Recommendation from a guy who has played 1000s of gigs in 100s of different venues:

Own stuff that will cover 90% of the gigs you have now and rent a sound system w/crew for the larger/outdoor gigs, adding the cost to your performance fee. You are in the making music biz, not moving and storage. K.I.S.S. method applies here. Mic vocals, maybe guitars, line in for keys. Drum mics and bass require subs and a skilled sound tech which are over budget at this point.

A legit system for pub gigs:
3 EV ZLX12P powered speakers $1200
1 Mackie ProFX1202 board $249
1 SM58 vocal mic $100
various cords and stands $200

This will give you quality house sound for up to 200 fans and one foldback monitor for the band. Once a bunch of money comes in from your recording sales you can add more mics, subs, monitors as needed. Totally scaleable and quick easy setup.

Good luck!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by GreasyCanadian
Dude I posted this on 3 other forums and a facebook group and this was the most simple, best breakdown out of all of them. Could you elaborate on how I would connect these pieces and what they would do? I assume the vocals run through the Mic into the board, and then through the speakers while the rest of the instruments come out "raw"? Pretty clueless here. Great info though brotha

Well someone is going to have to get some training in use of a PA system or it will end in tears. Mics>mixer> speakers= loud and clean awesome sounding gig. There is a lot to learn about mic and speaker placement, setting unity gain and eq, finding the feedback threshold and clipping level and backing off 3-5db.

Trying to cover all of this in a forum post will only confuse further. Find a local sound guy who does a good job in a local pub. Lure him to your practice studio with free beer and hot chicks. When in doubt RTFM.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY