Hi there! I have a jackson JS32 V, but I don't really like the stock pickups. They aren't heavy enough for me, as I love a good super heavy metal sound as opposed to the lighter tone I have. A lot of people say it's the amp that does most of the work but I feel like I'm still a bit limited by my tone. I was looking at Bill lawrence L500XLs, Seymour Duncan SH8 invaders, and EMG 81s. I'm not really sure which pickups to buy at this point, but I'd like a tone similar or as heavy as Dime's, Wes Borland's (Limp Bizkit), or Metallica's in their early years.

Thanks!
Get some Dragonfire crusaders , invader clones sound amazing for the price.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by adexder
Hi there! I have a jackson JS32 V, but I don't really like the stock pickups. They aren't heavy enough for me, as I love a good super heavy metal sound as opposed to the lighter tone I have. A lot of people say it's the amp that does most of the work but I feel like I'm still a bit limited by my tone. I was looking at Bill lawrence L500XLs, Seymour Duncan SH8 invaders, and EMG 81s. I'm not really sure which pickups to buy at this point, but I'd like a tone similar or as heavy as Dime's, Wes Borland's (Limp Bizkit), or Metallica's in their early years.

Thanks!

Good ol Super Distortions would probably be a good place to start imo.
Proper amp first with a good boost pedal in front. That is the source of "heavy" tone. Pickups add subtle shading.

Amp = 50% of heavy tone
PUs = 2% of heavy tone
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by WeZ-84
Out of interest, what amp are you using at the moment?

I'm actually not using an amp, I'm modelling amps using my computer, but I'm planning on getting a Peavey 6505 head and a Marshall 1960a cab
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A pick ups out put on a modeller surely will make hardly any difference at all. The sound from a modeller is all processed anyways?

If you are getting a 6505 I imagine that you will easily get the heaviness you are after without a pickup change. Can only imagine a changing them at the moment will be a waste of moneys!
The Invaders won't sound anything like Dime or early Metallica, as they have such huge mids. You might look at the Dimebucker, El Diablo, and Alternative 8 for those sounds.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
The Invaders won't sound anything like Dime or early Metallica, as they have such huge mids. You might look at the Dimebucker, El Diablo, and Alternative 8 for those sounds.

I'm not exactly looking to replicate their tones, I'm just looking for something that can be as heavy. Also, I'm pretty sure I read that Metallica used invaders at some point, but I may be wrong
Well, there is heavy, and there is heavy with the wrong EQ for the sound you are going for. For instance, the Pegasus/Sentient set is really heavy, but it is way more modern sounding than old school thrash. Listen to some sound clips on YouTube, and you will be able to start narrowing it down.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
If you are using digital modeling it dosent matter if you use a 4k ohm single coil or a Duncan invader it makes zero difference because all of the sound is being created "digitally" and not analog....so all that really matters is there is something there to "pickup" the signal.....output is just a click of the mouse in this instance.

On a side note....i really like the Railhammer pickups the anvil and chisel are some really sweet sounding units.