Page 1 of 2
Yeah, it's going to be one of these "What should I buy" sort of threads. I'm reaching out to the T-style guitar experts for some sage wisdom regarding a telecaster, teleclone, ASAT, et al purchase I'm ready to pull the trigger on.

I'm good to go for anything up to and including an American Standard, but I just know there are some teleclones out there, even for half that price, that may rival that guitar.

So, experienced T guys - if you had to choose only one for around 1200 bucks (used is just fine), which is it? Would you go, say, ASAT Tribute and use the extra funds elsewhere because they are so good? Is there another brand I am unaware of that will blow my mind?!

So we all know where my head's at, I am heavily eyeballing the ASAT Bluesboy because the jazzy tones from that neck humbucker are amazing and you can still get the spanky goodness from the bridge that I'm after. BUT - is that a sacrifice if I'm looking for a telecaster tone? Should I just go SS and stay traditional? I'm feeling maple fretboard, chunky neck sort of vintage vibe. Maybe semi-hollow... natural finish or translucent. I have a thing for woodgrain.

For the MOST part, I'll be playing this one clean, slight overdrive occasionally with the delay and chorus effects I'm sure.

Let's talk about this! I would call myself an experienced player and fairly expert on all things guitar, so feel free to use tech talk as much as necessary.

A cursory search of my area has revealed next to nothing in terms of guitars to try out, so this is going to be an internet purchase, just FYI. Even the GC here in Reno has only like...3 Fender teles.
Last edited by TomInReno at Apr 3, 2016,
the Tributes are real nice , just bought a used Tribute ASAT Deluxe for our lead player and it's fabulous .... I have 4 US ASAT's and the Tribute is a lot of guitar for the money ..... if you need another amp or gear get the Tribute ..... if satisfied with the rest of your gear get the US model , they come with 10 year warranty for the whole guitar , wiring , pick ups and everything
The craftsmanship on the G&L's just seems a little more "crafty" from what I understand than what I'd get from a Fender outside of the custom shop stuff, anyway. G&L gets a lot of love, I know that. My greatest fear is that I'll get a not-Fender and then have some sort of mild buyers remorse where I still feel the need to own an American Standard or whatever. I need you guys to build my confidence in something else if I go that route so that doesn't happen to me
First, I'll state the obvious: when it comes to guitars, I'm an oddball. I have 2 T-style guitars, both of which are awesome, but neither of which is standard. Each is luthier made (so out of your price range, for one)- the first has a splittable bridge HB and a HB-sized P90 in the neck; the other has a Charlie Christian in the bridge and a singlecoil in the neck.

So, among production guitars, any of the various G&L ASATs- USA or Tribute- would be among my first options.

Carvin/Kiesel would be a great deal, too. Their version is pretty customizable, both mechanically and cosmetically.

Godin has some brilliant T-style guitars in their current lineup. Some of the better ones are out of your price range, but the Session Custom 59 can easily be had:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-Session-Custom-59-Maple-Neck-SAVE-Discontinued-Color-/182021954325?hash=item2a615a9b15:g:5zkAAOSwe7BWvhNl

Beyond that, I'd look at these from Reverend.
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/pete-anderson-eastsider-t/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/eastsider-s/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 3, 2016,
Quote by Fumble fingers
if satisfied with the rest of your gear

Yeah, when does that ever happen haha. I'm actually not satisfied with the rest of my gear. I front a performing Paddy Punk sort of 4-piece Irish-centric band ... and I've only ever performed on elec-acoustic, so I've slacked on my electric rig and just have enough for home based playing. I will, at some point soon, incorporate electric in to our shows so I'll be needing a better amp. I don't want/need to skimp on the guitar though just so I have funds to buy a top-notch cab or whatever. IF, though, the import G&L or some other is good enough that I can't justify buying US just to say I bought US, I'm ok with that.
Quote by TomInReno
My greatest fear is that I'll get a not-Fender and then have some sort of mild buyers remorse where I still feel the need to own an American Standard or whatever. I need you guys to build my confidence in something else if I go that route so that doesn't happen to me

Sounds like some introspection is in order.

Do you want a T-style guitar or do you want a Fender T-style? How important is that brand name to you?

See, my thing is, I don't diss Fender or Gibson for quality so much as I don't dig their ergonomics. I've yet to find one I liked to play.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

You can't really go wrong with either Fender or G&L at that price point - both can be pretty consistently relied upon to give you something that's good quality - but as far as the neck humbucker is concerned you can't really have your cake and eat it. If you get the 'bucker you'll have a neck humbucker sound, but even with a coil split you won't get a Telecaster neck pickup sound. The inverse is, of course, also true; you won't get neck humbucker tone from a singlecoil, of course. You've pretty much got to make the decision yourself - if what you like about Teles is the bridge pickup sound then it's not an issue. If you like the sound of a neck singlecoil then yes, you'd have to choose whether or not to sacrifice that for the 'bucker.

As far as Fender's concerned, you could probably pretty comfortably swing either AVRI or American Standard used for that money, depending on your preferences regarding fretboards, neck profiles and features. I'm rather a traditionalist when it comes to guitars so my purview is basically Fender's vintage-styled stuff, but it looks like the more out-there options are already seeing plenty of representation so hopefully that's not an issue.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
See, my thing is, I don't diss Fender or Gibson for quality so much as I don't dig their ergonomics. I've yet to find one I liked to play.

I'd be happy if I only ever owned Telecasters, but I can certainly see why you'd feel that way. How do the Reverends differ in that respect, though?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Apr 3, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
First, I'll state the obvious: when it comes to guitars, I'm an oddball. I have 2 T-style guitars, both of which are awesome, but neither of which is standard. Each is luthier made (so out of your price range, for one)- the first has a splittable bridge HB and a HB-sized P90 in the neck; the other has a Charlie Christian in the bridge and a singlecoil in the neck.

So, among production guitars, any of the various G&L ASATs- USA or Tribute- would be among my first options.

Carvin/Kiesel would be a great deal, too. Their version is pretty customizable, both mechanically and cosmetically.

Beyond that, I'd look at these from Reverend.
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/pete-anderson-eastsider-t/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/eastsider-s/

Luthier-built is not NOT an option, I suppose. My pride and joy acoustic is custom made, so I'm not opposed to that at all - BUT, I know I can get a lot more guitar "production" than I can get from a custom build for the $$ and I don't have the patience right now to wait on one to get designed and built. I could probably stay within that price range if I custom build with a simple oil finish, which I actually prefer, but I don't want to digress too far. I am looking production at the moment. I'll check out those Carvins and Kiesels for sure.
Last edited by TomInReno at Apr 3, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

I'd be happy if I only ever owned Telecasters, but I can certainly see why you'd feel that way. How do the Reverends differ in that respect, though?

One thing is that Reverends essentially have only one neck in their current production lineup. If you've tried any Reverend made in the past decade or so, you know what every neck feels like.

Then there's all the other stuff- korina bodies, pin-lock tuners, graphite nuts, and Reverend's Bass Contour control.

I said I haven't found a Fender or Gibson I liked the feel of...well, Reverend is the opposite. They seem like they were made for me- I've liked every one I've touched.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sounds like some introspection is in order.

Do you want a T-style guitar or do you want a Fender T-style? How important is that brand name to you?

For sure. The brand name isn't imperative to me, or else I wouldn't be considering other brands. It's just the "original" and all that sort of thing... I think that's why G&L, I may still feel like I'm playing a "real" tele, being designed by the same guy and all. I know there are those out there that feel like once you get an American Standard, you've sort of arrived or whatever.. "Ok, I finally have my American Standard - on to other things..." It's silly, but I think deference is paid to the "original" - perhaps rightfully so?
...and I just stumbled onto this:

https://reverb.com/item/1999977-reverend-eastsider-s-and-t-2016-satin-mulberry-mist

The seller is selling a pair of limited edition color S & T Eastsiders as a set.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
One thing is that Reverends essentially have only one neck in their current production lineup. If you've tried any Reverend made in the past decade or so, you know what every neck feels like.

That is a good point; I love pretty much all Fender neck profiles but if you have a strong preference you have to have some idea what you're looking for (I'm not trying to say that you haven't looked hard enough - if you just don't like them, you just don't like them, and you've probably played a lot more than I have), though "modern C" seems to be a pretty widely agreeable one. Fretboard radii are a point of possible contention too.

Quote by TomInReno
For sure. The brand name isn't imperative to me, or else I wouldn't be considering other brands. It's just the "original" and all that sort of thing... I think that's why G&L, I may still feel like I'm playing a "real" tele, being designed by the same guy and all. I know there are those out there that feel like once you get an American Standard, you've sort of arrived or whatever.. "Ok, I finally have my American Standard - on to other things..." It's silly, but I think deference is paid to the "original" - perhaps rightfully so?

Would you consider American Vintage Reissue stuff? You need to be able to get on with the 7.25" fretboard radius (I love them, many hate them), but used you should be able to get them in your price range and they give you a bit of flexibility in terms of neck profiles and aesthetics (in general, '50s ones tend to be chunkier, one piece maple necks and brass or steel barrel saddles, '60s ones tend to be thinner necks, rosewood fretboards and threaded saddles) while you're still definitely getting "the original" (which, I would argue, goes rather beyond just a brand name, but obviously isn't everything).
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
if you need neck shape , radius and width options G&L has 7 different shapes and sizes now on the US models , the tributes have just one size but it's like a standard Fender if you didn't order anything special

Tom , I actually have a G&L with Leo's hand written signature in the neck pocket , can't get much more Fender than that ...lol
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Apr 3, 2016,
Those Reverend Eastsiders look pretty swell. Compound neck radius, phase switching tone pot, graphite nut etc. etc. Lots of guitar for ~900 bucks. I'm not over the moon about any of the finishes, though. I need wood grain haha... I haven't seen any natural finishes on any of them?
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Would you consider American Vintage Reissue stuff? You need to be able to get on with the 7.25" fretboard radius (I love them, many hate them), but used you should be able to get them in your price range and they give you a bit of flexibility in terms of neck profiles and aesthetics (in general, '50s ones tend to be chunkier, one piece maple necks and brass or steel barrel saddles, '60s ones tend to be thinner necks, rosewood fretboards and threaded saddles) while you're still definitely getting "the original" (which, I would argue, goes rather beyond just a brand name, but obviously isn't everything).

All guitars are considered! I've eyeballed a few vintage reissues. I guess I should list some MUST HAVES, so we can possibly narrow the field.

Natural or translucent finish. I need to see grain - I'm weird that way.
Maple Fretboard
2-pup (S on the bridge)
6 saddle (My ear does not tolerate intonation problems - even little ones)
Those Reverends both come in tobacco bursts, as I recall, but they usually have some kind of opaque finish. Korina doesn't have the most exiting grain.

Yeah, the Reverends are really piquing my interest. Classic styling with some really tempting "upgrades" as you pointed out, Danny.. tuners, nut, etc. Anyone else have experience with these that really like them? Other votes for Reverend?
I realise this is no help but it's really up to you. A lot of people make nice teles (including Fender), it depends on what you want, how badly you want it to say Fender on it, etc. etc. etc.. You probably can get more for your money without Fender on the headstock (possibly not so much in the USA though since Fenders are probably as cheap in the USA as they are anywhere), but the flip of that is that if you ever go to sell it you'll get less back than if it had Fender on the headstock- plus it's probably more likely to sell in the first place. Assuming something drastic doesn't change in the market, of course, which seems unlikely at the moment but which is always possible.

I haven't tried any reverends.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
First, I'll state the obvious: when it comes to guitars, I'm an oddball.

Not sure you needed the qualification there

(hey you lobbed it up, I couldn't resist )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But it is sooooooo true.

Quote by TomInReno
Yeah, the Reverends are really piquing my interest. Classic styling with some really tempting "upgrades" as you pointed out, Danny.. tuners, nut, etc. Anyone else have experience with these that really like them? Other votes for Reverend?

As RevFan#1 around here (AFAIK), I'll just say what I've noticed about Reverends:

1) within a given model, there won't be a lot of options. Most are only made in 2-3 colors in a given production year, with the exception of limited editions or retailer-exclusive colors. Like the standardized necks, that helps keep costs down.

2) they're very consistent with their QC. I currently own 5 different Reverends, produced from @2006-2014, mostly purchased used. So far, the only issues I've had have been because of things done to them by their owners (by accident or on purpose).

3) anything they don't make themselves seems to be sourced from quality manufacturers- Wilkinson, Bigsby, etc.

I'm a little late to the party but I'll second what dannyalcatraz said a few posts back about Carvin. I have a TL60 and it's a sweet playing guitar. Carvin usually has some pretty good options as far as how you want your guitar built, so you may be able to order one to your specs. Price is generally pretty competitive too.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
If I were buying a tele (and I still haven't gotten around to it), I'd buy a *tele.*

That, to me, means the traditional tilted single coil in the bridge with the barrel saddles and the traditional lipstick-style single coil in the neck position. It means a bolt maple neck and all the other basic tele bits and pieces.

Okay, *one* modification. I'd reverse the controls.

But as I see it, if I buy a neck-through solid koa guitar with a tele (ish) shape, 25" scale, ebony fretboard, TOM bridge and tailpiece and a pair of humbuckers with a 2T-2V set of controls, I really shouldn't expect to hear or feel those things that a real tele brings to the table.

And since the original tele wasn't very fancy, I'd be okay with a basic butterscotch blond with a black pick guard. And that shouldn't be very expensive. I'm thinking that $300 or less should get me a guitar that's very much in the spirit (and sound) of the original.

Quote by dspellman
If I were buying a tele (and I still haven't gotten around to it), I'd buy a *tele.*

That, to me, means the traditional tilted single coil in the bridge with the barrel saddles and the traditional lipstick-style single coil in the neck position. It means a bolt maple neck and all the other basic tele bits and pieces.

The Bill Kirchen Mod?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM&sns=em

Quote by dspellman

But as I see it, if I buy a neck-through solid koa guitar with a tele (ish) shape, 25" scale, ebony fretboard, TOM bridge and tailpiece and a pair of humbuckers with a 2T-2V set of controls, I really shouldn't expect to hear or feel those things that a real tele brings to the table.

And since the original tele wasn't very fancy, I'd be okay with a basic butterscotch blond with a black pick guard. And that shouldn't be very expensive. I'm thinking that $300 or less should get me a guitar that's very much in the spirit (and sound) of the original.

$300-$400, I could get a reasonable partscaster and have plenty left over for a half-dozen micro terrors.. hmmmmm

I'm totally with you re: the "teles" with 'buckers, far too many tone/volume combinations. Could get the best of all worlds - snag a body, some G&L pups, some AllParts bits and bobs and OH NO I'VE GONE CROSS EYED.
FWIW, if you're thinking in those terms, Carvin sells kits, blanks and parts, too.

http://www.kieselguitars.com/kits/
http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitarparts/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 4, 2016,
I just got off the phone with my pop, who has played every Tele known to man to ask his advice. He's probably the best player I've met personally, totally a classic country Tele player - double stop madness... so I thought he'd steer me toward some gem of an instrument. After he asked me when I learned how to play a decent lead anyway (sweet guy, my Pop), he said don't spend any more than a used MIM Tele and buy better pickups if I ever get dissatisfied with it. Of course, he's never owned a guitar that didn't end up in a pawn shop so...

I guess that's the "don't buy more guitar than you deserve" philosophy, or at the least the "it's all in your hands anyway" philosophy.
There IS something to that. Certainly, the MiM, MiK and similar $300-600 guitars .(from almost all brands) are made better than analogous guitars of 2 decades ago. No question that most are either gigable as-is or can be made gig-worthy with minor investments in time or money.

But some precious little princesses- such as myself- can detect and be put off by certain minor differences that others might not even notice. For me, Fenders don't feel "right".

It depends on what kind of relationship YOU have with guitars.

Yeah, I think there's something to that, too. I mean... With computer controlled machining and the rest, the curve in quality must level out at a certain point and the difference in price can't be justified by objective quality differences.

I'm just at a crossroads of buy once and grow in to it, or cheap(er) and see what happens down the road. I'm a good player, by any standards, but still - do I need the difference between a 600 and a 1200 dollar guitar? Practically speaking, no I guess. Historically, I'm a fellow of few guitars, so I don't see myself ever having more than one Tele of any type. It was all I could do to buy a back up acoustic and that was because I needed a neck reset done and had a gig

I think maybe an imported ASAT is the way to go. Hard to find anyone with anything bad to say about them.
Last edited by TomInReno at Apr 4, 2016,
IMHO, G&L Tributes are a great bargain.

If you do decide to go the inexpensive route with possible upgrades, be sure to check in the relevant forums for additional help!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587493

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1546485

And, FWIW, here's another nice old T-style: Robin ceased making guitars, then became Rio Grande Pickups at some point.

https://reverb.com/item/1954820-1995-robin-wrangler-handmade-in-houston-tx-cream-finish-kinman-pickups

Quote by dannyalcatraz
But it is sooooooo true.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Where's the best place to pick up an ASAT Tribute? Any online shops that are particularly pleasant to deal with? Just want my money to go to someone deserving of it and not a impersonal corporate whatever if possible.
There's usually a good selection on Reverb.com from a variety of sellers- stores and individuals.

Well, that's odd. They don't seem to make the semi-hollow in an SS configuration in the tribute line.
Guitarsandeffects.com happens to have many USA G&L ASATs in stock right now. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/page5.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 5, 2016,
Page 1 of 2