Hey everyone,

I just recently bought new pickups and I've never replaced pickups before. My 7 string is RG series 7421 fixed bridge, two pickups. I bought a Dimarzio Evolution 7 for the bridge and Ionizer for the neck pickup. The instructions are fairly simply. Black and white wire go together, tape it off and solder to the toggle. Green and bare wire is grounded to a pot and the red wire goes to the toggle as well.

Now the question is, when I opened up the guitar to see how it was set up I see two different configurations. The toggle switch has about 8 extensions to solder things on to. One pickup is set up exactly how I described above, however the other is different. The black and white wire are not together, they're both soldered onto the toggle in different locations and do not connect. Then the red wire ALSO connects to the toggle and the green/blue wire attaches to a pot.

Is there any reason for this? As far as I'm concerned from reading the instructions, sometimes if the pickups don't sound good together you reverse the wiring and that works some magic. If I solder both pickups the way it's described with the Dimarzio instructions, as long as it sounds right I'm not going to have any issues am I?

Just wanted some clarification before I start the task. I'm not super experienced with soldering and would like to NOT have to repeat this task multiple times cuz it failed. Thanks for the help!
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Don't think you should have any issues. It could also be the fact that different pickup companies use different colored wires.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Yea, I'm not worried about the colors of the wires just that I know they did something different with one wiring configuration than the other. I'll work on it today and we'll see what happens!
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
You should be fine. Follow the DiMarzio instructions for the pickups. Don't worry so much about what the stock pickups were wired to. You should be removing them completely anyway.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
sounds like the auto split mod done to the ibanez in the factory; with two pickups I highly recommend it with three it's not noticeable in my eyes. it gives position 2/4 coilsplitting sounds. However if 60 cycle hum from isolating a humbucker coil will drive you to drink. If you liked the factory sounds replicate the wiring , but if you want your guitar to go to the next level in terms of sounds you'll probably like more keep reading.

I suggest the fender showmaster wiring , it has no buzzing, you've got the right switch and it's 5 very distinct tones. Sure it's a little harder to do but worth it. Two tips use heat shrink tubing and #2 get the right color code off of guitarelectronics.com as fenders color code won't get you all 5 sounds. I use seymour duncan in all my diagrams as I learned most of what I did from their page to the point I do revised diagrams for guys on here. I've used this on ESP and all sorts of other guitars and it's the best non-super 5 way switch wiring you can do without getting push pulls installed

for the 5 way blade this will help when it comes to diagrams, I actually like import 5 way blades more than USA ones as the inline is easier to create jumpers and all for. Plus you can ground wires on the switch. Anyways , any diagram you see this will help you "translate it" , oddly enough the last guitar I put this in has a dimarzio evolution bridge pickup and breed bridge pickups in the guitar , the breed being in the bridge as it was 16k instead of 13. It made this harness below really shine.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Mar 31, 2016,
The 7421 has a special 5 way switch that includes a neck parallel and a split option, that's why the wiring is weird. I upgraded the pickups in mine, then ended up putting the stock ones back in. I apparently drew out the diagram for the stock wiring wrong and never figured out how to wire up the switch normally again. It's currently wired kinda backwards (bridge pickup activated in the neck pickup position on the switch etc.) with a parallel bridge instead of neck. I ended up keeping it that way since I'd rather have a parallel bridge.

So yea, just make sure to draw out a correct diagram for the stock wiring and use it as a reference to install the new ones.
Alright guys,

So I've done something right and I've done something wrong. I wired it up exactly to how the stock pickups were wired. Plugged it in and she works, very nice pickups going from an EMG81/85 set up on my 6 string. I've never had such clarity from a neck pickup while keeping other string buzz to a minimum. The evolution is clearer than I've ever had while still packing a huge punch at the bridge.

Problems I'm having is the 5 way toggle switch seems to be reversed? The neck sounds like bridge and bridge is neck. The 5 way sounds great and unique in all 5 locations. Not a biggie

My tone knob on the other hand seems to do very little if nothing at all (normal?). Volume is fine and acts how it should.

Let me know what you all think. I have an import 5 way toggle just like the chart above. Here is a picture of the stock pickup wiring and mine pretty much looks the same (just a bit messier). The neck pickup uses the usual method of black and white together, soldered that to where the black and white is in the picture. Red is the hot wire that goes to the far right and green/bare go to the pot. For the bridge I kept the white and black seperated and gave them their own spots. Green went where the blue wire is in the picture and I used the red and bare this time to ground to the pot.

(Invalid img)
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Last edited by Xerosnake90 at Apr 3, 2016,
Is one of the terminals on the tone pot touching the side of the guitar at all? That can short it. Or is there a connection anywhere on it that came loose?