So I'm 14 and I don't have a lot of cash to splash out on all these $800 cabs and such to get a metal tone but I do need a new amp since apparently the Marshall MG30CFX "sounds like shit" I do have it paired with a Boss metalzone mt2 but idk according to most guys on here it's shit and I need to spend wads of cash to have a good tone. My parents aren't poor but they're not willing to spend hundreds and hundreds on my gear so I have to save myself. I've had my eye on a peavey vypyr 100 and I was wondering would it be my best choice? I really want something soon as I'm becoming really paranoid and anxious about my tone when I play and it turns me off playing.Do I really need a new amp?the gigs my band would be playing wouldn't be TOO big right now. I'm starting a band soon and I don't want to sound shitty, so any amp suggestions? All this talk about having to spend tonnes on tone turns me off playing guitar..Btw I have an ESP ltd eclipse with Emg pickups.
If your guitar tone sounds like shit to you (whatever anyone else says) then it really is time to get a new amp.

You guitar tone will drastically improve with a Peavey Vypyr. If possible, get a Vypyr Tube 60 used on Ebay. They're better than the regular Vypyrs because they have the valve power section similar to a 6505.

What is your budget?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
General thought: Just because people tell you some part of your equipment is bad doesn't make your tone and equipment bad. If you are happy with your tone and it sounds not like complete white noise (unless you are doing old school black metal but that's besides the point) when you record something everything that works for you is as good as anything else. I saw lots of guitarists that use Harley Bentony guitars live and it works.
Also: A pedal does not make a shit amp sound good. It's just not possible.

About the new amp:
I have a Peavey vypyr tube 60 myself and i am very happy with it. It works great for recording and can also be as loud as you want. I see that other people hate on it because it's a modelling amp and stuff but from my experience it's one of the best amps you can get as a beginner.
Other amps you might want to check out are the Blackstar HT series(depending on what you want exactly). I played an HT Studio 20 recently and liked it a lot.
Maybe someone else can give you some input on the Orange Terror amps? I always wanted to test one but never had the chance to play one myself.

As always, try to play as much amps as possible yourself because everyone is different. Don't rush yourself into buying a new amp just because you want something new.
Honestly, the metal-zone is a good pedal for the price. Most players just can't dial it in well.

And there seems to be a general consensus on this site that Peavey Vypyr's are sheer awesomeness. (I've never used one, can't speak to it).
I think at 14 you should just pick what sounds to you. Guitar amps are pretty expensive. Are you going to be able to tell that it sounds better? Are the gigs that you are going to play micced or unmicced? Are you going to need all of your own amps when you play? Is lifting a 60 pound amp by really awkward handles going to stunt the crap out of your growth?

A few years ago the sweet spot in amps was still at around 1000 bucks. Now it's much cheaper.
You can get pretty great sounding combos new for 600-800 bucks. You can get really nice used tube amps for even around 300.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I'd recommend the Peavy Valveking and whatever cab you can find with Vintage 30s. If you live in Europe you should look into the Harley Benton Vintage cabinets. The G212 costs 225 Euros and the G412 399 - brand new, that is. If you can dig up a Valveking 100 head and a G212 on the used market it could run you as low as 400 Euros in total for a rig that is an absolute blast for the money.

If the Valveking is in short supply and you're not going to play much else the metal the Bugera 62XX (6262 is the newest version I think) is a clone of the 5150/6505 with cheaper parts. The first generation of the 62XX gave up pretty quickly, but I hear that they've fixed the serious issues with the amp, so now it should run fine.

And as always, try before you buy if possible. Good luck!
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Honestly, the metal-zone is a good pedal for the price. Most players just can't dial it in well.

Nah, it is actually a terrible pedal. Just like pretty much all distortion pedals that cheap. A pedal that is so difficult to get a usable tone out of and even when you do, isn't very good anyway, is not what I'd call a good pedal.

This is just my opinion obviously, but just because someone owns one and feels insecure about how they sound isn't going to make my opinion of the pedal change.

And there seems to be a general consensus on this site that Peavey Vypyr's are sheer awesomeness. (I've never used one, can't speak to it).

They're the best-sounding budget modelling amp on the market for high-gain tones, and since so many new kids on this site want a good metal tone on a budget, it only makes sense to recommend it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I would tell you to never rule out a cheap Peavey solid state amp. I play through a Peavey XXL 212 combo and that thing is totally awesome. The combos are pretty hard to spot, although I saw one in ROUGH shape on GC's website for only $179 last night, but the heads are all over the place.

Another good amp for a kid your age that is cheap and will last you awhile is the B-52 AT amps. The AT100 head or the AT212 or the AT60 112. Those can be had for pretty cheap and they are all tube amps with a great high gain design. I just found a 212 on Music Go Round for $400.

I know you're young, but when it comes to buying an amp, don't rush it. Don't be taken into the light of a huge brand like Marshall or Mesa that may not sound like you want to. Watch some YouTube videos and go play stuff in the store. Tube, solid state, modeling...it don't really matter. Good luck!
While I am not fond of modelling amps the Vypers do sound better than Line 6 or the Fender Mustangs from my experience, most on here will steer you away from solid state (and I would too at least for most of them) Randall has some decent S.S. amps for metal and can be a good choice for a begginer on a budget. I have a 6505+ half stack and Mesa Roadster 2X12 combo, but I also have an S.S. Randall RG75 1X12 combo with an upgraded speaker and it sounds pretty damn good.

Tube amps are the way to go but often the affordable models leave a lot to be desired, Peavey 6505 combo can be found fairly cheap and with a speaker upgrade make good metal amps. Patience is your friend, save some money and keep your eye out on the used market you may be able to score a decent tube amp for the price of a new modeller.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 4, 2016,
I honestly am new to metal and basically all the amp stuff in general but would a peavey xxl 100 head with a behringer 4x12 for €330 be good or should I look elsewhere? I highly doubt it but just ask it..
Last edited by Guitar_Noob325 at Apr 4, 2016,
Quote by Guitar_Noob325
Actually I'm fairly convinced the vypyr is my best bet..

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

go for a used 30, avoid the 15, the small speaker sucks.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Having at least a 12" speaker is going to give you more mileage. Also, if you want to practice incognito, the 3.5mm jack is there. The thing I like about it is trying the different amp models to see what I like with the clean and dirty channels. If you keep at it, down the line you can have at least some idea of what you might want to go with for an upgrade.

For reference, I was able to find my 30W for around $90 used + shipping.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by Guitar_Noob325
I honestly am new to metal and basically all the amp stuff in general but would a peavey xxl 100 head with a behringer 4x12 for €330 be good or should I look elsewhere? I highly doubt it but just ask it..

You'll carry the XXL head with you for a lot longer. I've owned a Vypyr and it's not a bad amp. Peavey probably designed it with more thought than any of the other manufacturers that came before. The XXL is a superior amp just in terms of sound quality and feel and it's quite a bit simpler to dial in without all of the extra parameters.
I found a peavey XXX combo for 250 in my area. I am not sure how close that is to fair market value but this thing has gain for days and I love the Ultra channel.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Orange micro dark with a boost pedal and cheap used cab ?x12 and you have a great foundation for some HEAVY tones.

I personally have the regular micro terror and run a fulltone OCD and a boss delay through a 4x12 and it will MELT faces!

Not to mention it is loud enough for small gigs especially if miced and it weighs nothing so portability isnt an issue.
Also if you are getting a tube amp make sure at some point you buy a power conditioner (few people understand the need or importance of this device) it is crucial to TONE and longevity.
I'm new to ultimate guitar and wanna see if anyone can help with recommending some good metal settings for the peavey valveking. I really like bands that have a hardcore metal sound like sepultura, machine head or biohazard
Quote by Elitoxicdawn
I'm new to ultimate guitar and wanna see if anyone can help with recommending some good metal settings for the peavey valveking. I really like bands that have a hardcore metal sound like sepultura, machine head or biohazard

You might want to start your own thread, then
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Get a big ass peavey trans-tube which people also say is shit. Sorry about the swears words.
Last edited by geo-rage at Aug 24, 2016,
Quote by Elitoxicdawn
bjgrifter why is that?

Thread hijacks are considered poor etiquette. Also, your inquiry is more likely to be lost in the thread and harder for you to find.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz