Page 1 of 4
Anyone else into it? My old man was on a lobster boat for 40 years so I've always been fishing. Mostly trout, mackerel, salmon.

My wife and I have a big veggie/herb plot and i actually use a lot of the in season stuff in my restaurant.

Might get a deer and some rabbit once a year, not huge into hunting.

Anyone else? Or just tell me to fuck off if this is a shit thread. I'm new.
I hope to do all of those things in the future

I'd like to learn to live off the land for extended periods of time

what's best for such things; active hunting or lots of traps, etc?
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal

Drones.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Fuck off, this is a shit site.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
But yeah, we have a decent vegetable garden although I think most people here do. I tried fishing abut two times but then I hooked a kid by the skin on his skull and didn't attempt it since. Never actually caught a fish.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Banjocal

Nice. Guess it depends where you're located, what your're after, etc. If you're looking for small game, they're usually most active first thing in the morning and early in evening. Active hunting obviously doesn't leave time for anything else, meaning that that's your main focus for the day. A firearm is the most effective if you're comfortable with that...also if you have a dog or dogs and know how to run them, that's a huge help especially in bush or heavy cover terrain.
Trapping, snares are passive hunting and I'd think require real skill to effectively construct (unless you're going to buy them ) and know your area and signs. I've never trapped anything myself.

If you wanna know about fishing/gardening/bushcraft that's more my thing, like i said I'm not a huge hunter, but could give you a couple more tips.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
But yeah, we have a decent vegetable garden although I think most people here do. I tried fishing abut two times but then I hooked a kid by the skin on his skull and didn't attempt it since. Never actually caught a fish.

Cool, what do you grow?
I can't really do any of these things where I live now. If I move into a house instead of apartment then I would ddefinitely have a garden. I used to go fishing a lot as a kid but the fish around here aren't good for eating, just catching and releasing.
honestly I want a contingency for if I ever decide to live on my own in the woods

did you know that if you die in the National State Park there's a high chance you'll never be found

I'd prefer that to living in the city or in a big cosy house

but I'm also a coward and lack survival skills
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I live in a flat so my growing is limited to herbs and raspberries/strawberries on my balcony. Could fish if I wanted to but not enough to feed myself and I haven't really got the patience for it.

Never really wanted to go hunting.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

What am I, Hank Williams Jr? Actually, I don't think he can do half that stuff.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Used to grow vegetables, just tomatoes now
Fishing is fun but couldn't live off it around here
I used to know a shit load of people that hunted, used to get venison for jerky sometimes
If mum'd let dad have even a .22 we'd have loads of rabbit, probably for bolognaise.
Quote by theogonia777
What am I, Hank Williams Jr? Actually, I don't think he can do half that stuff.

was just wondering. Guess you need to grow up with it to have an appreciation for this kind of stuff. I know most people don't though, was just putting it out there.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Used to grow vegetables, just tomatoes now
Fishing is fun but couldn't live off it around here
I used to know a shit load of people that hunted, used to get venison for jerky sometimes
If mum'd let dad have even a .22 we'd have loads of rabbit, probably for bolognaise.

Cool man. Jerky is . Moose and Elk are excellent for it as well. Rabbit bolognaise is something we do in the restaurant, so that's cool. There's a huge amount of uses for the meat if you know how to prepare right.
Growing your own herbs is so much better than buying them from the store. I used to have a mini herb garden on my windowsill - unfortunately they all died in the winter, but it was nice while they were around.

My mom is hugely into gardening and she's got okra, papaya, mango, a couple types of chili peppers, ginger, and onion right now, in addition to herbs and spices. She also grows roses and uses the petals in some of her cooking.
cat
Quote by Banjocal

If you want your meat to not taste like shit active
Unless the trap kills instantly without warning, you're going to have squirming animals that pump adrenalin through their bodies and make them taste shit, comparatively of course.
Quote by Pastafarian96
If you want your meat to not taste like shit active
Unless the trap kills instantly without warning, you're going to have squirming animals that pump adrenalin through their bodies and make them taste shit, comparatively of course.

This guy knows his stuff
Quote by guitarxo
Growing your own herbs is so much better than buying them from the store. I used to have a mini herb garden on my windowsill - unfortunately they all died in the winter, but it was nice while they were around.

My mom is hugely into gardening and she's got okra, papaya, mango, a couple types of chili peppers, ginger, and onion right now, in addition to herbs and spices. She also grows roses and uses the petals in some of her cooking.

Very cool. We make a rose petal jam sometimes with non-treated plants. Water, lemon, sugar. Mix with plain organic yogurt. It's good, try it out
Quote by DigitalSea
This guy knows his stuff

Thank you
Growing up in very small country town around farmers and hunters you get to know this stuff pretty damn quick.
Also different methods
Like ferreting, oh boy is that interesting

Quote by DigitalSea
Very cool. We make a rose petal jam sometimes with non-treated plants. Water, lemon, sugar. Mix with plain organic yogurt. It's good, try it out

Rose petal jam is one of the greatest delights on Earth homemade even better
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Apr 1, 2016,
I make mulberry jam from a tree outside of my apartment. I just started microgreens, herbs, tomatoes, eggplant, and some grass for my cats indoors.
Quote by DigitalSea
Cool, what do you grow?

Tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, leek, parsley, mint. Lavender and rosemary from the seaside as well.

Sometimes also carrots. I think that's all.

We used to have strawberries and redcurrant but they were a pain in the ass so we got rid of them.

We also used to have two 70 year old apple trees, two pear trees, a plum tree and a cherry tree. Then two or three years ago there was a pretty huge freezing rain disaster and it rekked most of our trees, only one pear tree and the cherry tree survived but the latter refuses to produce fruit at all.

One grandma also has a grapevine and the other one sometimes grows rhubarb.

edit: Oh and since the apple trees didn't really give high quality apples anymore we sometimes had them made into rakija styled apple liquor by one of the local distillers. It was basically paint thinner but that's part of the allure.

edit: Ay, almost forgot we also have a fig tree by the seaside. However I don't like figs.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Apr 1, 2016,
I really want to grow my own fruit/veggies in the summer when I have the time, any advice/recommendations on what to start with?

I was thinking strawberries, and some runner beans/peas

also is there anything that can be grown indoors? that would be even more ideal as me and my dad still have a load of work to do on the garden, and trying to grow things while doing some fairly major landscaping doesn't sound like it'd go well
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Apr 1, 2016,
Quote by Bladez22
also is there anything that can be grown indoors?

ye i can think of a thing or two

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak at #33905876
ye i can think of a thing or two

I'm actually planning on growing some when I get my own home

but right now I'm limited to legal things. I have no idea what to start with though, something that I can keep on the windowsill and keep an eye on would be great, as I don't have that much space

I have a cactus that I've kept alive for almost a year now, but it is only a cactus, they don't need much. but it does need re-potting soon as its getting big lol
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
that reminds me i havent watered my cactus for months lol

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak at #33905885
that reminds me i havent watered my cactus for months lol

I watered mine last week, before that it had been about two months
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
lmao it's not even a bit brown, straight up doesn't give a shit

tfw you get emasculated by a cactus

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
im not sure about indoor things btw, i guess some peppers or some shit?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Bladez22
I really want to grow my own fruit/veggies in the summer when I have the time, any advice/recommendations on what to start with?

I was thinking strawberries, and some runner beans/peas

also is there anything that can be grown indoors? that would be even more ideal as me and my dad still have a load of work to do on the garden, and trying to grow things while doing some fairly major landscaping doesn't sound like it'd go well

Strawberries are super easy, careful though they can take over quickly.
Carrots, Lettuce, Beans, Cucumbers, Tomatoes are all really easy to grow. Cherry tomatoes are small and easy to contain. Be sure to plant basil with them, helps repel insects and can actually enhance the flavor of the tomatoes.
Cucumbers tend to take off really well with sunlight and warm temps, bush cuucmbers are best if you don't have a lot of room.
Most roots, like carrots and radishes are pretty hardy and will do will on their own until the fall.

Herbs are good for inside
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, leek, parsley, mint. Lavender and rosemary from the seaside as well.

Sometimes also carrots. I think that's all.

We used to have strawberries and redcurrant but they were a pain in the ass so we got rid of them.

We also used to have two 70 year old apple trees, two pear trees, a plum tree and a cherry tree. Then two or three years ago there was a pretty huge freezing rain disaster and it rekked most of our trees, only one pear tree and the cherry tree survived but the latter refuses to produce fruit at all.

One grandma also has a grapevine and the other one sometimes grows rhubarb.

edit: Oh and since the apple trees didn't really give high quality apples anymore we sometimes had them made into rakija styled apple liquor by one of the local distillers. It was basically paint thinner but that's part of the allure.

edit: Ay, almost forgot we also have a fig tree by the seaside. However I don't like figs.

Shit that's awesome man I'm jealous. We have some apple and cherry trees too, but the deer got all the fruit from them last year. Need to fence it in this summer I think.
Quote by JamSessionFreak at #33905891
lmao it's not even a bit brown, straight up doesn't give a shit

tfw you get emasculated by a cactus

cactuses are hardcore
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by DigitalSea at #33905898
Strawberries are super easy, careful though they can take over quickly.
Carrots, Lettuce, Beans, Cucumbers, Tomatoes are all really easy to grow. Cherry tomatoes are small and easy to contain. Be sure to plant basil with them, helps repel insects and can actually enhance the flavor of the tomatoes.
Cucumbers tend to take off really well with sunlight and warm temps, bush cuucmbers are best if you don't have a lot of room.
Most roots, like carrots and radishes are pretty hardy and will do will on their own until the fall.

Herbs are good for inside

do strawberries do well inside?

and I don't use many herbs in my cooking atm, but I'll look into it again, any recs on some good ones?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
do strawberries do well inside?

and I don't use many herbs in my cooking atm, but I'll look into it again, any recs on some good ones?

Strawberries are the easiest fruit/berry to grow indoors man. Nothing to it. Could see fruit in 5-6 weeks if you start them soon.

Yeah sure man I have a few recs. herbs are essential for flavor and depth. (in my opinion anyway).

Lemongrass - the easiest shit to grow inside. Trim the top and put the stalk in a bit of water. Done.

Chives, Mint (careful it grows like a weed), Oregano (lots of sun so keep is beside a window), Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary. All good for indoors.
Last edited by DigitalSea at Apr 1, 2016,
Quote by Pastafarian96
Thank you
Growing up in very small country town around farmers and hunters you get to know this stuff pretty damn quick.
Also different methods
Like ferreting, oh boy is that interesting

Rose petal jam is one of the greatest delights on Earth homemade even better

yeah people seem to dig it. I do it more in the summer obviously, but we've had people request it out of season before. It's more of a paste than a jam but it's nice. We will usually pair it with unsalted butter on a white or brioche. Or the yogurt mix like I said before.
My wife and I talk a lot about starting our own garden when we move soon. Used to hunt, haven't been for years.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JamSessionFreak

figs are great ok get outta here

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by DigitalSea at #33905927
Strawberries are the easiest fruit/berry to grow indoors man. Nothing to it. Could see fruit in 5-6 weeks if you start them soon.

Yeah sure man I have a few recs. herbs are essential for flavor and depth. (in my opinion anyway).

Lemongrass - the easiest shit to grow inside. Trim the top and put the stalk in a bit of water. Done.

Chives, Mint (careful it grows like a weed), Oregano (lots of sun so keep is beside a window), Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary. All good for indoors.

Thanks mate

I'm pretty busy with uni atm so I can't start anything too soon, but I'll post here when I get round to doing it
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
Thanks mate

I'm pretty busy with uni atm so I can't start anything too soon, but I'll post here when I get round to doing it

no worries man.
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
figs are great ok get outta here

they probably are but in kindergarten we often got a pack of dried figs for lunch and i hated them but had to eat them cuz i'd be hungry otherwise which made me sick of them and i never really gave them a second chance

same with milk although i gave it a try the other day and was still not impressed

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Page 1 of 4