Hi,
I've recently acquired this Morris guitar but I can't find anything about it on the internet. Loads of stuff on Morris acoustics but almost nothing on electrics, so I'm hoping there's an expert out there who can tell me all! I've seen that it was made in Japan in the late 70s/early 80s but little more. I have yet to clean and restring it, but it plays well and sounds superb. Anyone?
Thanks.
Attachments:
20160331_110631small.jpg
20160331_110645small.jpg
Those photos are VERY small and difficult to make out.

It's a Morris Moridaira guitar (curved tailpiece?). Moridaira made guitars under its own brand and for other brands (Hohner, for example), and most of those that I've seen still around seem to be in Germany. The brand itself disappeared for a while and resurfaced in the early 2000's. As you've discovered, the internet isn't the font of all knowledge and it may take sending a very clear photo or two (larger) to the company itself, where they *may* have someone who knows where the old print catalogs are archived.
Yeh, first they were too big, then a bit too big, then too small.

I've now cleaned it and put new strings on it and it's superb. It has a couple of small dings on it (hardly surprising for a 35+ year old!) but the original pups and pots still work well. I reckon it's worth a lot more than I paid for it, but it's a keeper.
Could be, though if I'm being honest I'd never heard of Morris before this thread, and judging from the responses here neither has anyone else. Still, a good guitar is a good guitar and that isn't always indicated by selling price.

It looks pretty cool from the picks, glad you like it!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Could be, though if I'm being honest I'd never heard of Morris before this thread, and judging from the responses here neither has anyone else. Still, a good guitar is a good guitar and that isn't always indicated by selling price.

It looks pretty cool from the picks, glad you like it!

well, i hadn't heard of the electrics.

i can vouch first hand for their acoustics. i've had mine for about two years now.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
That's a good looking guitar!
I've tried to put up a decent sized photo of the cleaned up guitar but I've given up. The attachment manager showed pics up to 200kb were ok, but when I tried to post one of 197kb, it then said the max is 97.7kb
It's easier to upload your pics to a pic hosting site like imgur and then post a link
Quote by GlynMo
Yeh, first they were too big, then a bit too big, then too small.

I've now cleaned it and put new strings on it and it's superb. It has a couple of small dings on it (hardly surprising for a 35+ year old!) but the original pups and pots still work well. I reckon it's worth a lot more than I paid for it, but it's a keeper.

old/uncommon doesn't mean much for value. You like it, enjoy it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dementiacaptain
That's a good looking guitar!

thanks! it's seriously one of the best acoustics i've every played. i'm very lucky to own this one.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Is that tailpiece bent down on the high strings? That's crazy.
It's an early 80s Morris Global Sound.

Made in Nagano Japan, neck through and gotoh hardware IIRC. The tailpiece is supposed to be bent like that.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's an early 80s Morris Global Sound.

Made in Nagano Japan, neck through and gotoh hardware IIRC. The tailpiece is supposed to be bent like that.

Hardware looks like Gotoh but nothing written on them. Bolt on neck btw.
Quote by GlynMo at #33910845
Hardware looks like Gotoh but nothing written on them. Bolt on neck btw.

They had bolt-on models too. They're made to look like a neck through model.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.