Page 1 of 2
Hello guys, so I decided to buy a new amp (wha'ts wrong with buying amps? nothing ! ) and I decided on a Blackstar . Thing is , I don't know which version to buy . Should I go with the 30 watt version or the 60 watt version ? I'm going to be using it for gigs but also at home . i have neighbors and I don't want to be making a lot of noise . In fact I would like if I wouldn't be heard at all . So can you please tell me which version to get ? Thanks in advance !
Which one has better features? The max volume difference between the two isn't much, and you shouldn't be running it full tilt ever anyway so it doesn't really matter. It is a master volume amp, you can make it very quiet or very loud.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Well the ID 60 has 3 master options . And it has 2 speakers . But even with the master volume , how quiet would it be ? I really don't want the neighbors to be able to hear me .
Well, I'll put it this way. I have used 100 watt amps in my house in the middle of the night without disturbing others who were asleep in the next room.

Given that the ID series are more or less big practice amps, I'd bet they can get prett damn quiet.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Well, I'll put it this way. I have used 100 watt amps in my house in the middle of the night without disturbing others who were asleep in the next room.

Given that the ID series are more or less big practice amps, I'd bet they can get prett damn quiet.

All right . Did you have any soundproof equipment installed or somethin' like that ? Anyways I believe that it will be good both on really low volumes and it will be loud enough for gigs thank you .
Quote by mydoggylio6
All right . Did you have any soundproof equipment installed or somethin' like that ? Anyways I believe that it will be good both on really low volumes and it will be loud enough for gigs thank you .

No soundproofing.
Quote by dementiacaptain

This. I just don't understand why people think big amps can only do stadium volumes...

Every amp I've played in the last 20+ years has had a volume knob. None of them had a stop which prevented the amp from being run at "1."
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I blame TGP. They are always to blame.
The ID60 TVP is a single 12 inch speaker the ID260TVP is a stereo version with two independent speakers in a single cabinet. Totally different animal.
If you like the ID Series tones and plan to play live, using pre-set patches (with the optional foot controller) I would recommend the 60W for the global presence and resonance controls. These are specifically designed to accommodate the different room characteristics you'll likely encounter and are not part of the saved patches and easily adjustable on the fly from the front panel. This is feature you don't get on the lower power models and will allow you to not have to mess with presets from venue to venue.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
The ID60 TVP is a single 12 inch speaker the ID260TVP is a stereo version with two independent speakers in a single cabinet. Totally different animal.
If you like the ID Series tones and plan to play live, using pre-set patches (with the optional foot controller) I would recommend the 60W for the global presence and resonance controls. These are specifically designed to accommodate the different room characteristics you'll likely encounter and are not part of the saved patches and easily adjustable on the fly from the front panel. This is feature you don't get on the lower power models and will allow you to not have to mess with presets from venue to venue.

Yes I decided on the ID 60 . But the lack of phones AUX is really a bummer. But the ID 2x60 is a good amp and I was told that the two speakers help with the tone .
Quote by Will Lane
You're looking into the ID60 2x12? I do not have any experience with it but from what I see there are better options in that price range. What genres do you play? Budget?

I play some Blues , 80's hair metal , modern metal , thrash , some metalcore , rock . What would you recommend me then ? My budget is up to 500 and 600 . I don't want any tubes if that's what you've been thinking about .
Why you no tube amps?

Seriously - what is the logic there? I'm not a tube snob per say but blues, 80's hair metal, metalcore etc (TO ME) do not sound that great on a solid state or digital map. Yes, there are exceptions. The owner of Guitar Amp Board (forum) bought an ID60 and returned it after his first gig with it because it did not impress.

With your budget and genres I suggest a used tube amp - like a Mesa DC5 or .50 Caliber etc. I got my Mesa Rectoverb head for $490 and my Vypyr Tube 60 combo for $315. Both of those I can recommend for sure but the Vypyr will not shine for the blues and mid gain stuff.

Where are you located?
If you gig (or plan to), keep in mind you have to carry any amp around. Ideally, the amp will be miked at the gigs, and won't need to be super loud all the time. If most of your playing is done over headphones, there might be better options.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Why you no tube amps?

Seriously - what is the logic there? I'm not a tube snob per say but blues, 80's hair metal, metalcore etc (TO ME) do not sound that great on a solid state or digital map. Yes, there are exceptions. The owner of Guitar Amp Board (forum) bought an ID60 and returned it after his first gig with it because it did not impress.

With your budget and genres I suggest a used tube amp - like a Mesa DC5 or .50 Caliber etc. I got my Mesa Rectoverb head for $490 and my Vypyr Tube 60 combo for $315. Both of those I can recommend for sure but the Vypyr will not shine for the blues and mid gain stuff.

Where are you located?

You'd base your opinion on an amp on one guy who has a forum with a membership of 2600 people? Really? Have YOU ever tried one?
Just saying "buy a tube amp" is about as helpful or meaningful as the standard "tube amps are better than modelling amps BS" and about as poorly informed.
There are lots of people into modelling these days, successfully I might add as well. Not every modelling amp is equal of course, just a certainly not every tube amp is equal.
In my 40 years of playing I've owned or had the opportunity to play through many of the more famous (non-boutique) tube amps. All of them had the same basic limitations, they excelled at a good clean tone and a good distorted tone with the amount of good distortion depending upon the amp. All has fairly unique characteristics to their family, sounds but eventually using the same couple of sounds gets tiresome unless you and your band are clones of a handful of bands or a specific genre of music.
Modeling will never be for every one true. Some are so prejudiced it won't matter how good they sound, they simply have their minds closed, others can't handle the required learning curve to use them to their capacity or make half hearted attempts, some simply are simply happy with a single guitar tone sound and don't need the flexibility.
Then surprisingly their are others. Personally I like being able to go from a JT45 to a Fender Clean to a Marshall to a VOX all on one amp!
To the OP the stereo effect is certainly different, whether it'll add to the tone is subjective IMO. It will add to the cost and weight.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 2, 2016,
Quote by KenG
You'd base your opinion on an amp on one guy who has a forum with a membership of 2600 people? Really? Have YOU ever tried one?
Just saying "buy a tube amp" is about as helpful or meaningful as the standard "tube amps are better than modelling amps BS" and about as poorly informed.

That was an example, and not the basis for the entirety of the opinion.

I think you read the post wrong, and are arguing with something that nobody actually said.
Quote by KenG
There are lots of people into modelling these days, successfully I might add as well. Not every modelling amp is equal of course, just a certainly not every tube amp is equal.
In my 40 years of playing I've owned or had the opportunity to play through many of the more famous (non-boutique) tube amps. All of them had the same basic limitations, they excelled at a good clean tone and a good distorted tone with the amount of good distortion depending upon the amp. All has fairly unique characteristics to their family, sounds but eventually using the same couple of sounds gets tiresome unless you and your band are clones of a handful of bands or a specific genre of music.
Modeling will never be for every one true. Some are so prejudiced it won't matter how good they sound, they simply have their minds closed, others can't handle the required learning curve to use them to their capacity or make half hearted attempts, some simply are simply happy with a single guitar tone sound and don't need the flexibility.
Then surprisingly their are others. Personally I like being able to go from a JT45 to a Fender Clean to a Marshall to a VOX all on one amp!
To the OP the stereo effect is certainly different, whether it'll add to the tone is subjective IMO. It will add to the cost and weight.

So you're basically saying that the extra speaker will only help to the ''widness '' of the sound ?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Why you no tube amps?

Where are you located?

Well I don't want any tubes because it will be too loud and tubes sound best when they are cranked so it would be a waste of tubes . Also , the Blackstar is better than most SS amps . ( from what I heard from people ) . I'm in london check the anderton's website and if you see an amp that you think that it would be better than the Blackstar then please tell me . http://www.andertons.co.uk/
Quote by mydoggylio6
So you're basically saying that the extra speaker will only help to the ''widness '' of the sound ?

Stereo can add a lot, especially if you're using time-based stereo effects like delay, reverb, chorus, etc. Try it out if you're able, some people really benefit from it.

Quote by mydoggylio6
Well I don't want any tubes because it will be too loud and tubes sound best when they are cranked so it would be a waste of tubes . Also , the Blackstar is better than most SS amps . ( from what I heard from people ) . I'm in london check the anderton's website and if you see an amp that you think that it would be better than the Blackstar then please tell me . http://www.andertons.co.uk/

Bit of faulty logic there. Even setting aside the shaky 'tubes sound best cranked' bit, what does that matter? If a particular tube amp sounds better than a particular hybrid amp even at low volumes (which is not uncommon), what does it matter that you won't often use it at higher volumes? Don't you simply want to sound as good as you can at the volumes you need? Plus, you said you're going to be gigging with it. To me that's when it would really matter to have a good tube amp you can crank and enjoy.

Tube amps have volume controls. They're not typically 'too loud' except when nearly any amp would be too loud. I really think you need to play more amps, you're saying a lot of things that aren't really correct, and seem to come from misunderstanding some things you read online instead of a first person understanding of how these amps actually behave.

With the budget you have I'd be looking at used amps, not sure what UK prices look like but you seem to be in 6505+ or DSL40 territory.
The reason to go with modelling is to play softly and sound like big amps playing loud or to have the tones of multiples of these amps at your fingertips at any volume as the good ones aren't volume dependent in any way. That being said the ID Series is a very different modeler. It is not meant to sound like the big boys at low volumes. It's really meant to be have like a tube amp (well 6 tube amps actually)! I know I have the 15 & 60W versions. So if the low (bedroom) volume is your primary goal these may not be the amps for you. Heck even the 15W is loud at 2 or 3 and these amps need to be played at those levels to really get the benefits of the TVP. That being said they are cheap enough you could buy one and still buy some other little modelling amp for bedroom levels.

Of course if there's a particular tube amp sound you like (VOX Top Boost is one of my fav's) then there's nothing wrong with buying a tube amp if all you're after is a certain sound. Just be aware that a Fender doesn't sound like a Marshall, a Vox doesn't sound like a Mesa etc so know the "sound" character you're after.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 2, 2016,
I wish I could find the people that are still spreading the tired tubes sound best cranked garbage and punch them in the nuts. everyone single on of them.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
I wish I could find the people that are still spreading the tired tubes sound best cranked garbage and punch them in the nuts. everyone single on of them.

Agreed. I'll admit that tubes do sound a little better when they're cranked, but not by as much as some people make it out to be, and IMO they still sound better than SS even when they're not cranked.

As to tubes vs solid state and modelers, I'm aware that there are some great modelers out there and they give you more flexibility, but I'm all about getting a good tone and sticking to it and I feel that tube amps tend to do one thing and do it very well, which is perfect to me.
Quote by AcousticMirror

It's not nuts but it's not the entire story. It's like so many other things on this forum with a large protion of younger players (not necessarily in their age mind you), people hear something, barely understand it and repeat it in part making the story convoluted or distorted.
There's two types of distortion in an amp, pre-amp and power amp. They sound different and they happen at different points. Pre-amp distortion can be had simply by cranking the gain and keeping the master volume down. In this case the clipping happens in the pre-amp and a small portion of this gets sent to the power amp to be rather cleanly amplified. Power amp distortion happens when there a large signal, clean or distorted (depending on amp headroom) and the power amp itself is working hard.
It really depends on the sound you're after as to which one is "better" that's all. There is a whole market on power soak devices seeming to indicate some people think this is what they're after. Many people will happily use pedals.
Moving on.....
^^You're preaching to the choir here. Most of us in this thread know what pre and power amp overdrive is (maybe not the threadstarter though).

Preamp distortion has come a long way since the 70s. It can sound warm and rich, and you can even dial in some sag with a lot of amps. I have listened to others play and have played a lot of modelers myself (owned a Peavey Vypyr 30 head for about a year as well). I have yet to hear one that makes me want to rush out and buy it. I haven't tried a Kemper or Axe FX II though, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I bought into the "modelers sound better at lower volume" thing when I purchased my Vypyr 30. I wanted a second amp anyway (I have a Peavey 6505+). Well, the Vypyr did a good job modeling the 6505 and a fairly good job modeling a Rectifier. It did NOT, however, sound "better" at lower volumes. No, my 6505 beat it at ALL volumes. And when I did crank the two through the same 4 X 12 cab, the real 6505 blew it out of the water.

There is no reason not to go with a tube amp, and a tube amp with high-wattage at that. There's also nothing wrong with modelers -- but to say they're superior to tube amps at low volumes is nonsense.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 2, 2016,
just to chime in on the low volume stuff.

when you play any amp at low volumes, tube/SS/hybrid/solar, what goes missing in the sound is the bass.

when your tone has no bass, your tone suffers.

this is why the whole "SS sounds better at low volumes" argument is pure bullshit.

most amps sound like shit at super low volumes because you're only hearing the mids and treble frequencies, which makes the tone sound thin and anemic.

carry on!

TS - good luck with your new amp! many years of happiness, etc. etc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by KenG

Hi Ken

Didn't mean to offend you or your amp. I honestly didn't realize you owned one until today. No, I have not tried one. My only knowledge comes from GuitarBilly at GAB. Yes, I realize that is not very much nor hands on. Billy knows his amps though so I trust his hands on opinion. He said it was fine for what it is but not for gigging that's all. I only brought him up because I figured his thread/posts on the subject would be easy to find. It doesn't really matter if his forum has 2,600 users, 2.6M or 26.

I provided more info than simply saying 'buy a tube amp'. Besides, I was simply trying to kick off some dialog to explore further why mydoggylio6 doesn't want a tube amp. And sure enough, it appears that he may have some misunderstandings. Higher watts means higher headroom - that's what you need to know about tube amps.

You should also know that I own a modeler and recommended a modeler as well - in this very thread. I've owned some other modelers in my past and I'm sure I'll have more in the future. For the wide range of styles that the TS wants to play a modeler may well be the way to go. Blues to Metalcore is pretty tall order.

Here are some things to consider. Marshall DSL is very flexible amp.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-amps/cid688/electric-guitar-amps.asp#1459728009230page-7

So...

Marshall DSL
Laney Lionheart/GH50
Egnater Rebel/Tweaker
Yamaha THR100
Vox AC15C/VT series
Line6 DT25/Spider Valve/Flextone/Vetta
Fender Bassbreaker
PRS Archon
Peavey Classic 30/6505+ combo/Vypyr Tube 60/Valveking
EVH 5153 mini

I see they don't carry Jet City but if you can find a used one it would be worth a shot. A used Engl Thunder might work as well as a used Mesa. I can't bring myself to recommend anything from Blackstar. Sorry.

I really like the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, as I mentioned, because you can do country, blues, rock, metal etc. It sounds good at low and high volumes. It has a headphone jack.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I blame TGP. They are always to blame.

Not always. But they ARE the default.
Buy a t00b amp. /thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by mydoggylio6
Hello guys, so I decided to buy a new amp (wha'ts wrong with buying amps? nothing ! ) and I decided on a Blackstar . Thing is , I don't know which version to buy . Should I go with the 30 watt version or the 60 watt version ? I'm going to be using it for gigs but also at home . i have neighbors and I don't want to be making a lot of noise . In fact I would like if I wouldn't be heard at all . So can you please tell me which version to get ? Thanks in advance !

The wattage will be immaterial for home use. You should probably select the 60W version if you're going to be using it for low-level gigs where any PA will be mostly used for vocals.

I picked up a modeler (Pod XT "bean") for home use; I can plug a set of good headphones into it and crank it up and no one can hear, even if they're in the same room.
Hello guys and thank you for all the replies . Thank you also for all the amp recommandations . I really appreciate it . I''ll check them out in this very moment !
P.S to KailM I know what pre amp and power amp distortion is . Also I know that since it has a volume knob it can quiet down a lot , in fact I did not question this until a friend of mine asked me if what i'm saying is really true . I told him yes, but I wanted to make sure just in case . I hope that clears it up a bit . And yes of course I know that tube amps WILL sound better than SS amps at any volume ( except for the crappy ones and personal prference of course ) . And to KenG from what you told me so far it sounds that you are happy with your amp . So I will assume that it will be good for the genres I listed since you haven't given any negative feedback .
Quote by KenG
The reason to go with modelling is to play softly and sound like big amps playing loud or to have the tones of multiples of these amps at your fingertips...

I've yet to hear a modeler under $1500 that can get even close to that type of sound.

Those Blackstars are not that great for live. I've heard other guitarists use them and I've had the misfortune of being stuck with one for a show. Was not impressed at all.
icronic why do you say that ? most people I talked to had quite good things to say about it . Maybe they were biased but really it seems like a good amp . Which model did you use ? The one that I'm planning to buy ? If so please tell me what you disliked about it . I have quite some variety in my music , ( I play from blues to metalcore to thrash to anything pretty much ) . If you know a good amp that can cover those genres WELL then please tell me .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Marshall DSL is very flexible amp.

This was my first thought, though amps with distortion aren't really my area.

Quote by mydoggylio6
icronic why do you say that ? most people I talked to had quite good things to say about it . Maybe they were biased but really it seems like a good amp . Which model did you use ? The one that I'm planning to buy ? If so please tell me what you disliked about it . I have quite some variety in my music , ( I play from blues to metalcore to thrash to anything pretty much ) . If you know a good amp that can cover those genres WELL then please tell me .

Are you able to try any of these amps? It's all very well hearing people argue about whether such-and-such generalisation is true and whether such-and-such amp is terrible or the dog's bollocks, but you haven't said a thing about actually listening to any of these amps, let alone trying them. If I were you I'd try to actually play through the suggestions you've got so far, or at very least find demos of them with gear as similar as possible to what you already have, then make a decision based on that.

Suggestions are always useful, but beyond that, if you know what you're looking for, other people's opinions are an irrelevance.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
K33nbl4d3 I know man . Thing is I can't try any of them . I DO have listened to them though . And I always search for demos . Always . I never buy something before I try it out myself or check it out via Internet or whatever that may be .
Quote by mydoggylio6

There are lots of people using these amps live, just not on THIS forum where a tube amp, any tube amp, is always superior to any SS or modeling amp.
I recommend you find a way to try before you buy regardless of which way you're leaning. It also sounds like you're very unfamiliar with modeling in particular and that can be a problem. With a tube amp you set up the volume, gain controls and adjust the tone controls and you're done. Very easy to use, zero learning curve and practically idiot proof.
When modeling the preset tones on programmable amps often suck, they are usually over-done on effects and settings to "show off" how much they can vary but for uninitiated who simply work with the presets as is, they become quickly disappointed. This was true of the ID Series presets from the factory and my HD500 presets. But looking online for demos and instructional vids it's pretty apparent you can certainly get good sounds out of many provided you understand what you're doing.
While the ID Series doesn't have the super-editing functions other modelers have, you still have to understand the characteristic sounds of the TVP tube power settings, the effects of the ISF, channel voicing, and tone controls all inter-act more than simple passive tone cut controls on a typical tube amp. For this reason I'm starting to wonder if you should either stay traditional tube or if set on trying modeling, go with a lower cost, traditional all-in-one modeler solution (VOX, VYPYR, Fender Mustang etc.) where there's less to play with and the basic amps sounds are already done for you. You can get these types of amps for slightly over $100 to $300 depending on size and power levels.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 4, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
just to chime in on the low volume stuff.

when you play any amp at low volumes, tube/SS/hybrid/solar, what goes missing in the sound is the bass.

I think it might depend on the speakers. I have two amps that I play at acoustic guitar volume in my man cave. On is a 20w-ish H&K, the other a heavily modded 5w Epi VJ. Both have the original speakers, and the bass is much, much better defined and present in the H&K - and it isn't about EQ. The effect is so striking that I'm thinking of getting a brighter speaker for the Epi.

FWIW, the size and weight put me off a 212. - I've seen too many folks with chronic incurable bad backs.
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 4, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
I think it might depend on the speakers. I have two amps that I play at acoustic guitar volume in my man cave. On is a 20w-ish H&K, the other a heavily modded 5w Epi VJ. Both have the original speakers, and the bass is much, much better defined and present in the H&K - and it isn't about EQ. The effect is so striking that I'm thinking of getting a brighter speaker for the Epi.

FWIW, the size and weight put me off a 212. - I've seen too many folks with chronic incurable bad backs.

Cabinet style as well. Closed backs offer a little more low end than traditional Open backed cabs. All of my current amps w/built in speakers (4) are closed back.
Moving on.....
Ken- I think you are a little sensitive of the Blackstars.

OP try to demo everything you can. For $300 a tube amp may not be best for you. I have yet to be wowed by oversized budget modeling practice amps. But that is just me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 2