Page 1 of 2
I tried it out today. It rocks. It has three channels. Each one is different. Each has at least two options for tone. I thought I would be getting a Triple Rectifier, but I think I will be getting a Mark V. It has a Dual Rectified channel.
sweet !! ...... I have the MK V head and Dual Recto head ...... like em both , but I'm more a Recto guy after having both ..... both are killer
I tried the duel rectoverb combo. It was really bad. The Mark V combo was much, much better.

Why do you like the Dual Rectifier more? What kind of music do you play?
MK V is harder to dial in on some of my guitars , it just doesn't sound great with them all ...... the DR sounds great with them all , we play some classic rock and more metal in the Band ..... the Mesa 4x12 cab also takes them all up a notch compared to my other 2x12 and 1x12 cabs .... the DR will thump your chest hard if you want it too
It seems that the Mark V is better overall, since it has so many tones. However, I can get a lot of those tones with my JCM 900. The dual rectifier channel seems to be the most attractive one to me, since I cannot get its sound on my JCM 900. I might be better off getting the Triple Rectifier, since its heavy sound is a little bit better than the Mark V.

Thanks for telling me that you like the Triple Rectifier better. I will have to try it out. I thought the whole time until today that I would get the Triple Rectifier. You can get just about all the sounds of the Mark V with pedals.
I have a Mark IV. Best amp I've ever played. I've owned two different Rectifiers and I would never go back to them after having my Mark.

The distortion is tighter, clearer, and just more pleasing to my ears. It doesn't have the meat of the Rec, but the Rec is so..... uncivilized

I heard it best put like this: the Rec is like a big battle axe, the Mark is like a Katana.

Both have their purpose, but the Mark is my personal fave.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Where did he say that the Triple Rec is better?

I've never played a Triple Rec but I have played a Mark V and I doubt it is better than the Mark V or the Dual Rec for that matter.

I have a Rectoverb head and I can tell you they are not bad. Maybe the combo you played had an issue

Seems like you are kind of all over the board here. I'd tell you to follow the 'What Amp' guide but it seems you are pretty set on a Mesa metal tone. Nothing wrong with that I guess. Are you buying used?

Tons of cool stuff to try:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/search/msa?query=Mesa
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 1, 2016,
I have a. MKiv and a Tremoverb and love them both. They are different enough that I couldn't say which amp is "better" than the other. They are just different through and through. They both excellent amps, just at different things.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have a. MKiv and a Tremoverb and love them both. They are different enough that I couldn't say which amp is "better" than the other. They are just different through and through. They both excellent amps, just at different things.

Agreed. I have a personal preference, but objectively it's hard to say. The Mark probably has it on features but then again a new (or even used) Mark V is considerably more expensive than pretty much any Rec unless you count the Roadking.

Another thing to look at TS. I was in between a Mark and a Roadster/Roadking for a while. If you like Recs but want more versatility, the Roadster/Roadking amps might be for you.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Agreed. I have a personal preference, but objectively it's hard to say. The Mark probably has it on features but then again a new (or even used) Mark V is considerably more expensive than pretty much any Rec unless you count the Roadking.

Another thing to look at TS. I was in between a Mark and a Roadster/Roadking for a while. If you like Recs but want more versatility, the Roadster/Roadking amps might be for you.

Indeed. I still have the Mark V and RoadKing II and both require some getting used to/tweaking due to all the knobs and switches.

For simplicity, it's sometimes more fun to just go with the Mark III or 2-channel Dual or Triple.

Also, from the Mesa thread:

Quote by Ippon
Dude that's an awesome deal.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Dude that's an awesome deal.

that's a local deal I been watching for about a month , terrible timing on gear funds is all I can say
Love my Mark V. Traded a Roadster for it and don't regret that trade for a second. It's miles better than the Mark IV IMO and I don't see a point to a versatile Recto. Rectos do one great sound, which is heavy rhythms, I could care less about the rest.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I tried the IV and V pretty much back to back and just couldn't get over the IV lead channel. I'll admit the V is more intuitive and the clean and low gain are way better, but that lead... of course this is just my experience.
The employee at the shop I went to does not recommend buying used. I think he is right. You never know how much someone else played through it. Moreover, you cannot trust whatever a seller says.

The thing that bothers me is that one of you said that the Triple Rectifier has a meatier sound. I basically want one sound out of a Mesa Boogie: It is the high-gain sound. From videos I have seen on YouTube, both have a very similar sound. It will be hard to decide. I can basically get all of the other distorted sounds out of my JCM900. I do not need another amp to sound like it. I just have to find a place that has a Triple Rectifier and a Mark V to try out side by side.
the Rectifier series is meatier than the MK series .... if your wanting thick heavy tone then you have triple rectifier wrote all over you ...... I have the dual recto and MK V , love them both but there a different animals
This video shows that both are identical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34U7k6mWzI

Thanks for the advice Fumble Fingers. I think you are right. The Mark V fits my music better, but what do I need all of those sounds on it if my Marshall has them already?
Play the Mark in person next to your JCM and you will find that it does not sound much a like at all. I had a 900 before I got my Mark IV. The two are about as far apart as two high gain amps can be.

If you are basing all your opinions on YouTube videos you aren't getting a good idea of the differences. The Mark doesn't sound like the Recto or the 900, it's actually a pretty distinct voicing that doesn't sound like anything else.

Get what you want, it's your choice, but don't discount something solely based on videos.

FWIW, the Recto amps are pretty easy to dial in compared to the Marks.

Edit: Just watched the video. You think that sounds identical? I'm listening on my phone, and I'm sure they tried to get similar sounds out of both amps, and it was still VERY obvious the differences between the two. The Mark has a distinct midrange and a very open tone. The Rec is sizzly and more mid-scooped, with a more compressed sound. Both are great amps but SOOO different.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Apr 2, 2016,
ya those amps sound nothing alike. They aren't even close circuit wise. Neither sound anything like a jcm900 either.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by dementiacaptain
Play the Mark in person next to your JCM and you will find that it does not sound much a like at all. I had a 900 before I got my Mark IV. The two are about as far apart as two high gain amps can be.

If you are basing all your opinions on YouTube videos you aren't getting a good idea of the differences. The Mark doesn't sound like the Recto or the 900, it's actually a pretty distinct voicing that doesn't sound like anything else.

Get what you want, it's your choice, but don't discount something solely based on videos.

FWIW, the Recto amps are pretty easy to dial in compared to the Marks.

Edit: Just watched the video. You think that sounds identical? I'm listening on my phone, and I'm sure they tried to get similar sounds out of both amps, and it was still VERY obvious the differences between the two. The Mark has a distinct midrange and a very open tone. The Rec is sizzly and more mid-scooped, with a more compressed sound. Both are great amps but SOOO different.

I watched the video on my Fire. They seemed the same. However, on my Mac Pro they seemed different. I will check again later.

I agree that the high gain sounds from the JCM900 and Mark V are very different. I am not talking about those tones. I am talking about everything in between. They are very similar to me. My whole purpose in getting a Mesa Boogie is to get a different high-gain sound. I can get all the other sounds the Mesa Boogie has with pedals on my JCM900...except the clean sound. Both the Mark V and Triple Rectifier rock. I will probably wind up getting both of them and making a decision which one is better for me. Home recording is very important to me. I want to make sure that I can get sounds that my JCM900 cannot get.
If you had them in the room together I think you'd see pretty quick that the Mark has a LOT to offer that your Marshall can't, even with pedals. Speaking from experience, things sound very different when you have them in front of you. Look at Ola Englund's channel for example. All his stuff sounds the same, yet I've owned several of the amps he's demoed and they sound nothing alike.

Again, both are great amps, but you need to hear them in person.
I agree with you. It is too bad there was no Triple Rectifier at the shop. However, I was very impressed by the Mark V.
Please just take your Marshall to the shop and A/B it next to the Mesa.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
JCM900 and a MKV sound the same? Could you please get me some clips of your JCM900? Like nao.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by NostraHistoria
This video shows that both are identical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34U7k6mWzI

Thanks for the advice Fumble Fingers. I think you are right. The Mark V fits my music better, but what do I need all of those sounds on it if my Marshall has them already?

Your Marshall might cover a lot of the same ground in terms of gain ranges, but the Mark V will do them all better... Plus it can get a lot heavier.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by trashedlostfdup
JCM900 and a MKV sound the same? Could you please get me some clips of your JCM900? Like nao.

https://m.soundcloud.com/thomaspkoziara

The first song is the first I ever recorded. It has lots of mistakes. Listen to Sober.
Quote by NostraHistoria
https://m.soundcloud.com/thomaspkoziara

The first song is the first I ever recorded. It has lots of mistakes. Listen to Sober.

If that's an accurate representation of what your amp sounds like there is something *very* wrong with it.

Edit: How are you recording this? Now that I think about it, it sounds like you're taking the direct amp signal from a line/slave/speaker out and recording it without any sort of cab impulse. If that's the case... I really hope you've got a speaker cab plugged in otherwise your power transformer is going to live a very short life.... And... why? Not to put too find a point on it, but the tone in those recordings is the worst I've ever hear.d... By miles.
Last edited by icronic at Apr 3, 2016,
Quote by icronic
If that's an accurate representation of what your amp sounds like there is something *very* wrong with it.

Yeah.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I mean any sufficiently broken amp can be made to sound like that no problem.

But, that doesn't sound micced. How are you recording that? That doesn't sound like there's any poweramp interaction at all.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by icronic

Edit: How are you recording this? Now that I think about it, it sounds like you're taking the direct amp signal from a line/slave/speaker out and recording it without any sort of cab impulse. If that's the case... I really hope you've got a speaker cab plugged in otherwise your power transformer is going to live a very short life.... And... why? Not to put too find a point on it, but the tone in those recordings is the worst I've ever hear.d... By miles.

I have a JCM900 combo. So, there is no cab. I go out from the effects loop straight into my Scarlett Solo. It works. I am not a pro. I have been away from guitar for about fourteen years.

Oh, sorry that I did to respond earlier. I have been very busy.
Quote by AcousticMirror
I mean any sufficiently broken amp can be made to sound like that no problem.

But, that doesn't sound micced. How are you recording that? That doesn't sound like there's any poweramp interaction at all.

Effects loop > Scarlett Solo > Computer
Quote by NostraHistoria
I have a JCM900 combo. So, there is no cab. I go out from the effects loop straight into my Scarlett Solo. It works. I am not a pro. I have been away from guitar for about fourteen years.

Man, what's it like coming back after 14 years? I remember trying the JCM900 combo back in the day. I was always comparing it the anniversary series with the three channels and then against the Mark IV. The Mark IV was the one back then....
It is interesting to come back after fourteen years. I basically have all my skills that I had back when I used to play all day when I was eighteen. However, I cannot shred as fast as before, but I am not interested in shredding. If you go to my SoundCloud page, you can listen to the new songs I recorded: Illinois; Sober; Mysteries; Immaterial; Love. I still have it. After listening to my recordings from when I was eighteen, I am impressed. I used a Tascam 424 (?) four track back then. I did not hear a lot of the mistakes I was making on the headphones I used for playback. When I transferred the songs to my computer, I had no more time to fix the mistakes. I had to go to college.

The JCM900 is great. Its clean and distorted lead tones are the best. Its rhythm is good, but there are better ones. The Mark V's extreme stage is better for metal. However, the JCM900 is great for rock.

I do not remember trying the Mark IV back in 2000 or when I used to play. I loved the Mark V when I tried it.
Quote by NostraHistoria

You don't unplug the speakers when you record like this correct?

Next. The tone really is awful. I'm not trying to be an asshole but I mean it when I say it's probably the worst I've ever heard. There are two reasons for this. The first is you're just recording the preamp and not the poweramp. This makes the tone much harsher. The second and biggest reason is that guitar speakers put out a much different sound than the guitar amp is sending them. Their frequency response of a guitar speaker eliminates a lot of unwanted frequencies that an amp produces. The actual tone an amp sends to the speakers sounds basically like an epic battle between a man wielding a chainsaw and an army of a million wasps. It's really the speakers that make your tone sweet.

There are many solutions. The simplest is to simply mic your amp. Might take a while before you find a decent mic placement, but it will make your sound much better for very little money.

You could also buy a plugin for your recording program and some Cab IRs record your amp as you are and then load the cab IR afterwards. This will still mean you're not getting the sound of the poweramp, but it will be better than what you've got. If you do grab the Mesa I believe you can record this way from the slave out and get both pre and power amp sounds - but don't quote me on that.

If you want to spend a bit more cash you can grab something like the Mesa CabClone. You run that from the speaker out of your amp into your recording program and it emulates speaker response. I don't love the CabClone, but it does work.

For a lot more money you can get something like the Torpedo. I personally wouldn't spend that much money unless you were really really serious about recording.

Edit: Have you given the Roadster or Road King a shot?
Last edited by icronic at Apr 9, 2016,
Thanks for your advice. I do not unplug the speakers when I record.

I never tried them. I just lost my job. So, I am not getting anything soon.
I've played Mesa Amps since 1987 withe my 2 rack mounted Mark IIIs and have always kept them around for many years afterwards. I've gone from Mark IVs, Dual Rectos, to Triple Rectos and love all of these amps for different reasons. The new Mark V series are a testament to all of these amps, including the 25 and 35. The sheer versatility you get with all of the Mark Vs is stunning. I wish that the 85 watt version had the Cab Clone. This could be on update later on down the line, but a man can dream.
The Road King 2 is my dream amp for its versatility. What I love about it is the same reason that I love Triple Rectos. The large transformers on theses amps make the clean sound stunning. I don't have to mention everything this amp does. I will be unleashing recordings in the near future. No one who owns a Mark V is slumming. These are some greatest modern amps made.
Guitars: Tom Anderson Grand Am Custom, Gretcsh Black Phoenix, Fender American Standard w/ Q tuners and Hipshot Trilogy Bridge
Amps as mentioned.
Thanks for the info. All of them are great. Each one suits a different player.
I tried dual rectifier and mark v heads today. The dual rectifier appeals more to me. It is edgier. The mark v is tamed in comparison. The mark v's clean is better. The dual rectifier's clean is not bad.
Quote by NostraHistoria
I tried dual rectifier and mark v heads today. The dual rectifier appeals more to me. It is edgier. The mark v is tamed in comparison. The mark v's clean is better. The dual rectifier's clean is not bad.

Try a Mesa Roadster - cleans of a Mark I, reverb of a Lonestar, edge and brootz of a standard Dual Rec blues tweed and Brit modes.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I am looking just for a heavy sound. My JCM900 can make all the other sounds I want. Will the Roadster be good for heavy grunge, such as Alice in Chains. Jerry Cantrell used a Bogner on some of his records.
Page 1 of 2