Hello,

I recently bought a Fender 72 Telecaster Custom MN (Mexico); I like the sound and the versality (it has a humbucker and the typical single-coil Tele) but I don't quite get used to the shape of the body (the upper corner where you rest your forearm is very uncomfortable to me).

Someone around here is offering a Gibson les paul tribute 60's (2013) and wants a Tele in exchange.

Of course I would try it before, but in case I just feel comfortable with the LP and like the sound, is that a good change in terms of quality/value?

thanks in advance.
Sounds like a great deal to me. I'm a little suspicious though because it seems too good a deal. Make sure it's not a Chibson Chinese fake Gibson.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74 at #33910204
Sounds like a great deal to me. I'm a little suspicious though because it seems too good a deal. Make sure it's not a Chibson Chinese fake Gibson.

He's not talking about a 60 RI.

It's the 60s tribute guitar. They are basically cheaper LP studios with p90s.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
not sure a LP will be much comfier where you rest your forearm.

there's no accounting for taste and you may well prefer it, but check it's actually comfier for you before you do the trade.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have many doubts because I love the fact that this guitar has the single coil pickup and the humbucker.
With the same guitar I can play songs without distortion, strumming open chords and also "crunchy" hard rock (let's say AC/DC style) just toggling a switch. I love this becasue I dont need to think wich guitar I will use for that or this song... Simplicity..

I am trying to place the guitar higher on my body, It feels better but the improvement is still significant when I change to my GS Samick (which is a lower quality guitar), and the difference in sound and touch over the frets is in favor of the Tele of course.

Any one has had this kind of issues?
It depends how you play, but yeah the Tele isn't always the most ergonomic guitar. While a Les Paul wouldn't necessarily be better, if you tend to pick near the bridge it would probably be more comfortable for that. I find the shape of a Tele wants me to pick over the neck pickup.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
It depends how you play, but yeah the Tele isn't always the most ergonomic guitar. While a Les Paul wouldn't necessarily be better, if you tend to pick near the bridge it would probably be more comfortable for that. I find the shape of a Tele wants me to pick over the neck pickup.

I would say I tend to pick closer to the bridge because I learnt to play guitar classic-style, with the instrument resting on my left leg, but actually I would say my pick usually lies just between the bridge pickup and the neck one, more or less in the middle (I'll pay more attention next time).

The fact that my forearm at its middle point is resting on the upper corner of the Tele pushes the body guitar to my right side and that moves the whole neck away from my body. The furthest the closest to the headstock, and that makes especially difficult to play chords like Fmaj, or anything around those frets, but generally for any position of my left hand.

Actually, I am thinking that most of the so-called great soloist guitar players dont play Telecaster and that's perhaps the reason. But I could be wrong because I am thinking of my childhood "idols" (Angus Young, Hendrix, Clapton, those from Iron Maiden, Rory Gallahger, Gary Moore, BB King, etc etc etc...).
Quote by frangs at #33911659

The fact that my forearm at its middle point is resting on the upper corner of the Tele pushes the body guitar to my right side and that moves the whole neck away from my body. The furthest the closest to the headstock, and that makes especially difficult to play chords like Fmaj, or anything around those frets, but generally for any position of my left hand.

Actually, I am thinking that most of the so-called great soloist guitar players dont play Telecaster and that's perhaps the reason. But I could be wrong because I am thinking of my childhood "idols" (Angus Young, Hendrix, Clapton, those from Iron Maiden, Rory Gallahger, Gary Moore, BB King, etc etc etc...).

Lots of great "soloists" played telecasters. David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Roy Buchanan, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Steve Morse... If you want to get a Les Paul cause you like the shape, that's perfectly fine. I wouldn't justify it with saying "Oh well, most lead guitarists don't play telecasters because I don't find it comfy" because most of the shortcomings of a telecaster are present in a Les Paul (if not more cause it's also bigger and heavier).
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't find the Les Paul to be any more comfortable to play than a Telecaster. I think you'll find a similar problem with the LP body shape. The LP is also heavier and I don't find it as comfortable on the leg - not really what I consider a "sitting down" guitar. Honestly, if you want arm comfort while playing, you should consider getting a Stratocaster.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Lots of great "soloists" played telecasters. David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Roy Buchanan, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Steve Morse... If you want to get a Les Paul cause you like the shape, that's perfectly fine. I wouldn't justify it with saying "Oh well, most lead guitarists don't play telecasters because I don't find it comfy" because most of the shortcomings of a telecaster are present in a Les Paul (if not more cause it's also bigger and heavier).

Ah,.. forget what I said about soloists... I was just rambling...
I mean, the point is that I do really feel the difference.

I thought that practising a lot I could minimize this feeling but the fact is that - after a few months playing guitar 2-3 hours day - I still feel the difference when I change to the SG shape.

I don't find the Les Paul to be any more comfortable to play than a Telecaster. I think you'll find a similar problem with the LP body shape. The LP is also heavier and I don't find it as comfortable on the leg - not really what I consider a "sitting down" guitar. Honestly, if you want arm comfort while playing, you should consider getting a Stratocaster.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the problem is when playing standing, not sitting.
Last edited by frangs at Apr 5, 2016,
Quote by frangs
I would say I tend to pick closer to the bridge because I learnt to play guitar classic-style, with the instrument resting on my left leg, but actually I would say my pick usually lies just between the bridge pickup and the neck one, more or less in the middle (I'll pay more attention next time).

Yup, if you pick over the neck pickup your forearm will be more in line with the waist of the guitar rather than the lower bout where it's at its widest which (for me at least), eliminates that problem, but it might not work with your style of playing. The reason I think a Les Paul could work better for you in that respect is that because of the carved top and the neck angle the bridge sits higher relative to the edge of the body so your arm (when your palm is rested close to the bridge) doesn't push back on the body so much.

Quote by ThunderPunk
Honestly, if you want arm comfort while playing, you should consider getting a Stratocaster.

Strats and Jags are the way to go for ergonomics, yeah (at least in my experience).

Quote by frangs
Ah,.. forget what I said about soloists... I was just rambling...

Okay, but since you mentioned him by name here's something to enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeqRtvOsWdQ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Yup, if you pick over the neck pickup your forearm will be more in line with the waist of the guitar rather than the lower bout where it's at its widest which (for me at least), eliminates that problem, but it might not work with your style of playing. The reason I think a Les Paul could work better for you in that respect is that because of the carved top and the neck angle the bridge sits higher relative to the edge of the body so your arm (when your palm is rested close to the bridge) doesn't push back on the body so much.

Definitely. It's my style which makes it uncomfortable to play the Tele, but I shouldnt be the only one hehe...

Actually, in the video you posted that's exactly how I place my right arm on the guitar body.... and the funny thing is Gallagher here is using a capo which shortens the neck and eliminates the problem. It happens that I was checking a few more Gallagher videos with a Tele and he was using always a capo . Anyway, I am quite sure there will be plenty of videos by great players (even Gallagher) soloing on a Tele.
I just found it funny because I checked 4 or 5 videos more and he was always with the capo.

Strats and Jags are the way to go for ergonomics, yeah (at least in my experience).

Jags means Fender Jaguar, isnt it?
I dont like the guitar at all, nor the Strat hehe.... but I probably should give them a chance. I also used to hate the Telecaster but when I was to buy a new guitar I asked which one was great in terms of versatility and the Tele won ( and more with this combination of single coil and humbucker).

I have been looking for some strats and I think they also make them with single-coil and humbucker. I just found it because I never payed attention to them before.

EDIT: This should be quite versatile with the pickups combination it brings, dont you think? For playing hard rock to clean open chords (although I dont like the body shape)
It's the Fender Pawn Shop Jaguarillo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9P-HjA83F4
Last edited by frangs at Apr 6, 2016,
Guys please help.

I am going to try a 2008 American Standard Fender Stratocaster with a minihumbucker on the bridge (the guy includes also the original pickup).

Mine is a Tele Custom Shop 73 MiM, bought only 5 months ago (with a small ding on the upper side of the body).

In case I just like the Strat... Do you think is a fair change?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He's not talking about a 60 RI.

It's the 60s tribute guitar. They are basically cheaper LP studios with p90s.

Actually the 2013s have Burstbuckers(not the pro or anything fancy). And an automatic tuner thing.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by frangs
Guys please help.

I am going to try a 2008 American Standard Fender Stratocaster with a minihumbucker on the bridge (the guy includes also the original pickup).

Mine is a Tele Custom Shop 73 MiM, bought only 5 months ago (with a small ding on the upper side of the body).

In case I just like the Strat... Do you think is a fair change?

trading a MIM for a MIA is typically a safe move. since it's a 08 standard strat i think you'd be fine.

IF it's an '08 standard strat. not a partscaster etc.

but if anything is messed up like frets worn to the wood etc, it's not a good deal.

if it plays fine and is legit, you're safe. imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Actually the 2013s have Burstbuckers(not the pro or anything fancy). And an automatic tuner thing.

The pro isn't any fancier than a regular burstbucker and the regular line all had robot tuners that year. That doesn't mean the guitar isn't a cheaper studio.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The pro isn't any fancier than a regular burstbucker and the regular line all had robot tuners that year. That doesn't mean the guitar isn't a cheaper studio.

No, but in the post I quoted, you did mix them up with the current 60's Tribute line, which have P90's. The 2013's didn't.

I just added the bit about the crappy robot tuners because they suck and we hates them, precious.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, but in the post I quoted, you did mix them up with the current 60's Tribute line, which have P90's. The 2013's didn't.

I just added the bit about the crappy robot tuners because they suck and we hates them, precious.

Fair enough.

Manditory robot tuners were an awful idea. Like, the amount of people posting about swapping them out immediately was funny
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Fair enough.

Manditory robot tuners were an awful idea. Like, the amount of people posting about swapping them out immediately was funny

I gave them a chance.

But the G and high E were always flat, and not just after the first couple of attempts.

They didn't hold in tune too well either.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I gave them a chance.

But the G and high E were always flat, and not just after the first couple of attempts.

They didn't hold in tune too well either.

Yeah and that's kind of important being tuners and all
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Replaced with a £30 set of Gotohs, and they hold in tune just fine(and not just according to my tin ear).
Quote by Diemon Dave
At the moment I have these options. I think the "best" guitar is the Strat 2008, but taking into account how old is every guitar, Which one would you choose? I appreciate versatility as I want to play classic, hard rock, R&B, not always with distortion.

- Fender American Standard Stratocaster 2008, with a Seymour Duncan mini-humbucker at the bridge (plus the original pick-up), No case, (I perhaps will have to add 100 or 200 bucks)
(Invalid img)

- Gibson Les Paul Tribute 60s, year: 2013, Bought by the owner 3 months ago
(Invalid img)

- Fender Stratocaster Special Edition MiM 2004

-Ibanez AGS73FM Artcore, 2016, bought by the owner 3 weeks ago:
throw the strat in a gig bag and run.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^this. so much this.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
yeah that's what i was thinking too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?