Page 1 of 2
Would seem a weird question to ask on a guitar site, but I am not as passionate about music as I used to be. It has become more of a side thing for me (which is fine), and I generally listen to music depending on the situation e.g. house music for doing sports,chill out music at work etc.

When I tell people I play music now I get the feeling many think its a niche hobby and somewhat antiquated in many peoples minds.
Literally the only thing in life I have a passion for.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I'd be pretty depressed if I was no longer able to listen to music, but at the same time, when I'm suffering heavily from depression, joy in music is the first thing it takes away from me. I find myself not able to bring myself to sing, have no idea what I want to listen to, just no interest in it.

So I'd say pretty important.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

It, photography and cats are the little trio of things that give me reason to continue existing.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I could live without it. The only problem is that life won't be as fun no more.
Very important, I'm either always playing guitar, or listening to music in some form or another.....silence bores me.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
How Important Is Silence To You?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Banjocal
It, photography and cats are the little trio of things that give me reason to continue existing.

you should photograph cats playing music.
make a calendar or something

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
you should photograph cats playing music.
make a calendar or something

With little guitars and stuff!

Does this inspire you enough?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Apr 4, 2016,
Quote by i_lovemetallica
With little guitars and stuff!

Does this inspire you enough?

Like how can suicide be a thing when pictures like this exist?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

I also have found that music is much less important to me than it used to be. I used to get home from classes and just listen to music for hours on end, or during school vacations I would immediately wake up and start listening to music and just do that all day. But besides just listening to it a lot, it was central to my whole identity -- listening to the right bands and having the right opinions was very important to me, it gave me a sense of self or some bullshit I don't know.

I still love music, and I still play in a band, and to me there is still no better feeling than performing live music, when you just cease to exist outside of that moment, becoming one with the art. And I still play guitar in my bedroom everyday.

But I listen to music less often now, and it is less central to my life than it used to be. And I feel more distant from the music, it does not define or validate my existence the way it used to. But that has its advantages, because now I do not care whether the music I listen to makes me cool or interesting, and also maybe I am a more sophisticated listener?
Quote by Hydra150
How Important Is Silence To You?

I feel like I'd be answering an OkCupid question if I responded to this properly..
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
It used to be my only thing, but I've got other hobbies now and music's kind of a side thing now.
Free Ali
I feel pretty much the same as you, I listen to it as background noise mainly and I still enjoy it for that but it's not really a passion anymore for me.
pretty important

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Important enough that I studied music at college and realized that college/university music turned my strongest passion into an ego based activity. I live with the regrets of not practicing 24/7 and not ever doing anything worthwhile with my wasted talent.

But despite my regrets, my philosophy is that you shouldn't put all your "happiness eggs" in one basket. If music is literally the only thing that makes you happy then you've got a problem, friend; I don't think any well adjusted person is as one dimensional as "music is my lyfe".
Quote by TobusRex
It's important enough to me to spend a lot of money on guitars

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Music is music. I like to listen to it and play it.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think the passion comes and goes a bit, as with passions for other things in life. A good way of keeping it alive is not getting too carried away doing the same thing all the time. Some days I'll write riffs, other days I'll work on some technique, record, improvise, study music theory or learn a new song. I'll even switch instruments now and again, or play with some new effects or gear. And sometimes I'll just sit back and listen. I find that making a list of things associated with my instrument that interest me: songs to play, dvds to watch, scales to try etc. - and picking from the list when I get bored really helps to keep me interested. As long as I have projects not spanning so many hours I lose sight of my goal I keep enjoying the time with my instrument.
I'f feel less people without it
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
I'f feel less people without it

The only way that works is if you stop feeling yourself without music.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Or stop taking MDMA
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've never been the type to say "music is my life". Many people I know have music on 24/7 but I only listen to a couple songs per day, and not every day. Although it's been an interest of mine for a long time, far longer than most other hobbies that I've abandonned, I can't really say it's my passion. Frankly, I've never felt truly passionate about anything.
I've always wondered what it would be like to be passionate about something to the exclusion of everything else.
Pretty important. I have other hobbies but listening to metal and playing guitar definitely are my favourite things to do in my free time.
music is everything to me

it's a hobby, it's a passion, it's my form of relaxation, and it's the best thing to produce and enjoy while under the influence

i can't imagine a life without music, its pretty much what i live for. I don't think i can function even one day without listening to songs/practicing my musical craft for at least an hour or 2.

without music in my life, a large chunk of my personality and skill set would be destroyed.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by MakinLattes
I've always wondered what it would be like to be passionate about something to the exclusion of everything else.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a crack addiction.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Music used to not be super important to me, and then I encountered a very severe depression that seemed to never end, and "rock bottom" became a meaningless term because I kept sinking lower than I could even imagine.

And then it became important to me because one pivotal album that I heard sang beautifully articulated lyrics that dealt with exactly the problems I was undergoing. I now listen to that album every day and it helped me get out of my depression and now I have basically a safety net from depression through this album. In other words, music either puts me in a good mood, or it keeps me in one when faced with losing the good feelings. That makes it very important, though I still wouldn't say "music is my life". It's definitely my passion now.
If there is a God, it's me.
music is the only hobby i'm any good at, and the one hobby in which i never feel like i'm wasting my time (as opposed to stuff like video games, if you can call that a hobby). half of my daydreaming time is spent searching for musical ideas and tidbits. stumbling upon a good riff makes me happy in a way that nothing else does.

however, i don't listen to music that much anymore. i still love it when i listen to an amazing song for the first time, but it seems like the more time i've spent with music, the less that happens. i usually buy new releases from my favorite bands, and sometimes at work i'll click around music sites and youtube trying a few random songs, but i've stopped listening to music on the go and when i'm at home i usually prefer to play guitar than to just sit and listen to music.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Page 1 of 2