Hey!

I have a problem when recording (I guess this does apply on other events as well though). My problem in essence is, when I release strings I accidentally cause natural harmonics as an after-effect of kind. It makes my recording really messy. I tried using a noise gate, but since these are in normal guitar range, it doesen't really do much unless I proceed to ruin my whole sound with it. I also tried just palm-muting the strings right when I release the note, but it doesen't help much either. Any help?
If you're using a butt ton of compression, it'll make the effect a lot worse so try backing that off.

Otherwise, this one boils down to technique.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I haven't had this problem before I changed the strings to my guitar, so I guess these new strings just bring out the flaws on my techinque. Guess I just need to work on muting those strings...
Quote by Kaseke
I haven't had this problem before I changed the strings to my guitar, so I guess these new strings just bring out the flaws on my techinque. Guess I just need to work on muting those strings...

Yep, new strings will shed harmonics left and right. I'm sure a combination of technique and maybe adapting your arrangement to have more pleasing harmonics/open strings between your shifts, you should be good to go fairly quickly.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Perhaps post a sample so we can determine the exact problem as well?
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Usually studio musicians change strings before a session, so to me it sounds like it is a problem related to technique.

Play on the new strings for about 3-4 days and they should settle in and get somewhat duller.

Are you sure you're not talking about fret buzz? That could happen if you changed gauges.
Essentially you'll have to change string height and do truss rod adjustments to alleviate the buzz, and the intonate at the saddle (bridge), look up Youtube videos or take it to a local luthier to do a proper intonation and setup.
Does your guitar have a sustaniac by chance?
I heard there was a switch on there that can make the string sound really high.