I had a real cheap set of headphones which i have just snapped so i'm finally going to get something worth while for practicing quietly.

I'm looking to spend under $100/£80.
i'd like closed back if possible for minimum noise
i play rhcp, radiohead, muse, ratm etc

Audio technica ATH m40x http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459029039&sr=8-1&keywords=ath+m40

SONY PRO MDR7506 http://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-PRO-MDR7506-Headphones-closed/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459028898&sr=1-3&keywords=sony+mdr

AKG K240 MKII http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K240-MKII-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0016MNBAM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459028962&sr=1-1&keywords=akg+k240

any advice?
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Any of those three will work very well. The Sonys fold to a pretty compact size. The AKG 240s I have will allow you to exchange cords (short cord, long cord, coil cord, etc.), and the M40s are on par with the other two. Two more that I can lump in there include the Sennheiser 280 series and the BeyerDynamic 770s.

Note that some of these cover the ear but do not surround it. That may make a difference to you in eliminating more outside sound OR you may find that developing "sweaty ear" is an issue <G>.

I'm comfortable with any of them, but I alternate between the Sonys and the AKGs.
Quote by dspellman
Any of those three will work very well. The Sonys fold to a pretty compact size. The AKG 240s I have will allow you to exchange cords (short cord, long cord, coil cord, etc.), and the M40s are on par with the other two. Two more that I can lump in there include the Sennheiser 280 series and the BeyerDynamic 770s.

Note that some of these cover the ear but do not surround it. That may make a difference to you in eliminating more outside sound OR you may find that developing "sweaty ear" is an issue <G>.

I'm comfortable with any of them, but I alternate between the Sonys and the AKGs.

can you make a comment on the sound of those headphones compared? low end? mids? high? how are they for listening to music
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
I have the AKG K240 Studio which I think are very similar to the MKII. I do not think the drivers are different, just a few small things like the pads. Not sure though.

The Studio are really crisp and clear, but the sub-bass response is not too strong. It is not that everything sounds thin, but that you shouldn't expect to get Beats-level bass out of them (and don't get Beats, by the way). For practicing guitar though, reference, and mixing (with another reference medium for the sub response), I think they have a great response relative to their price.

However if you are wanting isolation, the K240 MKII or the Studio are not completely isolated. You get a reasonable amount of noise cut out from the outside, and the music from the headphones does not leak out too bad, but you are not getting dead-quiet isolation.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 31, 2016,
The Sony MDR 7506 are a proven durable design! They're comfortable, sound great and fold compactly. Includes convenient carry case and 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. They have been used for decades by Pros and Consumers alike, live, in the studio, at home and on the road. The MDR V6 are nearly identical. They are often available for as low as $50 USD. They travel quite well and the foam ear pads and cushions are readily available at low cost. They do take some time to break in and smooth out. They do not suffer from an unnaturally boosted bottom end.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Quote by MusicLaw
The Sony MDR 7506 are a proven durable design! They're comfortable, sound great and fold compactly. Includes convenient carry case and 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. They have been used for decades by Pros and Consumers alike, live, in the studio, at home and on the road. The MDR V6 are nearly identical. They are often available for as low as $50 USD. They travel quite well and the foam ear pads and cushions are readily available at low cost. They do take some time to break in and smooth out. They do not suffer from an unnaturally boosted bottom end.

Not that I think you are but you came off as a salesman there, and a good one.

TS, I have the old K240s, they are pretty sweet. As mentioned, you are not completely isolated, but you get good clear sound. I use mine for practicing and they work very well.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
the sonys are a staple in the music/film industry, cant go wrong there.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by dementiacaptain
Not that I think you are but you came off as a salesman there, and a good one.

TS, I have the old K240s, they are pretty sweet. As mentioned, you are not completely isolated, but you get good clear sound. I use mine for practicing and they work very well.
Thanks, man! Just tossing out the facts.

I've used lots of headphones over the years: Sony, Koss, AKG, Sennheiser, Clark Davis, Heil, Bose Beats, and lots more.... Also, several top end IEMs. The Sony's MDR-7506/V6 are rock solid!
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Any of the five mentioned are studio staples, and will give you good clean response without a lot of coloration. I would pick any of them for recording and practice.

I'd avoid anything like Beats that give you boosted bass response.
I have a set of the AKG 240s, but I like the 7506s as well. The Sonys sit on your ear rather than over it, and they fold up pretty small. The AKGs do a better job of getting rid of ambient sound and mine allow me to plug in either coil or straight cables. Sound-wise, you're good with either one. Both (along with BeyerDynamic 770's and Sennheiser 280s) are staples of the recording industry.