Hey guys, I have a JCM2000 DSL100 that's served me well, I recently got all new EL34s in it and everything touched up so I could trade or sell it. A guy traded me for his JCM900 SLX and I loved it. He texted me this morning that the shop I took it to must not have fixed it correctly, because he thinks I have a blown transformer. First of all how could one tell? He's a knowledgeable guy but I certainly didn't *hear* anything suspicious in my amp. So if indeed it is blown how bad is this and how much would I be looking at for a repair?(Side note being that I asked the shop I took it to to inspect it and fix everything, would it be reasonable of me to ask they chic it without extra cost?)
First of all, YOU don't have a blown transformer, HE does. If he checked it out and it was working when he got it, Caveat Emptor. (Unless you had a different understanding with him.)

Which transformer, power or output?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
First of all, YOU don't have a blown transformer, HE does. If he checked it out and it was working when he got it, Caveat Emptor. (Unless you had a different understanding with him.)

Which transformer, power or output?

I'm liking this comment. You really don't know what he's done with the amp ("oops, guess I should have plugged in the speaker," "Oops, guess I shouldn't have used a guitar cable to connect the head to the speaker," etc.).
Yeah, I get wanting to be a good guy, but if it IS a blown transformer that is going to be a LOT of money to fix. If it worked when you traded it, it's his problem.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
x2 , he needs a new transformer .... who knows what he did , if it was working when you traded then you are done
As mentioned, it's his problem. It's one of the reasons why I don't let anything leave without people having tested it. Once they're off, it's their stuff and their problem. For all you know, he took a speed bump at 60km/hr and just wants to screw you over.
+1 to all of this.

I trade...a lot. I always know my gear is working prior to trading and thankfully haven't encountered too many problems related to trading when dealing with amps. Normally people are pretty stand up when it comes to being upfront with any issues. If it worked for you and you're honest about that, and now it doesn't for him, then unfortunately its not your problem.

I get the desire and need to be a good guy, but would you expect him to fork over the dough if there was something wrong with the amp he gave you? Granted you'd be pissed, but ultimately the deal has been done.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thanks all. It WAS absolutely working when I traded it, I can't understand how he would've blown it, I watched him play it in my house and he didn't notice anything. Would a blown transformer be a clear, audible problem? I don't know which one he thinks has gone bad but he's adamant that's the problem, surely that would be a MAJOR issue?
Depends on what is going on. He could be over blowing the situation. It could be something as minor as a blown fuse. I did that to my Orange. I was switching between heads and forgot to attach it to a load only for a split second or two and it blew a fuse. Cheap and easy fix.

Has he given you any hint/indication as to why he thinks its a transformer?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by daqpowell
Thanks all. It WAS absolutely working when I traded it, I can't understand how he would've blown it, I watched him play it in my house and he didn't notice anything. Would a blown transformer be a clear, audible problem? I don't know which one he thinks has gone bad but he's adamant that's the problem, surely that would be a MAJOR issue?

The total silence would be a pretty good clue...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It's a little suspicious that he knows that it's the transformer. Perhaps he took the thing apart to make sure it wasn't the power switch, the tubes, a broken wire, or a fuse, but that seems less likely than that he forgot to plug a cab in and now it won't make any sound. Usually you can't say for sure that the transformer is blown without either doing some diagnostics or actively causing it to blow.

If he played it and paid for it, I'd refer him to the shop that did the work.
Quote by daqpowell

Transformers don't gradually go bad, they fail pretty catastrophically, so if the amp was working fine when you had it then it is HIGHLY unlikely that you did anything to cause the issue and that this is your fault.

I'm with Roc, it's pretty hard to say it is definitely the transformer unless YOU were the one that caused it. I'm thinking that it is one of two things here:

A.) This guy doesn't know what he is talking about and is freaking out after a quick Google search about what is most likely a simple fix.

B.) This guy knows EXACTLY what he is talking about and he did something like forget to plug in the amp to a cab and now he has a big paperweight on his hands.

Either way, not your problem. He can be sore about the fact that his new amp is toast, but that doesn't change the fact that you are not liable in ANY way. Hell, even if it was your fault, I imagine that you didn't sign a contract or legally binding document. If it were me I'd tell them that sucks, and recommend him somewhere to take it, and if he wanted to be a dick, then kindly tell him to "fuck off."
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'm with these guys. Not your issue. I know you want a clean transaction and don't want any misgivings but rest your mind. Link him to this thread if things go south so you can backup your side of the deal. We support you.

Quote by daqpowell
Thanks all. It WAS absolutely working when I traded it, I can't understand how he would've blown it, I watched him play it in my house and he didn't notice anything.

There is your answer right there. He played it, liked it and bought it. End of story.
All sales are final. That's assumed on Craigslist and I'd imagine most other classifieds type listings. Unless otherwise stated in your original agreement, I think you're safe to say 'not my problem.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by dementiacaptain
If it were me I'd tell them that sucks, and recommend him somewhere to take it, and if he wanted to be a dick, then kindly tell him to "fuck off."

This. I'd be nice first and try to give some advice. If he implied that I was obligated to give more than advice I'd tell him there was no implied warranty and he had the chance to try before buying. If he continued to push, I'd tell him to take a hike.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
When my Output Transformer went, the tubes still like up, kinda hot actually, and if i was LUCKY i might squeak some signal out. If you know a good tech, anybody not jsut you of course, you might be able to score a deal. i remember I got new tubes, an installation, a pristine OT from a 5150, and an install for $200. and i bought the amp for 220. great deal!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
When my Output Transformer went, the tubes still like up, kinda hot actually, and if i was LUCKY i might squeak some signal out. If you know a good tech, anybody not jsut you of course, you might be able to score a deal. i remember I got new tubes, an installation, a pristine OT from a 5150, and an install for $200. and i bought the amp for 220. great deal!

He sold it to someone else and then this problem suddenly arose.

And holy crap when did you get a Street Rod. Never mind, I found your thread
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 31, 2016,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
He sold it to someone else and then this problem suddenly arose.

And holy crap when did you get a Street Rod. Never mind, I found your thread

I am QUITE the fan of the Street Rod. It's my pride and joy
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Okay all, I have some updates since communicating with the guy.
The transformer (power) isn't BLOWN, it's just making noise and hotter than normal (sometimes). *eyeroll*. When you turn it on, it's making a fairly loud sound physically, not one that comes out when playing (duh), but it's a loud buzzing like an industrial transformer would make. Upon further inspection, one of the connectors to the transformer that WAS a quick-connect is now a poorly-done soldering job. Could this be causing the strange noise? It's scared off two buyers now and I'm quite frustrated. The amp works bloody fine, checked the bias of the tubes, gave everything a peak but I haven't a clue as to WHY this transformer is suddenly making such a racket.

I eagerly await your wisdom, O Forum Wizards.
Loud 60hz buzzing could be the filter caps on the power supply. Of course that's just one possibility. Another could be cracked solder joint where the pots connect to the main board. Not sure how you know it's hotter than usual. Did you really pay a lot of attention to how hot it was when running properly?
Quote by daqpowell
Okay all, I have some updates since communicating with the guy.
The transformer (power) isn't BLOWN, it's just making noise and hotter than normal (sometimes). *eyeroll*. When you turn it on, it's making a fairly loud sound physically, not one that comes out when playing (duh), but it's a loud buzzing like an industrial transformer would make. Upon further inspection, one of the connectors to the transformer that WAS a quick-connect is now a poorly-done soldering job. Could this be causing the strange noise? It's scared off two buyers now and I'm quite frustrated. The amp works bloody fine, checked the bias of the tubes, gave everything a peak but I haven't a clue as to WHY this transformer is suddenly making such a racket.

I eagerly await your wisdom, O Forum Wizards.

I'm confused here. Is this what he is saying, or did you take the amp back, or did you go to his place and look at it? Did he bring it to your place to look it over? All of these things matter. Also: The last thing I would do in this situation is take back my old amp after some jack off junked it.

DSL amps have known to have all kinds of questionable soldering in them, earlier ones are worse than newer ones.

Amps make noises. Some of my amps make noises. Nothing wrong with them, just dirty power and dimmer switches in the house. Certain amps pick up these things, usually higher gain amps.

If you took back your old amp, and it's all wonked out when it wasn't before... take it to a tech. That way you might get an explanation as to what may have happened to it - if there was user error involved or not. The more you mess with it, the more likely you are to just frustrate yourself and muck it up even worse than before.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
So is the transformer racket after you sold it to the guy, in other words you don't remember that happening when it was in your possession?
I don't know what to tell you, there's no saying what it could be, most likely he did some damage to it and is trying to write it off as defective amp that you sold him, if it didn't do that before, that is.
Quote by fly135
Loud 60hz buzzing could be the filter caps on the power supply. Of course that's just one possibility. Another could be cracked solder joint where the pots connect to the main board. Not sure how you know it's hotter than usual. Did you really pay a lot of attention to how hot it was when running properly?

Dead filter caps cause 120Hz hum, not 60.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Dead filter caps cause 120Hz hum, not 60.

Indeed, good catch.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Does the transformer itself vibrate?

The power transformer on my '77 Ampeg VT-40 gets quite hot, never thought too much of it. Is he running an overdrive into it?
..I was watching my death.
DSL's made prior to 2003 overheated due to an underrated bridge rectifier. It needs a bigger one with a heatsink. $2 to $5 in parts and a fairly easy job really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification