I've been going to guitar center recently to try amps. One amp I've been looking at is the DSL40c. Now, I've heard great things about this amp. It is versatile, and has lots of potential for finding different tones. Ive seen videos where the gain channel is exactly what i want it to sound like. However, when ever I play on the OD channels, i find somethings missing. I dont know if its the particular amp on the floor, or if im not setting it up right, but I dont think the OD channel is not that great. I have a VS100 combo, and the distortion on their is what im looking for, so it makes sense a fully tube amp would satisfy my wants. Is it just that the amp on the floor is bad, or am i looking in the wrong place? thank you.

EDIT: The tone that i DO not like in the particular amp is that the gain sounds way too bassy, and muddy. im thinking its a speaker problem with the amp, but i still am not sure.
Last edited by kimowesome at Mar 31, 2016,
Tubes, speakers, boosts, etc make a HUGE difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It could be any number of factors.

It might be that you weren't cranking it up enough to get the full gusto of the amp. It could be the stock speaker. It might be that you didn't spend enough time playing with the E.Q. Not all amps tweak the same. Maybe the tubes have some wear and tear on them - music stores don't make it a habit to check the tubes on the demo floor models. It might just be that you don't like it. And that's okay. Just because it is a Marshall tube amp, that doesn't mean you have to like it.

If you like how your VS100 amp sounds, why are you trying to get a different amp? I won't pretend that I care for the tone of Marshall VS series amps, but that is my preference, not yours.

My recommendation would be this - don't try to find a different amp to sound like the amp you already have. If you're going to buy another amp, get one that sounds different. There is a reason why I have a 6505 and a Vox AC30. Nothing wrong with keeping what you've got and getting something different for fun. No point in getting something different to sound the same as what you have.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Apr 1, 2016,
Quote by ThunderPunk

My recommendation would be this - don't try to find a different amp to sound like the amp you already have. If you're going to buy another amp, get one that sounds different. There is a reason why I have a 6505 and a Vox AC30. Nothing wrong with keeping what you've got and getting something different for fun. No point in getting something different to sound the same as what you have.

I second that notion, I have a 6505+ head with an Eminence equipped 4X12 it's great, about a year after I bought it I stumbled across a brand new Mesa Roadster 2X12 combo at GC on closeout for $1099

I love both amps they are definitely different monsters, my buddy has 3 50w 5150 III heads he wants to get another I don't get it
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Well the JCM2000 overall are kinda bland but take well to anything you want to do with them. In this case, to reach that distortion you'd need a treble booster/od in front or just a hot output guitar. It could also be that it needs to be "CRANKED", as most Marshall sound best at 11.
Well two things could be happening

1. The dsl40c is not that impressive of an amp. It's 700 dollar amp with a lot of features that's built to a price point. Once you factor in the Marshall brand name surcharge you are not buying a lot of amp. That being said, it's not a bad amp. It's neither the best nor worst amp in its price range and if you need a channel switching amp with lots of bells and whistles there aren't that many other options. I wasn't that impressed with the high gain channel on the ones I played.

or

2. Is the vs100 the valvestate 100? That's the high gain tone you are looking to replicate? That amp is just awful. So bad. Asking a valve amp to do that is like charlize theron in monster. Just being ugly on purpose. Your ears might just be awful.

So ya. either or.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I own one, for the price its a fantastic value. That said, you have to like that "Marshall" sound. Though a speaker swap is not required, they went cheap on the speaker that would be the key upgrade/change. I upgraded tubes just because i had some better ones around and biased a bit hotter than stock.

It is a great blues, crunch rock amp. LOUD, great effects loop.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Quote by Dazzl1113
I own one, for the price its a fantastic value. That said, you have to like that "Marshall" sound. Though a speaker swap is not required, they went cheap on the speaker that would be the key upgrade/change. I upgraded tubes just because i had some better ones around and biased a bit hotter than stock.

It is a great blues, crunch rock amp. LOUD, great effects loop.

Agree, I really like the classic gain channel on the DSL40c, not so much the ultra gain channel.

TS, it may be the tone shift button on the DSL40c, or the resonance. I would turn both off and start from there.

Also, not sure you can do this at guitar center, but would try the ultra gain at channel with the gain at 3 or 4, with the volume pushed, that may replicate more of the gain on the valvestate. It has been a long time since I tried a VS, think it was the VS50, but I don't remember it being especially high gain.
Ive got a dsl 40c as well. I agree it sort of sounds a bit muddy. The crunch is good though. I use my Boss ME80 for its amp models into the clean channel of the dsl. I can honestly say all of the amp models sound better that the dsl's OD in an AB comparison. Of course the amp models are modified by the dsl's clean channel.