My guitar is Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top.

When I play some certain frets on certain strings, there's this weird buzz that I don't like. I tried changing action, adjusting the bridge, saddles, but it's still there.

Now, what makes it weird, is that it it doesn't come from where the string meets the fret, it doesn't come from the bridge, saddles. The buzz comes from between the string and neck pickup. However, when I sometimes tilt the guitar vertically, it goes away.

So yeah, that looks really weird to me. Anyone has an explanation? What could be causing it and how could I fix it?
I had this with my G-400 for a while, I suspected something in/under the pickup rattling but I never checked before I sold it on. The retaining wire on the bridge is the first thing I'd check, though, since it's easy to tell if it's the problem or not (i.e. by taking it off).
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Sounds like maybe the pickup height spring is rattling, or there's something in the pickup cavity. Only vibrating at certain frequencies.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by RCA1186
Sounds like maybe the pickup height spring is rattling,

Can't believe I never thought of that

That seems to me the most likely cause.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
It might be hitting the higher frets at the high part of the neck, when you are fretting the string down. If there isn't enough bend (relief) in the neck, no matter how high you raise the action it will still buzz.

Fret the string at the 1st and the last fret (21 on Les paul I think). the string should have room between it and the fret at about the 12th fret. If there isn't enough space there, you need to loosen the truss. As far as how much space...you can look that up. A good rule of thumb is you should be able to get a piece of standard paper under there without it hitting.

You probably just need to adjust the truss rod. You need to "loosen" the rod (counter clockwise) about 1/4 turn at a time until it's better.

If you aren't comfortable with doing that...take it to a shop.

People are really scared of adjusting the truss rods, but you really won't do any serious damage if you just adjust is 1/4 turn at a time...or even less.
Last edited by pressureproject at Apr 4, 2016,
Throwing this out there as a possibility.

My SG has a weird buzz/rattle at times as well and I found that it is actually the pick-up toggle switch. It only happens when it is in the bridge pick-up position - the neck and neck/bridge combo are fine. It doesn't effect the sound coming out of an amp at all, but at low levels or playing unplugged I'll hear the buzz/rattle.
Quote by jonathon.hass
Throwing this out there as a possibility.

My SG has a weird buzz/rattle at times as well and I found that it is actually the pick-up toggle switch. It only happens when it is in the bridge pick-up position - the neck and neck/bridge combo are fine. It doesn't effect the sound coming out of an amp at all, but at low levels or playing unplugged I'll hear the buzz/rattle.

I have had the same issue with cheap toggles, replaced them with Switchcraft just because it bugged me, never effected the sound through the amp tho!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge