Just wondering if this is possible. Right now I have the hot rails with a 250k push pull pot that splits to single coil. Honestly the split sound is not doing it for me enough to use it. The hot rails sound is good but too dark, I think it really does need a 500k pot.

Now, for the bridge I don't really need to control tone, full blast is ok. Thinking I canput a (non push-pull) 500k put at the bridge end,then have one volume and one tone knob for the mid and neck. Any idea on wiring?

Thank you!
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
this is possible, what kind of switch do you have so i can photoshop this out for you, i've got nothing exciting going on tonight so I can help you out.
Thanks Tallwood! I have the standard 5-way switch that comes with US standard 2014 strat. I didn't buy the 500k pot yet but planning cts.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
good thinking, ok so put the push pull wherever , the 6 contacts on the push pull think of them as floating in space, what i mean by this is you can add the push pull anywhere; i went with the volume pot because it's easier to visualize. I tend to smack into it myself but i'm not a strat guy so put it wherever the diagram remains the same besides that.

if you don't plan to use the push pull just pretend it's not there , the red and white wire from the pickup go nowhere and the push pull doesn't need any soldering done to it.

if you want a cool idea besides the coilsplit on the bridge pickup I suggest the 7 way mod, do this to the neck and get 7 sounds out of the guitar including the bridge/neck and all 3 pickup sounds. How to beef up your strat video is the video I recommend for it.

as an update I'm almost done the harness in photoshop, just trying to figure out how to not have any issues with this as it's been a while since i did a strat diagram.
Thanks! Actually considering not using the push pull pot as I think the quality on it is not as good as the stock pots I have. It's a standard fender push pull pot. I'll look at the 7 way mod when I get home in a bit though. I wasn't able to wire it up in series/parallel with the push pull pot before, so maybe just simple wiring may be best.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
I put a pair of Hot Rails in a guitar (it already had a standard bridge humbucker) and used a 250K push-pull pot to split the Hot Rails (there was a 500K pot and a miniswitch to split the humbucker).

It was a mistake.

I yanked that 250K pot immediately and replaced it wit a 500K push-pull, and all was well.
As you've noticed, way too dark.
if this works i need a medal for my creativity

tap test the pickups with a screw driver to make sure everything works of course, i learned this trick from robb turner of EMG pickups years ago. You put a pickup selector to say the neck pickup and tap it with a screw driver.

Any problems sends me a private message or reply back here. Don't put the strings on the guitar until you know 100% sure everything is in working order. For a good and quick second opinion I suggest the seymour duncan page as I'm sleeping really odd hours this week.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 2, 2016,
Thank you! Since I still need to buy the pot I sent an email to SD too just in case. They don't always reply though. Thank you!
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Alright bought a b500k cts pot at the guitar shop right now. If I have time tonight I'll wire it up.

Hmm so in that diagram the 500k is the bottommost one with the cap?
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Apr 2, 2016,
if you use something like this on the volume post for the pickups you could probably work a way for everything to operate at optimum resistance and get the brilliance out of your humbucker without making the singles too bright.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPCS25/CTS-Stacked-Dual-Concentric-Audio-Guitar-Pot-250K500K.html

might require a more intricate five way switch though - one of the duel or quad wafers can help a lot when you get your head around them.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
sorry for the late reply, well 500k can be anywhere in the harness, what we learn is any pot value all wires the same way whether it be 1k or 2m (2000k)

preferably i'd do it with the push pull as you could split coils or do the 7 way mod.

capacitor value is also any you feel like; with capacitors they are like strings or shoe sizes the bigger the number the more in this case highs we're cutting

the one with the capacitor is your tone control, i have all pre-made photos I paste together so it does say 0.047uf for the capacitors but use whatever value you want. I like 0.033uf so the single coils and the higher output bridge pickup cut good amounts of treble. Smart decision to go with B500k by the way, I like linear more myself. If you roll that volume down to 50% (5) you get really close to 250k , why it wouldn't be an absolute 250k even with a linear pot is due to the potentiometers tolerance. The maximum resistance of the pot is about 475k roughly if you were to plug a multimeter to it. There is pots you can get on bare knuckle pickups website and I'm sure other places that actually compensate for this that are 530k. So with tolerance they actually are 500k, but that is overkill for the price difference i can imagine.

anyways enough rocket science today anything i wasn't clear on or any issues with the harness let me know. By the way if you want to make sure a tone control works turn it to 0 and have a distorted tone, if the tone of the guitar through the amp goes flat your tones working.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 2, 2016,
http://m.imgur.com/IXsjO1H

So as SD is ignoring my messages, I contcted Dimarzio. I adjusted for the wiring color differences and hooked it up like this.

And...no sound. I tested connections and can't find the problem. I used the white jack wire to hot, black to ground.

One possible reason is the wire going from the leftmost tab of volume to...a mystery position on the middle tone. I connectect it just to the back of the middle tone pot.

If I tap the pups with metal, any position, nothing.

If you have any suggestions, please help
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Oops took off the mystery wire and it works!
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
You might also try wiring the Hot Rails in parallel instead of cutting one coil. You might like that sound.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan