Hello, i'm thinking about upgrading my amp soon (Blackstar ID:30) i can't seem to get the tones i want from it (although this might be down to me not playing with the amp enough) i'm looking for a Def Leppard style tone (80s Classic Rock in general) with the ability to do heavier stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden etc.

Anyway my situation is that i'll be mainly a 'Bedroom player' however i will occasionally be jamming with other people and might be joining a band soon so i'm just wondering whether i should just stick with a SS amp and then buy a tube if i decide to join a band or just get a low wattage tube amp (like 15 watts)

I'm not looking for prices i'm only looking at pro's and con's of each but i'm def not gonna be spending anymore than £800 if/when i do get another amp
I would say move on up to a tube amp. The tone you get will likely be much more inspiring and you will not grow out of it as quick, if at all.

Looking at your genres, I think you can find a solid Marshall in your budget. Are you okay with a head/cabinet setup, instead of a combo?
Quote by Tcrumpen
Hello, i'm thinking about upgrading my amp soon (Blackstar ID:30) i can't seem to get the tones i want from it (although this might be down to me not playing with the amp enough) i'm looking for a Def Leppard style tone (80s Classic Rock in general) with the ability to do heavier stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden etc.

Anyway my situation is that i'll be mainly a 'Bedroom player' however i will occasionally be jamming with other people and might be joining a band soon so i'm just wondering whether i should just stick with a SS amp and then buy a tube if i decide to join a band or just get a low wattage tube amp (like 15 watts)

I'm not looking for prices i'm only looking at pro's and con's of each but i'm def not gonna be spending anymore than £800 if/when i do get another amp

Hybrid's are terrible and really are a gimmick - placing one or two tubes in an amp does absolutely nothing. I owned a Tubeworks Hybrid amp for years and it was atrocious compared to even a low level all tube amp.

If you're going to be joining a band just get a decent tube amp. For that budget you have a lot of options. I would suggest getting a small mesa boogie combo ( 30 watts is way more than enough) because they have great cleans, great driven and heavy tones and an amazing reverb. They also sound good at low volumes, so you can actually get decent tones in your bedroom.
Depends on the hybrid. Not all "place one or two tubes in an amp." It's not unusual to have a solid state preamp mated to an all-tube power section (and vice versa).

If you really believe that your issues with your current amp are down to your not playing with your amp enough, simply buying another amp won't fix that.

That said, don't buy a tube amp based on wattage. A 15W amp won't shave volume enough to make it better for the bedroom; you still won't be able to crank it.
Jet City, Traynor, Orange... Some 20ish w tube amp with British voice to take you where you want to go.

I can't agree with the blanket statement by reverb66 on the hybrid. Some are crap and some are quite good. I have one that stands up rather well as a compliment to my Mesa and 64 Super Reverb. Just choose a hybrid carefully and make sure it meets your needs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 31, 2016,
how quietly do you have to play in your bedroom?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know if you can make blanket statements about each. I think you should pick your budget, come up with a few models of each, go and play them yourself, do research (ask questions about specific models, watch videos, etc), and pick the one you like the sound of (and can afford).
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I have an ID Core 10 and am capable of playing Metallica. I mean if you can spare the money certainly get a better amp but have you tried the online software for the amplifier? It's surprisingly versatile.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how quietly do you have to play in your bedroom?

Well as i live in a block of flats, would have to be fairly quiet
Maybe a good modeler like a POD HD and a pair of quality headphones would be better? Or some modeling software.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
+1 to getting a nice tube amp with your budget, genres and application.

You'll just have to turn it down while practicing at home. If you want something of the best of both worlds but not necessarily stellar in either category see if you can find a used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. You can def gig with one, it has an analog preamp (not digital) and it has a handly little thing called a headphone jack (which most tube powered amps won't have).

Quote by reverb66
Hybrid's are terrible and really are a gimmick - placing one or two tubes in an amp does absolutely nothing. I owned a Tubeworks Hybrid amp for years and it was atrocious compared to even a low level all tube amp.

I can't disagree more. I know nothing about the Tubeworks Hybrid but my Vypyr 60 will smoke most amps that are twice the price. I got mine for $300. I do agree with the rest of your post about a 30w Mesa.

Quote by dementiacaptain
Maybe a good modeler like a POD HD and a pair of quality headphones would be better? Or some modeling software.

Great idea except he did say he occasionally jams with others and may be joining a band soon. He could obviously get some powered speakers though etc etc.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 31, 2016,
MusicMan was famous for Hybrid amps, my RD50 had a FET op-amp input coupled to a tube poweramp. Good little amp.
On the IDTVP30 you should be able to get pristine clean to ridiculous OD. As far as tone goes the TVP character really doesn't come into play until the amp is cranked a bit (I have the 15 & 60W versions so I know a little about these amps). Are you using the USB port and Insider SW for it to access all the controls? Have you looked online on the forum for some patches you could use from others? The TVP will let that amp sound like many different tube amps instead of buying a single tube amp and getting stuck with one sound. Also the amp is touch sensitive (rolling back volume will clean up the tone or playing harder/softer will as well) so I think it would take a OD pedal fine.
Moving on.....
Tubes Hybrids
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Great idea except he did say he occasionally jams with others and may be joining a band soon. He could obviously get some powered speakers though etc etc.

Good call, missed that
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You'll just have to turn it down while practicing at home. If you want something of the best of both worlds but not necessarily stellar in either category see if you can find a used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. You can def gig with one, it has an analog preamp (not digital) and it has a handly little thing called a headphone jack (which most tube powered amps won't have).
The Vypyr 60 most definitely has a digital preamp. It's a 32bit SHARC DSP. The confusion is that Peavy uses language that implies the distortion is generated in analog circuitry. But even then with my Vypyr 15 I felt like the mid gain distortions seemed to have that digital fizz. I was impressed with the cleans and high gain tones.
Quote by fly135
The Vypyr 60 most definitely has a digital preamp. It's a 32bit SHARC DSP. The confusion is that Peavy uses language that implies the distortion is generated in analog circuitry. But even then with my Vypyr 15 I felt like the mid gain distortions seemed to have that digital fizz. I was impressed with the cleans and high gain tones.

You know I respect your opinion fly135 and you are more technical than I. The amp certainly has digital components. I have dove into this countless times and I still come back with the same answer as it relates to the preamp. The amp modelling is analog. It is based on Transtube technology not SHARC technology. I'm pretty sure the SHARC 32 bit floating chip blah bla blah is there for the rack (time based) effects, tuner, looper, the controls and memory needed to recall settings, etc.

Obviously, I can point to the multitude of places on Peavey's site and others where it spells out 'true analog preamp distortion' but you are already aware of that. Maybe it is a straight up lie.

Here is the one thing I could find from a non-Peavey site (meaning they don't sell Peavey or Vypyrs as I was looking for a neutral non-biased opinion. I'll keep looking but this is what I know and believe:

"Good point, shredder. I have to say, though - the Vypyr has many advantages over a SpiderValve, and one of the major ones is that the preamp is mostly analog. Using analog preamp circuitry (TransTube) pretty much gets rid of digital aliasing and allows the use of a more open high-end, while also providing a more authentic feel and MUCH better in-between tones. That also allows the DSP to spend its time on what it's good at - EQ, cab modeling, effects, tuner, etc. It has a 32-bit floating point SHARC that isn't bogged with a bunch of tube modeling.

I would put a solid-state Vypyr (TransTube power amp) against a SpiderValve any day. The tube models will push it even further."
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You know I respect your opinion fly135 and you are more technical than I. The amp certainly has digital components. I have dove into this countless times and I still come back with the same answer as it relates to the preamp. The amp modelling is analog. It is based on Transtube technology not SHARC technology. I'm pretty sure the SHARC 32 bit floating chip blah bla blah is there for the rack (time based) effects, tuner, looper, the controls and memory needed to recall settings, etc.
Yes, I agree that the Transtube tech is analog, and no I don't think they are lying. So I really can't argue that the preamp simulation isn't analog. It's hard to know explicitly what is and isn't analog in the preamp, as in the all the circuitry before it hit's the amp. So maybe I'm just splitting hairs over the terminology.
DSL40C. It is loud. Great for a band scenario. It has a usable clean channel which makes the amp versatile and this amp is within your budget. I am able to use it at home for practising even though I prefer Fender HRD for my style.
Hard call, but I personally would go clean tube plus analog pedals, forget the modelling gizmos.

Re the hybrid question. My H&K St Dual El84 is tube pre and power amp, but it has a lot of SS in front of the preamp. I'm currently using it as a hybrid by running SS preamp (Sansamp Character British) into the FX Return, and I like it more than the H&K preamp.