Hello, let me fill you in of why I'm doing it to give you a better understanding.
I'm helping people make a game and the problem is, is that you got to me really good.
I mean REALLY good.

I need to learn to create battle music and nice, peaceful music sounds when going into towns and stuff.

Weakness.
Okay. I have no absolute idea how to read the treble clef. I have tuxguitar and put all my sheet music in there so in can put it all in tab for me.

Strengths.
I know my way through the guitar neck pretty easily and can read tab really well.

Okay, here are some ideas of what I want to try to make.
Battle Music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO0Lf1oWg30

Town music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yc_NMc--8

So... where do I start?
Last edited by austin.rivera.1 at Apr 3, 2016,
If you can make music, you can make game music.

Just keep making music with a certain mood in mind and go from there. Would help to visualize the place/environment you'd be in and just start playing.
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Quote by Phazon
If you can make music, you can make game music.

Just keep making music with a certain mood in mind and go from there. Would help to visualize the place/environment you'd be in and just start playing.

But how?
I didn't read properly - I thought the videos were you already.

There's no easy answer to your question. Composing itself can be easy, but composing to a brief can be extremely tough. If I was in your position I would map out a few things:

- What is the narrative?
If you know the narrative you can know where you need to add emphasis / dynamics

- What is the mood?
It depends on the narrative, but if there are sad moments, keep it in a minor key, if it's a battle you'll probably want it louder, aggressive and less refined, etc.

- How many pieces do you need?
If there are lots of pieces you may want to have a motif / theme going through them - that you can change according to the mood, that ties all the pieces together. If they only need two pieces then you have a lot more freedom stylistically.

- How long do the pieces need to be?
Again, if they are short pieces the mood is the most important part -the composition has a lot more freedom in terms of key / tempo and even style. If it's a longer piece you really need to think about the sections and how they tie to the narrative or what is happening on screen.

- Do they need to segue into each other?
The only reason for asking this is it makes it a lot easier if they're in the same key

- Are they looking for just guitar or layered tracks?
If you're just recording one guitar it may be tougher to build a bigger sound, but easier in terms of composing and orchestration. If they want a full piece, with backing, then you need to think about all of the above and how to tie them in.

They should give you a very detailed brief, which will help you - the other, most important part, is have a DVR of the game being played and play along, get a feel for it, the style what works. Your music isn't meant to be a standalone piece, it's not there to be critiqued on technique or skill, it's to add something to the experience.
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
The more I think about it, the tougher a job this is. Really, you're using all of the tools and techniques at your disposal to capture the action happening on screen.

A good exercise to prepare yourself for this would be to watch TV / certain scenes from films without the sound and try and play along with what's happening.
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

As far as writing music for a game, seems like you'd need some guidance from the game designers. Do they have story boards you could reference?
Towns might be a bit easier to write for. If a town is bustling, prospering, and active, you'd probably do well to have an uptempo, major-sounding theme. A city that is in ruins, or is being oppressed by an evil lord may need slower, more ponderous music--a theme that is minor-keyed and full of tension.
But really it's about how the music will fit into the scenes, so adequate communication with the game designers will be key.
Quote by Herr Rararr
I didn't read properly - I thought the videos were you already.

There's no easy answer to your question. Composing itself can be easy, but composing to a brief can be extremely tough. If I was in your position I would map out a few things:

- What is the narrative?
If you know the narrative you can know where you need to add emphasis / dynamics

- What is the mood?
It depends on the narrative, but if there are sad moments, keep it in a minor key, if it's a battle you'll probably want it louder, aggressive and less refined, etc.

- How many pieces do you need?
If there are lots of pieces you may want to have a motif / theme going through them - that you can change according to the mood, that ties all the pieces together. If they only need two pieces then you have a lot more freedom stylistically.

- How long do the pieces need to be?
Again, if they are short pieces the mood is the most important part -the composition has a lot more freedom in terms of key / tempo and even style. If it's a longer piece you really need to think about the sections and how they tie to the narrative or what is happening on screen.

- Do they need to segue into each other?
The only reason for asking this is it makes it a lot easier if they're in the same key

- Are they looking for just guitar or layered tracks?
If you're just recording one guitar it may be tougher to build a bigger sound, but easier in terms of composing and orchestration. If they want a full piece, with backing, then you need to think about all of the above and how to tie them in.

They should give you a very detailed brief, which will help you - the other, most important part, is have a DVR of the game being played and play along, get a feel for it, the style what works. Your music isn't meant to be a standalone piece, it's not there to be critiqued on technique or skill, it's to add something to the experience.

Well basically, it's a free roam game. So there isn't really a specific story line.
Right now, I need a nice, harmonious sounds for town music and also thrilling sounds for battles and versing bosses.
There will still be plot points, or sequences that are not free-roam.

Again, you need a detailed brief from the game designers and then you can compose. There's not much more advice to give now - it's down to you to make the music. If that feels far beyond your ability then it's probably too advanced a project you've taken on. Look at other game music, look at the structures abd dynamics, try to recreate it without ripping it off - it's a way to start understanding how to create.
|

----