People are stupid, though.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I don't care for either 'The Office'. That being said, the dryness of British humor rubs me wrong at times. I realize that different things are considered funny to different cultures, but British shows cause cognitive dissonance:

Into The Loop? Great parts, but bad vibes. An Idiot Abroad? Minimal smirks encompassed by an extreme distaste for the show's premises, narrator, Ricky Gervais, and just plain out rude tbh (in a non-funny, non-value-adding way). John Oliver? I've seen enough to stop (~10 minutes).He should leave IMO. The Mighty Boosh? Idk, I saw the first episode before closing it because it left me dissatisfied after lmao to an Old Gregg clip ~2008.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Mar 31, 2016,
Lard you're watching the wrong stuff mate Gervais and Oliver are the worst we have to offer

Check out anything of: Father Ted, Porridge, Blackadder Goes Forth, Armstrong and Miller, Not The Nine O'Clock News and That Mitchell & Webb Look
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by necrosis1193

Why don't you bother enlightening me instead of just being an know it all arsewipe about it then

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Banjocal

- 5 min recaps

Nah it's more like

- 12-13(24-ish if you're lucky) episodes of nothing actually fucking happening with an extremely melodramatic emotional climax near the end which usually results in maintaining the status quo regardless of what happens.

- Must be an adaptation because original ideas are difficult

- Can't actually have an ending because the source material is still on-going.

Then give or take the shit you mentioned.

Last edited by NothingRocks at Mar 31, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal
Lard you're watching the wrong stuff mate Gervais and Oliver are the worst we have to offer

Check out anything of: Father Ted, Porridge, Blackadder Goes Forth, Armstrong and Miller, Not The Nine O'Clock News and That Mitchell & Webb Look

I probably won't watch any of those but here are my tastes from your kind: Hot Fuzz >>>> Shaun of the Dead >>> World's End

If I ever were to, it'd probably be that O Minister one or whatever you call it for analytical study reasons
Last edited by Fat Lard at Mar 31, 2016,
I don't think your descriptions of each style are that accurate tbh, but I guess based on that, I probably watch more "American style"
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Since you can't refrain from making baseless personal attacks on me, I'm requesting you not refer to me by my first name ever again. Thanks.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Since you can't refrain from making baseless personal attacks on me, I'm requesting you not refer to me by my first name ever again. Thanks.
ETR is shorter to type than Lyle anyways.
Quote by SGstriker

Quote by EndTheRapture51

nah
Why are you always bickering
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I prefer Fawlty Towers type TV
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33903440
Have you met Lyle?

This would be a good title for a sitcom. British or American, I don't really care.
I don't even think I watch an American show that has more than 10-12 episodes a season besides Bob's Burgers

not everything is a dumb basic cable show

Like seriously thinking of seasons I've watched in the last year or so; Fargo, It's Always Sunny, Archer, Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Better Call Saul, Bojack Horseman, Kimmy Schmidt, Legend of Korra, South Park, People vs OJ Simpson, Comedy Bang Bang, none are how you describe
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 31, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

what did i miss that made you this salty?

anyway all british tv sucks
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by guitarxo
I don't care about format, I care about the content
Correct

and leave my honey alone, ali. Stop being a penis sausage
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
^correct opinion

any leave my honey alone, ali. Stop being a penis sausage

lemme

think

'bout it
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
This would be a good title for a sitcom. British or American, I don't really care.

Love it

Quote by Weaponized
USA: great original shows like The Office, Wilfred, American Idol

Britain: Peppa Pig

pls tell me you are kidding

I enjoy both depending on acting merits, content and production values etc.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Would you rather have a penis sausage or a sausage penis?
I'm partial to a pork sword
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by sam b

I don't think I've ever seen an American anything I've enjoyed.
Now we just need theo to come in and say how she doesn't think she's ever seen an animated anything she's enjoyed and the trifecta will be complete.

Quote by Weaponized
USA: great original shows like Wilfred
Wilfred isn't an American original though. It was adapted from the Australian show of the same name. But I agree, it is a great show.
Quote by SGstriker

Quote by Joshua Garcia
Now we just need theo to come in and say how she doesn't think she's ever seen an animated anything she's enjoyed and the trifecta will be complete.

Theo hasn't seen anything she's enjoyed full stop.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by Joshua Garcia

Wilfred isn't an American original though. It was adapted from the Australian show of the same name. But I agree, it is a great show.

The Office US was also adapted from The Office UK

And American Idol from Pop Idol

guys that was the joke
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

it's too bad that America can't appropriate good British television eh
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Page 1 of 2